www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 8th, 2008, 11:43   #1
James256

TDI(s): 99.5 Jetta
Default Car starts but it won't move

I have a 99.5 Jetta and the car starts but it won't go any where when you put the car in any gear(it also doesn't stall if you put it in gear and just let go of the clutch). The clutch pedal is also very easy to push down to the floor now then when the car worked.

Any ideas whats going on?
James256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:48   #2
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by James256
I have a 99.5 Jetta and the car starts but it won't go any where when you put the car in any gear(it also doesn't stall if you put it in gear and just let go of the clutch). The clutch pedal is also very easy to push down to the floor now then when the car worked.

Any ideas whats going on?
__. That's pretty much what MzLauraLee's waggin was like when the clutch on is fragged entirely. But there are a number of things that could cause this. It's just my WAIG, of course, but I'm guessing you're in for a complete clutch rebuild/replacement.

__. The clutch system on these cars is a sloppy, fragile disgrace (similar to a lot of other systems on VW's.)
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:07   #3
James256

It's that serious? My neighbor said he had the same problem with an older vw and all he had to do was change the clutch cable and he was fine. I just don't wanna mess around with stuff I don't know.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:10   #4
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

You don't have a clutch cable in your TDI. I have one in my 67 bug, but not in the Passat. Somewhat old technology. You have a hydraulic clutch controller, with the brake fluid doing double-duty.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:12   #5
James256

haha thats what I figured.. try telling old people that.

So basiclly how much around does something like this cost
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:13   #6
dieseldorf
top post dawg

[fingers crossed]Could be something simple like the clutch slave.[/fingers crossed]

When did you last bleed the brakes and clutch? Do you know how many miles are on this old timer?

Welcome aboard, Jimmy!
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:15   #7
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

I tend to agree that you've got a clutch assembly to fix. The clutch hydraulic system, if bad, won't allow you to disengage the clutch. Sounds to me like that isn't your problem. I have no idea of the cost, haven't had to fix this myself (yet).

DD - wouldn't the slave cause the clutch to be always engaged? I thought air and crud in the system would just eliminate your control of the system and not allow the disengagement of the trust.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:23   #8
James256

Honestly I don't remember.. probably a while. Next month will be my 2nd year with the car.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:24   #9
northcentralportugal

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg

I had the same problem with a bmw and hydraulic clutch master cylinder had failed. Did you notice any abnormal clutch operation leading up to this? The first thing to check would be the level of the fluid in reservoir. Did you notice a warning Icon on the speedo display?
northcentralportugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:25   #10
James256

but it seems like the clutch is always engaged.. it doesn't stall or move anywhere and i'm pretty sure I didn't need to step on the clutch to start it
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:34   #11
James256

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcentralportugal
I had the same problem with a bmw and hydraulic clutch master cylinder had failed. Did you notice any abnormal clutch operation leading up to this? The first thing to check would be the level of the fluid in reservoir. Did you notice a warning Icon on the speedo display?
The clutch was fine everything was good and then nothing. Where would I check this out? and what would I do afterwards?
Old November 8th, 2008, 15:39   #12
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Did you check your shifter and cables? It's a long shot because of the way the gear cable hooks up, but it might have mysteriously disconnected.

Or, the shift tower mysteriously killed itself.

Either way it would just stay in N if that's where it was. Can you feel the gears engage when you move the shift lever, preferably with the engine off?

Does anything happen (noises etc) when you move the clutch pedal?
jcrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 15:55   #13
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

IF there was a problem in the clutch master cylinder that caused the pressure to stay in the slave cylinder, I can see this being the problem.

Two bolts will remove the clutch slave cylinder.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 06:58   #14
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog
IF there was a problem in the clutch master cylinder that caused the pressure to stay in the slave cylinder, I can see this being the problem.

Two bolts will remove the clutch slave cylinder.
__. It's very hard to say from a few symptom descriptions over the Internet, but I'm still guessing a blown clutch. VR6/V60 here he come!
Old November 9th, 2008, 07:28   #15
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench
__. It's very hard to say from a few symptom descriptions over the Internet, but I'm still guessing a blown clutch. VR6/V60 here he come!
Agreed.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote