www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 28th, 2008, 11:32   #1
mavapa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 golf
Default Pulsing lights

All of the lights on my '01 Golf pulse while the engine is running - headlights, dash lights, dome light if it's on, everything. It's a fairly high frequency, maybe a couple or so pulses per second. It is most noticeable at idle or at low speeds. They do not pulse with the engine off. Could this be the voltage regulator, or what?
mavapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:03   #2
puter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg

I would suspect the battery.

The battery would be used to smooth out the current, if it can't maintain a very good charge then you would see pulses from the alternator.

I'm a CE person tho, not a mechanic, so it's just a guess.
puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:45   #3
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

My buddy that rebuilds alternators says it's probably the voltage regulator. Not sure on these if it's internal to the alternator or inside the ECU (many new cars are now this way).
Old August 28th, 2008, 15:47   #4
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Lightbulb pulsing lights

Take car to autozone or advanced auto parts. They will check charging system to include alternator, voltage regulator & battery for free. This will save you $$$ just replacing parts blindly. I once replace voltage regulator to find out the alternator was bad. Lost $$ on voltage regulator because they won't accept electrical items back!
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 20:43   #5
VinW

Default Pulsing lights

I've got something similar but it only happens when the car is cold and the gears (auto tranny) switch. The interior/exterior lights all dim and return to normal all the same time as the gears switch?? As soon as the car is warmed up problem gone?? Anyone got some answers on this one? Is it the same thing just not as far gone?

...Thanks in Advance
VinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:01   #6
cardinarky
Veteran Member

TDI(s): NB 99 White
Fuel Economy: 52-42-37

VinW:

I have had the same problem on my 99 Beetle forever. It goes away as soon as the car gets up to running temperature. Car has 105K and has many electrical quirks.

cardinarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 09:46   #7
mavapa
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 golf

I had been leaning towards the voltage regulator. 2004SWTDI, I think your suggestion is a good idea.
mavapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 13:56   #8
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

I'd wait for it to get worse. Some alts just cause more flicker then others, IME.
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 16:01   #9
mk3
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46 lifetime

I wouldn't wait. You have a lot of expensive electronics in this vehicle that could be harmed by the rapid fluctuation of voltage and current. Could it be the clutch pulley on the alternator is slipping a little bit? I think the alternator should be thoroughly checked out.
mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 14:51   #10
kbrenny
Veteran Member

I looked into replacing the voltage regulator on mine when it started going south but it cost around $90 with a 90 day warranty and the entire alternator (rebuilt) with a lifetime warranty was $130. For the $40 difference I think I am just going to go ahead and do the entire alternator.
kbrenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 17:27   #11
d2305
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Jetta

You can replace the voltage regulator without taking the alternator off (which is a PITA).
d2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:48   #12
Gearhead51
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

I just got my Jetta running. I have a similar issue. I would say that I get about 1.5 to 2 pulses a second. I've checked the voltages, and they fluctuate to 12.5 (off pulse) to 14.1 (on pulse). You can see the tach drop 100 RPM when the alternator loads, then it goes back up when the alt. unloads. I think I'm going to replace the voltage regulator and see what happens.

I know that you can replace the regulator without pulling the alt, but how on earth does the alt. come out? I got my car with a bad engine, and as I was doing the swap, I tried to pull the alt. in frame, and couldn't figure out how it comes out, so I left it in and swapped it on the stand before putting the new engine in.
Gearhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:52   #13
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Can't say I've tried it, but here's a how to from the TDI101 'how to'
section:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=932019
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:30   #14
VinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinW
I've got something similar but it only happens when the car is cold and the gears (auto tranny) switch. The interior/exterior lights all dim and return to normal all the same time as the gears switch?? As soon as the car is warmed up problem gone?? Anyone got some answers on this one? Is it the same thing just not as far gone?

...Thanks in Advance

I forgot to mention a "click" noise from what seems to be under the dash around my right knee at the same time that the light dims and the gears shift?
VinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:23   #15
mattyc5094

Fuel Economy: 46.8 99.5 TDI 5 speed conversion
Exclamation

i get the same pulse with click on my 99 golf, thought it was auto trans but did a 5speed conversion and still does it when rpms drop down at shifts. this proves its not only on auto trans cars. definately a relay on the fuse block. could this be the glow plug relay giving glow plugs a little heat when rpms drop??? can someone help us out
mattyc5094 is offline   Reply With Quote