www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 8th, 2008, 12:51   #1
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)
Default MikesTDI letter from VW timing belt interval

I am posting this re the benefit of MikesTDI. He asked me to post this for him.

He asked VW specifically about the timing belt change interval and VW responded to him with the an 80k interval. I've talked to Oilhammer who says its okay to 100k. Can you gurus chime in and let us all know your opinions on this. I've changed his name on the correspondence to his handle fyi.

---------------

Reference # 808106419
Dear Mr. MikesTDI:
Thank you for your e-mail requesting information regarding the maintenance on your Passat. I can understand you wish to take the best possible care of such an impressive car, and I appreciate the opportunity to respond.
We recommend the timing belt to be replaced at 80,000 miles on your Passat. The oil recommended to be used in your engine is VW 505 01 quality, fully synthetic oil. I am happy to clarify this information for you. For any further questions regarding the technical aspects of the maintenance on your car, please contact your local Volkswagen service facility.
As a valued member of the Volkswagen family, your questions are important to us. Again, thank you for your e-mail. If I may be of future assistance regarding this, or any other matter, please donít hesitate to contact me again by e-mail at www.vw.com, or through our Customer CARE Center at (800) 822-8987. If I am not available one of my colleagues will be able to assist you.
Sincerely,

Gabrielle De Land
Ext. 43544
Customer CARE Advocate
*Please do not reply to this e-mail, as we currently are unable to accept replies. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:53   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

it's interesting if they're officially backing away from the 100k interval. Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea based upon failures we've seen over the past few years. It's a risk simply not worth taking.

Take care, G!
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 13:00   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I have yet to see a single PD engine, or a single later ALH engine (2003) that has had any issues before 100k miles. I note the position of things, like the tensioner indicator, and how far 'off' the cam is before the lock pin will slide in, and in every case the PDs all still look like new.

Of all the ALH engines that have simply NEGLECTED the belt, the original one from the factory, but remained untouched otherwise, I have seen failures as low as 117k and as high as 196k. The later (textured style) belts that all the 100k mile ALHs get, which is the same material all the PDs already have, seems to hold up really, really well.

In fact, 99% of every timing belt or timing belt related issue I see on any VAG diesel engine is from neglect, or doing the job incompletely and/or improperly. And trust me I see PLENTY of that, as do others.
Old November 8th, 2008, 13:02   #4
leicaman
Veteran Member

Thank you for clarifying this Oilhammer. I will have mine inspected at 80k by a guru and then move on from there.
Old November 8th, 2008, 13:06   #5
leicaman
Veteran Member

Here's what VW says on their very own website re 2005 Passat TDI as of Nov 8, 2008:

Items to be serviced:

Engine Oil - change

Engine Filter - change

Timing Belt - check

V Belt/Ribbed Belt - check tension/condition

Air Cleaner - replace filter

Water Separator - drain

Fuel Filter - replace

Windshield Washer Fluid - check level

Automatic Shift Lock - check operation

Brake System - check damage/leaks, pad thickness, fluid level

Wheels - rotate from front to rear

Battery - check electrolyte level

Engine - check for leaks

Pollen Filter - replace

Cooling System - check level

Transmission - check for leaks

Tires/Spare - check condition

Driveshaft - check boots

On Board Diagnostics - check Diagnostic Trouble Code memory

Door Hinge - lube

Headlights - check and adjust if necessary

Exhaust System - check for damage and leaks

Sunroof Frame - clean and lubricate

Road Test - check system functions during and after

Power Steering - check fluid level

Automatic Trans. Fluid and Differential - Check for leaks / level. Add if necessary

Front Axle - check dust seals, ball joints, tie rods

Last edited by leicaman; November 8th, 2008 at 13:39.
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 16:51   #6
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

My stealer and my manual both say: visual inspection at 144,000 km (90,000 miles), and if all is well, you can motor on to 160,000 km (100,000 miles) where definitive replacement is required.
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:06   #7
volkswagendude
Veteran Member

^^^^+1. My manual writes the same.

