www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old November 6th, 2008, 17:54   #1
dmullen

TDI(s): None
Fuel Economy: 26 mpg
Default Harbor Freight 6-1/4 GALLON OIL EXTRACTOR

I own a Jabsco oil changer but their hose setup is poor to say the least. This week, I saw an oil extractor at Harbor Freight that appears to be far superior but I do not know anyone who owns one and have never heard how well they work. They are about $140 in the store.

They operate by pumping them up with air from a compressor and I do not understand how this can create a vacuum that will remove oil through the dipstick.

Does anyone here own one?

Thanks
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 20:06   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

They may be operating not by pumping them up but by a venturi that creates a vacumn from the stream of air.
Old November 6th, 2008, 21:29   #3
velociT
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30ish MPG

If harbor freight charges $140 for it, it's truely worth $140. ;D
TDT for PD and now the Deuce Mafia Member #002

Then: 06 TDI 5M *sold*
Now: Ram 1500 ECSB, Subaru Impreza Estate | Both: CAI/Cat-back/Rotella T6
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 08:27   #4
daedalus
Veteran Member

I use the JABSCO and I think it works great. I have no problem with the hose setup at all. Maybe we are talking about 2 different Jabsco tools. Mine looks like this: (Actually my bucket is black, but this is the only image I could find!)

I'm curious about what the issue is you have experienced with the hose setup?
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles
SOLD at 140,800 miles - Torque Converter again! Now pushing a B6 gasser wagon
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:10   #5
dmullen

I have a real problem stopping leaks between that adapter hose that must be inserted into the larger hose. It is the one that reduces the internal opening so that the smaller vinyl hose can be inserted and then used in the dipstick opening. The plastic clips that the company provides have never worked properly and hose clamps sometimes work but usually also do not work every time.

The company have been great about tech support and sent new parts but it is an ongoing problem.

Now, I am thinking about putting a splitter with quick disconnects where the larger hose attaches to the pump and then using one hose with the adapter siliconed in permanently and another hose for empyting the tank.

If that does not work, I will cut my losses and buy something that is not a constant problem. I do not want to waste a great deal of time messing with this every time I need to change oil.

Last edited by dmullen; November 7th, 2008 at 10:14.
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:15   #6
daedalus
Veteran Member

They must have changed the design since I bought mine a few years back. There is no larger/smaller hose. Just a single solid line that runs the full length from the pump to the end.

I found a photo of mine that shows pretty well how the hose connects to the pump:
RocketChip Stage 1 -- 5 Micron fuel filter - EVO Thor skidplate -- Huper-Optik 50 tint - FrostHeater Coolant Heater -- Ventectomy - Chain-free at 100K miles -- Bosch 5V steel GPs -- Torque Converter done at 127K miles

Last edited by daedalus; November 7th, 2008 at 10:18.
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:39   #7
dmullen

The design is a lot different and yours looks much better than mine. Mine has a large hose that serves a dual purpose.

It uses a short (1" approx) small piece of hose inserted in the end to reduce the diameter of the opening so that the much smaller vinyl hose (similar or identical to yours) can be inserted to remove oil through the dipstick opening.

Once the oil is out, I must remove the vinyl hose and small piece of hose that was inserted into the larger hose and then the large hose is used to empty the tank by reversing the motor (with a switch).

My extractor is a few years old and has a white bucket.
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:57   #8
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

I have this unit and so far I am very impressed. Here are my notes on it:

-Suction is generated using an internal venturi and muffled exhaust.

-130psi sustained will net you 25"hg vacuum
-110psi sustained will net you 20"hg vacuum
-90psi sustained will net you 15-20"hg vacuum

-Air line adapter, replace it with a ball shut-off valve that has a standard air hose ball/swivel nipple (Lowes Sells both items for $5.00). This way you can connect your air supply using a standard fitting and and turn it on when needed. Otherwise the internal venturi will flow air anytime the air hose is connected. The unit comes with an odd coupler, it was the first thing I replaced and if memory serves me correctly it did not require any reducers or adapters meaning teflon tape + connector is all that was requried.

-The unit has an internal check valve that preserves the stored vacuum in the tank! I love this feature!

