www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 8th, 2009, 18:11   #31
gquenstedt
Veteran Member

Can anyone confirm if it is possible to remove the DSG without removing the control arm and without having to get an alignment?
gquenstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 17:58   #32
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Nope...need to remove them. It's tight enough with them removed!

I suggest you buy the stretch bolts needed for the subframe AND the control arm!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:54   #33
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Can't thank you guys enough for the detailed DYI steps, pics and follow-up regarding tools, one-time use items, etc. I suspect this will end up on my To Do list this year.

Am I correct in assuming this isn't that much more difficult than a TB job (with exception to alignment shop visit)? Seems to be one of the few jobs where a second pair of hands recommended for a weekend wrencher, such as myself.
Old April 1st, 2010, 17:39   #34
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

It more comparable to a clutch replacement. The trans has to come out enough to get at the flywheel.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old April 1st, 2010, 18:05   #35
Harvieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquenstedt
Can anyone confirm if it is possible to remove the DSG without removing the control arm and without having to get an alignment?
You do not need to remove the control arm or drop the subframe to replace the DMF for a DSG. You have enough room to get at the DMF bolts with the trans shifted forward and to the left with a tranny jack once it's seperated from the spline thus not having to have an alignment performed. In other words, the trans does not need to be completely removed to do the job. You just need to create enough room to get at the DMF and BINGO!. 4 hours will be plenty with the right tools and prior experience. Of course this all changes if you are doing this on jack stands as opposed to a lift. We have done several so far and it's really not that bad at all. Later!
Harvieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2010, 18:41   #36
Mach1

Fuel Economy: 49.3, 48, 21.2,19.99

Harv, you let the secret out, you are right you dont have to pull the suspension, just throw the engine around...

Its tight, but you can do it on a lift, Now jack stands are a little different...

Yes, the job can be done in 4 hours if you have done at least 3 of them. Then you know exactly how to do them and have a lift, and a trans jack.

I agree, not too bad of a job..The TTY's are rediculous...

2006.5 DE DSG, RC2, Sunroof, Rear airbags, 73K miles, 61MPG best.
2005.5 Jetta-5 SP, LSD, Spec S2, 110K, 48 mpg every tank. Best-49.3 mpg-LOCAL. ELF 506 0-30W/15K OCI/37PPM FE, Best=740 MPT, RSB Diesel custom 2.5DP/3" SS exhaust, Synthetic fuel, Koni lowering springs. One of the first Mark V Jettas to hit the street. Pkg 1, MFD, Autowipe, Auto-headlights, Auto-dim mirror, auto-climate. 248C=150HP RC2
2004 6L 89000 19MPG
2000 7.3 388 HP-818 FT lbs Propane
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 06:37   #37
lxturbo

TDI(s): 06 jetta

I just started one of these at work I had it out in about 2.5-3 hours (lift) . Does anyone know where to find torque specs I have been looking but have found none .Also which bolts are torque to yeild and how many folks are actually replacing them.

Last edited by lxturbo; April 4th, 2010 at 06:52.
lxturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 07:03   #38
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

TTY bolts are usually on the motor & transmission mounts, and the suspension. They are used on the mounts to allow the engine/trans to break away in the event of an accident.

Which torque values are you looking for?

Tony
Old April 4th, 2010, 14:07   #39
lxturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta
TTY bolts are usually on the motor & transmission mounts, and the suspension. They are used on the mounts to allow the engine/trans to break away in the event of an accident.

Which torque values are you looking for?

Tony
DMF to crank is the only one I would think would be real super important.

I wonder how many people replace the TTY bolts or just reuse them ?
Old April 4th, 2010, 23:32   #40
Mach1

Fuel Economy: 49.3, 48, 21.2,19.99

Service manual does wonders for torque specs and TTY fasteners to replace.

Most of the mechanics and dealers reuse the TTY's...

The gurus and techs(I am such) understand the importance and replace them..

3 hours to get it out is not bad for your first time..Did you drop the A-arm?

2006.5 DE DSG, RC2, Sunroof, Rear airbags, 73K miles, 61MPG best.
2005.5 Jetta-5 SP, LSD, Spec S2, 110K, 48 mpg every tank. Best-49.3 mpg-LOCAL. ELF 506 0-30W/15K OCI/37PPM FE, Best=740 MPT, RSB Diesel custom 2.5DP/3" SS exhaust, Synthetic fuel, Koni lowering springs. One of the first Mark V Jettas to hit the street. Pkg 1, MFD, Autowipe, Auto-headlights, Auto-dim mirror, auto-climate. 248C=150HP RC2
2004 6L 89000 19MPG
2000 7.3 388 HP-818 FT lbs Propane
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 04:29   #41
lxturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
Service manual does wonders for torque specs and TTY fasteners to replace.

Most of the mechanics and dealers reuse the TTY's...

The gurus and techs(I am such) understand the importance and replace them..

3 hours to get it out is not bad for your first time..Did you drop the A-arm?
Yes sir I unbolted the lower BJ and removed the arm and the aluminum crossmember. I am simply amazed at this car I will be getting one in the future. I am going in this morning to dig around alittle more going to check timing belt and other components. I am going to sell the job with new bolts ,I just hope my boss owner agrees with me on the TTY bolts and pushes for the customer to replace them. TTY replacement is kinda out of my hands all I can do is make the recommendation and show them what I need to replace. I want to do things right but we know how that works sometimes.
I want the liability part off my shoulders so to me replacement of the tty bolts esp. chassis parts is a major deal.
Old April 5th, 2010, 05:04   #42
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxturbo
TTY replacement is kinda out of my hands all I can do is make the recommendation and show them what I need to replace. I want to do things right but we know how that works sometimes.
Show them the factory manual; These show the TTY bolts are 'required replacement'. Also ETKA should show them as required replacement.

Tony
Old April 5th, 2010, 10:24   #43
jonathantingley
Veteran Member

Can somebody tell me how the transmission connects to the flywheel? I can't really tell from the pictures.
Thank you.
jonathantingley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:52   #44
MostroDiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: about 38 average...CT mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathantingley
Can somebody tell me how the transmission connects to the flywheel? I can't really tell from the pictures.
Thank you.
Looks like the normal affair. A splined shaft (not visible) protrudes from the transmission and mates with the splined center of the flywheel, visible in the transmission in a couple of the earliest photos.

The transmission is then bolted to the engine block.
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:55   #45
jonathantingley
Veteran Member

Yeah i was thinking something like that, just wanted to make sure before i start ripping mine apart.

Would all dsg Flywheels be the same? or are they different throughout the model years?
jonathantingley is offline   Reply With Quote