Regardless of that, I had mine changed at 141000 km (87613 miles), even though visual inspection looked good. Overkill to say the least, but with RC2 and a heavy foot once in a while, it made sense in my world.
volkswagendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 14:40   #8
dhuddleson
Veteran Member

I have to agree with what you see in the printed manual, however the printed manual cannot dynamically update itself....

I have the DVD eBahn (Bentley) repair manual, and of course it includes the Maintenance Schedules. You get 1 year of electronic updates with the electronic manual, and I checked about once per month for updates and applied them all. The schedules were last updated May 16, 2008, and the 1.9 and the 2.0 PD diesel engine schedules are both revised with Timing Belts replacement (no, not check) at 80K miles (128K kms). Hey, I am not making it up, it's there in black & white. I also recently asked the local dealer when I need to do the Timing Belt, and they also want to do it at the same mileage. So, this is a fairly recent change, and maybe has not been widely published....

Perhaps VW is just erring on the safe side.... even if experience in the field shows that belts look good at over 100K miles.
2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T wagon (sold)
dhuddleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 18:44   #9
johnboy00
Veteran Member

If VW changed the interval and didn't inform me, doesn't that make them liable if my belt fails between 80,000 and 100,000 miles?
johnboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:26   #10
leicaman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy00
If VW changed the interval and didn't inform me, doesn't that make them liable if my belt fails between 80,000 and 100,000 miles?
Wouldn't that make it a safety drivability issue and thus under the NHTSA control?
Old November 11th, 2008, 20:44   #11
pepitotdi

Default Advice San Antonio TX

My 2005 VW Passat gls TDI is 90k and needs its timing belt to be replaced. I quote the local VW shop and they are asking for a handsome ammount of money for timing belt change. Is anyone aware of a good VW garage here in San Antonio TX, that will do the same for a more sensible ammount??

Thanks

Antonio
pepitotdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:04   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitotdi
My 2005 VW Passat gls TDI is 90k and needs its timing belt to be replaced. I quote the local VW shop and they are asking for a handsome ammount of money for timing belt change. Is anyone aware of a good VW garage here in San Antonio TX, that will do the same for a more sensible ammount??

Thanks

Antonio
Not sure what you mean by sensible amount, but in addition to the nearly $900 worth of timing belt you need, you should also read this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223941

The timing belt kit at our shop retails for about $350, the labor is 5 hours, plus $25 worth of coolant.
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:32   #13
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitotdi
Is anyone aware of a good VW garage here in San Antonio TX
Todd Herman at www.dieseltoyz.com is good with the older engines... I don't know if he's up to date on the later ones, but it doesn't hurt to ask... 210--683--9663

Read what's in Oilhammer's link... (and you could point Todd to it as well...)

Yuri.
ymz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 21:08   #14
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

Manuals says 100k (US) and I will start planning when at 90 based on time of year, use patterns, and how it works out for us (basically not to get caught out going past about 98k).

VW has to notify if that changes and I suspect like the oil, not all reps know or are looking in the right place. The new belts are new and improved.

I have seen some of that at work (we use the same type belt on conveyor drives). The old ones are being replaced by new ones that are 1/3 the width. Technology does change. In this case they went to carbon fiber material, and that's incredibly strong (its the same stuff they are making the new Boeing 786 fuselage and wings out of).
Old November 16th, 2008, 21:08   #15
Smokerr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5/32/28

Manuals says 100k (US) and I will start planning when at 90 based on time of year, use patterns, and how it works out for us (basically not to get caught out going past about 98k).

VW has to notify if that changes and I suspect like the oil, not all reps know or are looking in the right place. The new belts are new and improved.

I have seen some of that at work (we use the same type belt on conveyor drives). The old ones are being replaced by new ones that are 1/3 the width. Technology does change. In this case they went to carbon fiber material, and that's incredibly strong (its the same stuff they are making the new Boeing 786 fuselage and wings out of).