-VERY LARGE capacity, I can change the oil in the Mercedes (8.5 liters twice) and the VW once without emptying the tank!

-Excellent for extracting transmission fluid from the O1m!

-The unit comes with multiple rods and hoses. Don't get hung up on the plastic quality, the hoses are all easily replaced if you need a specific diameter for your car. They are simple compression fitting adapters so it's a 30 second swap out.

-Adapters are Steel and brass using o-rings to maintain the seal with the main suction hose, this provides a completely clean and mess free extraction of oil. The only issue I found is the hoses get really hot when extracting oil. Oil must be at operating temp to work optimally and maximize removal of the engines old oil...drainage to the lowest point etc. The unit will suction out cold oil BUT it is much slower and will require a lot of air (read noise)

-Suction hose, has a ball valve that allows you to stop the flow and recover the vacuum in the tank.

-Air compressor, The system works best with high pressure high volume. The venturi is metered, meaning it has a small orifice that reduces the volume of air required to make the unit work. This lowers the required capacity (CFM output of your compressor) so that most 4-6CFM @90 psi units will do the job. If you can maintain 130+ the suction level improves greatly and reduces your total time for extraction of the fluids.

-Noise, the unit has an exhaust muffler, so the nose is cut down and is best described as a moderate level continual "whooosshhhhh".

-Site gauge, you are able to read the volume of oil in the tank using a clear tube that shows the fluid level. eliminates the guess work when extracting large sump volumes.

-Other uses, Lawnmower, air compressors, transmissions, motorcycles etc.

Compared to a Pela, this thing knocks it out of the park. No pumping, no mess, no fuss! Also the tank is EXTREMELY easy to drain.

DB

Last edited by Drivbiwire; November 7th, 2008 at 13:14.
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 13:05   #9
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

So Pete, what's that thing called?
Old November 7th, 2008, 13:13   #10
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46149

DB
Old November 7th, 2008, 19:41   #11
dmullen

daedalus

Do you happen to know the model number of your Jabsco?

I would like to contact them and see if that hose on yours will fit on mine.

Thanks
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:39   #12
GaryF
Veteran Member

Princesss Auto up here sells them also(blue).
I bought one last spring $140 Can. and have had nothing but success with it so far. Used for lawn tractors/ ag tractors as well as the VW's Maybe not for everyone but sure makes oil changes quick and tidy. There is no way to reverse/pump it, just open the threaded steel cap and pour into a 5 gal container...Gary
GaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:56   #13
daedalus
Veteran Member

Default My Error - Sorry!

It is time for me to apologize for posting false information on the forum. It was an inadvertent error that may have sent some of you off on a tangent. dmullen asked for the part number. I went to the garage this morning to get it and found that my oil change system isn't a Jabsco at all - it's a SHURflo! They look to be identical and may even come from the same offshore factory. For what it is worth the SHURflo model number is 8050-305-426. West Marine is where I bought mine: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&ci_sku=151911

The motor is not reversible. It wouldn't help if it were since the output line from the pump only extends around 6" or so into the bucket. I drain mine by taking the bucket cover (with the pump attached) and place the output line into the top of the just-emptied oil jug. Place the suction line into the bucket and turn it on. The used oil is transferred to the jug in no time.

Continuing with true confession time: When finished I run a SMALL amount of mineral spirits followed by a pint or so of water through the system. It flushes the line and makes it easy to see where the oil flow is the next time around. Mineral spirits is probably not good for the pump but I use very little and it's been OK for three or four years.

Throwing myself on the mercy of the court!!!
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:44   #14
dmullen

Thanks for the reply. Look like I will go to Harbor Freight if my modification does not work.

Thanks for checking on that. I have never seen an extractor so similar to Jabsco but it looks better than mine. My motor is reversible so that the tank can be emptied. Trouble with that is that the content of the tank is not visible so it is all guesswork. A clear strip on the side of the tank would have helped a lot too.
Old November 8th, 2008, 13:59   #15
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

d, I use a 3/8 ID vinyl combined with a 3/8 OD poly for my Shur-Flo.
These are not the hoses that came with the pump, but I find they allow for greater flexibility and won't come apart during the extraction process.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote