Mercedes E270 CDI

AIRPOOP

Can anyone provide some info on this car? It is rumored to come to the state this fall, and although I can't afford one, I would like to know about it.

samiam

Veteran Member
TDI
A4,2001.5, red
Airpoop,

It's not a rumor- MBUSA and DC have both announced they will bring the 2.7cdi motor to the USA. If there is suffcient demand, they will also bring several other configurations.

All the cdi information is on the MB website in germany(in english).

The 2.7 liter engine in the E-class is a little slow. But, I'll test drive one in July when they get here=) =)

Michael

WOOCHOW

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
Sorry, according to "The Star" no MB diesels for a couple of years until the fuel is cleaned up. The first model you will see here is likely an E320CDI.

DSLPWR

Veteran Member
Autoweek cited an MB official as saying the new E Class is coming to America in diesel form. The magazine for the Mercedes Benz Club of America ("The Star") says it's not coming due to fuel issues.

You can decide from there. We're still figuring it out.

DSLPWR

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Some history here:

Automotive news first reported this. Erroneously.

Autoweek ran it because it is also part of Crain Communications, the parent company of Automotive News.

The report was wrong; I believe they even retracted it.

I spoke with Fred Heiler at the New York Auto Show. He is a professional colleague and head of PR for MBUSA. He confirmed that a diesel Benz will not be here for 2003. If it were, they would be promoting it, don't ya think?

Sorry but we will have to wait. (Again.)

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
FL70CAT,
Equating mpg to emissions doesn't always work. A typical scooter getting 80 to 100 mpg should be much cleaner than even a TDi getting 45 mpg! Not! The typical motorcycle, and the smaller the engine is the dirtier it usually is, is up to 15 times more polluting than the average car on the road.
That's why emissions for small engine vehicles and off-road equipement are being targeted now for new standards in 2004. Motorcycle emissions haven't been changed since 1984.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by AutoDiesel:
FL70CAT,
Equating mpg to emissions doesn't always work. A typical scooter getting 80 to 100 mpg should be much cleaner than even a TDi getting 45 mpg! Not! The typical motorcycle, and the smaller the engine is the dirtier it usually is, is up to 15 times more polluting than the average car on the road.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're right, but it's changing. Most of the larger (more expensive) new models now have EFI, a good many have catalysts, not many have the full EFI/3-way catalyst/O2 sensor setup yet. The problem is that smaller (i.e. supposed to be cheaper) models don't have enough room in the purchase price to pay for all that.

My '94 ZX9R has very little in the way of exhaust emission control (air suction only). Both of my FZR400's have absolutely nothing. The exhaust smells like it, too.

end of off-topic, back on topic now ...