P1562 code help

golstho

TDI
06 jetta
got a p1562 code on 2001 tdi jetta auto. all the brake lights work. no other codes, but the glow plug light is flashing. CEL came on after cold morning start i read the code and cleared the code and it stayed gone for a few days until the next cold morning start. the car has been really had to start on cold mornings even after several cycles of key on for the glow plugs.

i know that p1562 is for the quantity adjuster upper limits, but is it possible that this is a problem with the glow plugs. do i need to replace them?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Try timing your engine first. This is often the cause of hard starts, such as you describe.

The ECM will steadily increase fuel as it tries to start the engine; eventually you hit the code limit.

I doubt if the glow plugs are the root of the problem.

If timing adjustment does not fix the problem you may need to adjust the QA block physically, to allow proper travel.

Dan

golstho

TDI
06 jetta
thanks dang144! i have a guy local that has a vag com but i am not sure if he knows how much to advance the fuel timing. how much do most people advance the timing? also where can i find good info on fuel timing as well as adjusting the QA block?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I was only suggesting setting the timing in the normal band. I would set it at the top line. As far advanced as you can set it, and still be in the band.

You can look on the Ross-Tech website for how to get to the timing graph.
Warm the car up to normal operating temperature.
Hook up the VCDS (or VAG-COM) and go to the engine module, measuring blocks, open measuring block 000. Click on basic settings and timing graph.
Read your timing.
If you need to advance it (move it toward the top of the graph.)
Shut off your engine, remove the upper timing cover (just clips on), loosen the three small bolts on the IP pulley, so they still have some friction - just barely loose. Then rest your arms on the car and grasp a wrench set onto the center nut of the IP, pull it forward just a mm or two. Tighten the bolts and check your timing again.
Keep adjusting until the timing is where you want it.

Search here for a more detailed procedure, or better yet, go on the Southeast forum and find someone who knows how to do it.

The QA adjustment is sometimes called the "hammer mod", I think. I have never done it.

Start with the simple stuff. Set your timing.

Dan

Last edited:

golstho

TDI
06 jetta
thanks dang144! great info. i am glad i found this site best info i have found for these cars!

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=43362

To adjust the injection timing:
-Hook up the Vag-Tool
-start car and read data blocks 002 and 009 in the "Basic settings" mode
-look at the timing graph and see where the numbers in blocks 2&9 intersect, if they are in the grey area on the "C" scale in the center do not adjust
-if the number intersect out of the grey area you need to adjust the timing

To adjust the timing:
-stop engine and remove top plastic belt cover
-use a 13mm socket and loosen, ONE AT A TIME loosen, replace and gently snug up each of the new bolts. The correct bolt should be gold in color, if not then it is blue this is a stretch type so you are limited to a very low torque while adjusting the timing, once the timing is set there is a higher final torque that stretches the bolt rendering it unusable if ever removed. Do not remove all three bolts at the same time or else you have to redo the whole timing belt because the pulley will come off!!!
-once the new bolts are in loosen them slightly and rotate the injection pump center bolt using a crecent wrench toward the front of the car to advance and toward the car to retard (advance makes the number intersection go higher on the graph and retarding makes the number intersection go lower on the graph)
-once the timing is set torque the three bolts and reinstall the belt cover

Drivbiwire's post has much better instructions than I gave.

Dan