www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 30th, 2008, 14:33   #1
r2t2

TDI(s): '05 Golf
Default coolant drain location, '05 Golf

Halfway through a timing belt change on my '05 Golf using MOgolf's excellent demo instructions on an '04 Jetta, I'm about to change out the water pump. When I go to where I'd NORMALLY look to find a coolant drain at the bottom corner of the radiator there's an elbow... with no drain. MOGolf's picture show a nice drain T'd off from that elbow but maybe that was an upcharge for a better model OK, I could pull the hose and let it glug all over, but that seems like a real sloppy solution. Anybody know the secret location? And while I'm asking do you really fill the whole system through the coolant bottle? How do you burp the air out without a radiator cap?
r2t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 15:24   #2
r2t2

Tell me I didn't stump the experts... Nobody's drained the coolant from an
'05 Golf PD engine???
Old October 30th, 2008, 15:24   #3
bmwM5power
Veteran Member

I had the same prob with my BEW, pulled the hose, as for the filling part, I pulled another hose to "burp" the air, sounds funny but I found no other way to do this
bmwM5power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 15:31   #4
r2t2

Well... DANG! I think I'll stop at the dealer to see if I can get one of those fancy elbows so I don't create a super fund site at the next change. I guess I'll be putting my morter mixing tub to an alternate use. How about the fill? Just through the coolant bottle?
Old October 30th, 2008, 15:44   #5
MayorDJQ
Veteran Member

I can't comment on an '05, but when Herm did the timing belt on my '02, he had me aim the drain pan, and just took the water pump out. WHen it came time to refill, he just refilled at the bottle. I kept an eye on the level for a few days and added a little bit more over a few days. I didn't have any issues with air in the heater core, etc.
MayorDJQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 16:04   #6
r2t2

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid gumming up the whole belt area with coolant. Some things I just want to keep clean. How cheap can VW be to save
costs by not providing a drain? I mean you follow the hydraulics from the pump to the EGR to the oil cooler to the heater core to the where ever. All that complexity and they leave out a simple drain mechanism? I'm betting they make one and VW sells it for another model cause the '04 jetta sure has one and it looks an awful lot like my front end.
Old October 30th, 2008, 16:05   #7
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy: ☭☠

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2t2
And while I'm asking do you really fill the whole system through the coolant bottle?
Yep, it goes pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2t2
How do you burp the air out without a radiator cap?
You use a mityvac or oil extractor on the overflow hose to pull the air out of the system. Works like a charm.
Old October 30th, 2008, 16:12   #8
r2t2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy
You use a mityvac or oil extractor on the overflow hose to pull the air out of the system. Works like a charm.
Hmmm... clever. I never thought of that. Thanks. I always have fear of pockets of air getting stuck where they don't belong. Happened on an Isuzu in my past and burned up my valves pretty good. On the positive side it ran ok on two cylinders.