www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old September 21st, 2008, 14:13   #1
GrampaPete
Veteran Member

Cool 2006 Golf TDI - SALVAGE - what is it worth?

Saw an ad on craiglist for this 2006 Golf TDI, 30K miles. Asking $15K. The owner purchased it wrecked and did all the rebuilding. Has been inspected but not driven much since the rebuild.

Is this a car to consider? What might it be worth?

Thanks,

Peter
GrampaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:25   #2
doonboggle
Veteran Member

Depends on exactly what the damage did, and what the repairs were. Get more precise information and post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampaPete
Saw an ad on craiglist for this 2006 Golf TDI, 30K miles. Asking $15K. The owner purchased it wrecked and did all the rebuilding. Has been inspected but not driven much since the rebuild.

Is this a car to consider? What might it be worth?

Thanks,

Peter
doonboggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 12:41   #3
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

I think that price is high for a salvage title. Especially since TDI prices are falling quickly now... The market just isn't there IMO to charge that much...

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2008, 22:38   #4
Silver04RS

I just bought a 03 with 89K on it for 9 grand in CA.. land of no TDI's
Silver04RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 13:15   #5
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfromovin
I think that price is high for a salvage title. Especially since TDI prices are falling quickly now... The market just isn't there IMO to charge that much...
Rule of thumb is a repaired salvage vehicle in tip top shape is worth 50-60 percent of it's non salvage retail value. If someone does purchase it make sure a detailed inspection is performed.
Old October 1st, 2008, 17:12   #6
RoundHouse
Veteran Member

That is too high, you can buy an undamaged one for that amount.

Depends entirely on what was damaged and how bad, and the skill of the repair.

Ive purchased and repaied wrecked vehicles before, usually if a vehicle is more than 4 yrs old and gets bumped hard enough to blow the airbags, the ins co will totall it and auction it.

Since the ins co has to buy the bags from the stealership at $1700~ each, replacing the blown bags can easily cost more than 50% of the cars value.

Individiual owners can, in most states replace the bags with bags from other wrecked cars that didnt get discharged, for about $250 each.

Check the title carefully and a CarFax, and look at the police accident report, and pictures taken before the repair started.

If the seller doesnt have any pics or any details, skip it at any price.
Most states pics to get it inspected afterward, so the inspector knows what areas to concentrate on, so if the seller claims he doesnt have any, he is lying.

Most states also do not allow individuals to repair salvage title cars, and get a clean title, you must be a liscensed body shop. If so, the title may not be clean & legal to put back on the road.

I Always take pice before the repair, so if/when I sell it the buyer can see that it really wasent that bad of an accident.
RoundHouse is offline   Reply With Quote