www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 9th, 2008, 11:41   #1
Logdog

Default TDI in a 1969 VW van?

A buddy just stopped by to look at my 1.6 TDI in the 1966 Volvo and asked if it is possible to put a diesel in his 1969 VW van. I told him I didn't know of one being built, but that I knew where to go to find out. Have any of you seen a diesel in an air cooled VW?
Logdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 19:16   #2
roeslem

TDI(s): 03 jetta
Default tdi van

i haven't done it yet but i'm collecting the parts to convert my 79 van. so yes i believe it is completely doable. i was at a vw show this past weekend and a fellow there had converted a single cab bus into a car carrier flatbed and was powered by a tdi.
roeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 20:31   #3
Logdog

Did you get any photos by chance? I don't know much about the air cooled equipment, but I wouldn't be surprised that it could be done. I could see either adapting to the existing transaxle or modifying a later transaxle and splicing it in the halfshafts. I am sure that there is a way to have a really reliable, unique vehicle when you're done. Would you be willing to start a thread to document your process?
Old November 10th, 2008, 21:26   #4
BleachedBora

I'm putting together a list of engines that people would want to use for such things, I have a couple of people exploring the possibility of a 1.4 TDI; I also have a couple of 2.5 TDIs, a 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 TDI which are all available.

PM me if you're interested

No, you don't want to know the price of the 5.0 V10
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 21:42   #5
Logdog

It seems that the 1.4 would be a bit small. The 2.5 TDI sounds pretty interesting. It would make a good engine for my 1966 Volvo. What did this engine come in originally? Is it an inline engine? What years was it produced?
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:50   #6
rsxsr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.25 mpg over 7200 mile trip.

If you have the space and can weld and fabricate, anything is possible. The better your skill set, the better the result. A 69 camper would be a good candidate because fabricating an engine cradle would be fairly easy and there would be plenty of room. I had once considered putting an NA 1.6 Diesel in my 68. Realizing the work involved and the age of the bus, I opted for the newer diesel vanagon and then converted it to a TDI. The main obstacle that needs to be overcome is the cooling system. You want efficiency, but want to maintain that stock appearance. I have seen some clever tricks including a VW brazil type2 radiator setup on the nose. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:B...mbi_Diesel.jpg
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:41   #7
flycut

TDI(s): 03 bug

HI i have a late model 6rib 091 bus trans in my sand car is thier and adapter plate and flywheel avail to bolt to it . not to worried about cooling can fab any braket needed for radiator . o ya my tdi is a 03 bought hole bug . debating driving it after engine repair or tdi dunebuggy.
flycut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 12:51   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

FWIW, you can buy BRAND NEW in Brazil, right now, a 1.4L ethanol powered T2 Bus. As in, fresh from the factory as VW designed.

Lots of people have done inline transplants into T1, T2, and T3 Buses originally equipped with air or water cooled boxers. I am working on a T3 TDI conversion right now.

The biggest issue with doing this is the gearing. The boxers are all very short stroke engines, and the transmissions they get bolted to are geared very low. But that is OK, because a boxer will happily sing along at 4000, even 5000 RPMs all day long. A 3-speed automatic 2.1L Vanagon engine needs 5200 RPMs to do 75, but it will do it no problem. A TDI bolted to the same transmission starts to peeter out around 4000 (it has little useable power past 3500 really) which means you need to gear them higher if you want them to be happy at highway speeds.
Old November 20th, 2008, 07:48   #9
rsxsr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.25 mpg over 7200 mile trip.

Oil hammer, can those new brazilian buses be brought into the US? How would you go about purchasing one?
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:03   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxsr
Oil hammer, can those new brazilian buses be brought into the US? How would you go about purchasing one?
Nope.
Old November 20th, 2008, 18:11   #11
oldpoopie

Fuel Economy: whats that?

Buckweatdiesel is putting a TD, not tdi but similar, in his right now. I think its a 58?

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 17:38   #12
roeslem

TDI(s): 03 jetta

oihammer is correct on the trans ratio problem. the only realistic alternatives that i can picture is either converting to a type 1 (bug) or a porsche 911 5 speed transaxle which is the route i am trying to pursue. both trans are available in a 3.88 or 4.11 r&p with a overdrive top gear. not only will new mounts need to be fabricated but shift linkage will have to be rerouted and new cv axleshafts fabricated. there may be some sort of oem axles that will work but hard to tell until trans in place. i still believe it will be worth the effort so the project continues but oohhh sooo slowly.
roeslem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 18:00   #13
Logdog

Do the older vans still run the gear reduction hubs like the earlier models? I remember that they flipped the ring gear to the other side of the pinion and added the reduction hubs to get the gearing. Are there other ring and pinion ratios available for the old transmissions? How about simply removing the reduction hubs and putting the ring gear back on the side as used by the earlier bugs? I know that you would loose about 3-4" of ground clearance, but that might not be a bad thing either if you want it to handle better.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 18:42   #14
mogly
Veteran Member

There's a fellow in the UK that put a TDI into his T1 bus. It was featured in a few mags if IIRC. I believe that he posted a link here. Split Screen Van Club is the website in the UK.
The last year of the split bus, 1967, was the last year of the GRBs and then VW went with IRS in the newly introduced baywindows.
Over the years I've seen a few T2 buses with watercooled conversions in varying states of completion and quality. Personally I like the idea of using the stock Brazilian grill and rad mount. I would count myself in if anyone would organize a group buy on these. I'd love to convert my '74 Westy someday.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 20:21   #15
brucetmoose
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-winter, 46-summer
Default We use to own a '69 bus, how about split custom radiators ?

Ok - this would be a radical mod - but it would be very interesting - get custom twin water radiators sized to fit into the air vent cavities with electric fans. I'm not sure one could even buy something like this except maybe in the race car world. You could even mount oil coolers behind it to help reduce the heat load there too.
Demand 50/50 now! (50 MPG in all 50 states)
You can get any TDI you want at Alice'sDealership
brucetmoose is offline   Reply With Quote