www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:24   #61
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.6 high

rocketeer - Upgrade those nozzles! Then you can sell the used PP520's to me. :-) I'm sure they wouldn't know the difference since I have a Platinum Gray '03 too.!

2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 227k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
n8ronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 16:11   #62
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Don't swap the pump, just the nozzles. PP764s or 502s would give it a nice bump, when you're ready for a clutch.
Old July 1st, 2009, 16:20   #63
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon
Don't swap the pump, just the nozzles. PP764s or 502s would give it a nice bump, when you're ready for a clutch.
I was wondering which nozzles would be the next step, so I'm glad you posted them for me. For future reference, would the PP764 or PP502 nozzles and a Stage 3 clutch support the RC5 RocketChip?

Took my car out for a couple of Italian tune-ups this evening on a fairly safe (from cops), long on-ramp where I live. Not sure, but I thought I might have felt my Valeo clutch slip a little. I'm really curious what torque I'm getting with my current set-up, and horsepower too. I don't want to wish the summer away, but NE Dyno Day can't get here soon enough.

Last edited by rocketeer928; July 1st, 2009 at 16:22.
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 16:37   #64
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

I think I'd go for 764s in the current environment. What I mean by that is the 502s seemed to have, in the past, flowed more fuel than the 764s. Now that doesn't seem to be the case. As always I'd ask Jeff but my .02 is that the 764s are the way to go with a 10mm pump and your setup. I think it would kick some butt.
Old July 1st, 2009, 16:38   #65
Greaseburger
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best of 53.8

Don't forget to post sheets when you do

Greaseburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:39   #66
Rollingcircle

TDI(s): Jetta GLS

Hey Rocketeer928,
Where did you get the braided oil line from? I need a new one.
Thanks
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer928
Removed the oil line connection union from the top of the 17/22 turbo to replace it with the braided oil line connection union.

The original union has a copper washer, while the union for the braided line has an O-ring and aluminum washer.

A little dab of grease was used to keep the aluminum washer onto the connection union as I installed it on top of the 17/22 turbo with a 14-mm socket to 40 Nm (30 ft‑lb).

The original OEM turbo oil supply line banjo bolt was replaced with the braided oil line connection union, including a washer and O-ring. The transmission was in the way to use my torque wrench, so I tightened with a 17-mm socket with a 3/8‑inch ratchet until as tight as possible.

Reinstalled the rear clamp mounting bracket for the braided turbo oil supply line with 13-mm socket to 25 Nm (18 ft-lb). Placed the upper clamp on the oil line. Fed the braided oil line to the top of the 17/22 turbo and hand threaded, which was difficult. Fed the braided oil line to the lower oil connection union and hand threaded. Removed the vacuum reservoir with an 8-mm wrench. Tightened the upper and lower unions with a 15-mm wrench. Reinstalled the upper and lower securing clamps on the braided oil line with a 10-mm socket to 10 Nm (7 ft-lb), and reinstalled the vacuum reservoir.

Rollingcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 18:08   #67
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Re-plumbing of the Upper Intercooler Pipe

Here’s the way I originally plumbed the upper intercooler pipe.

Unfortunately, the upper intercooler pipe sits too low and rubs against the top of the serpentine belt tensioner. The top of the tensioner started to get worn, even with a rubber cap placed upon it.

Peter at TDI Parts sent to me a straight reducer hose to re-plumb the intercooler pipe.

Using the 3-inch metal tube that came with the upper intercooler pipe, I placed the straight reducer pipe on top of the 45-degree hose coming from the EuroJet intercooler. The 45-degree hose was positioned further toward the back of the engine bay.

This allowed the upper intercooler pipe to be placed on the straight reducer hose, which allowed it to be above the tensioner without touching and moved back.

With a little stretching, the elbow hose was clamped between the upper intercooler pipe and the DG race pipe.

The clamp groove on the DG race pipe is less than ¾-inch, so the t-bolt clamp would not fit well. Therefore, I ground both sides of the t-bolt clamp, so that it would fit. I think the t-bolt clamps look better than the common screw clamps.

Hopefully, all the clamps will hold.

Old July 31st, 2009, 07:11   #68
n8ronJ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56.6 high

I like reading and seeing the saga unfold on your thread.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI, 227k, Platinum Grey, 5 Speed, SBC Stage2 Daily, Evo Atlas Skidplate, RC3
n8ronJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 22:27   #69
tothemax
Veteran Member

Quote:

I’m still finding that the exhaust tip touches a metal piece hanging from the rear bumper, which can be seen in the above picture. However, it’s still much better than when I initially did the installation.

SWEET RIDE!!! rocketeer

I love your thread and your car... reading this is like going down memory lane for me as... not only do we have the same car but you also seem to be doing many of the same mods I did or plan to be doing ... so...

Here's a bit of comparing notes....

I also got the lower IC piping and also the PD150 TIP from Peter but I cannot find the time to install it... I think I will at the upcoming Portland GTG in August.. Was it pretty easy to install? I am only doing the lower IC.. I am not doing the upper for now.

At least I installed my new Euro rubs last week..

I am considering the same taillights as you as well as the smoked Hella... I am concerned about the smoked thought, because someone told me that if I get rear ended w/ smoked taillights I can be found at fault because they are not street legal. The taillighs and smoked side marker lights are my next mods for sure.

I looked at your tip situation and I came across the same question when I did my straight exhaust... I want to offer you a tip... no pun intended

Take a look at the

Hedman 17205 Hot Tips Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip

I installed this tip and it looks very OEM kind like the VR6

I did not spring for the valence, but just dremeled out the TDI valence.. It should look even better on your valence.

Here's where I bought the tip

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO7JFS/...0&linkCode=asn

A number of us here installed this tip and it looks great..

Here's mine:

Last edited by tothemax; August 17th, 2009 at 23:26.
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:36   #70
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Nice ride. I recognize you from the robo-TDI-whatever-it-is in your signature line.

Installing the lower IC pipe wasn't too bad, though I little challenging in getting the hoses to sit right, especially on the 17/22 turbo side. I ended up doing the installation twice. First, onto the stock IC and then onto the EuroJet SMIC. I had to shell out some unexpected $$$ to buy 2.5-inch radiator hose to get the lower IC pipe to mate up with the EuroJet, but in the end it worked out fine.

Thanks for the tip on the exhaust tip. I may consider this as a future mod. A couple of questions. Did you or someone else weld that tip onto your tailpipe? Since it's not bent downward, but rather goes out straight, do you get a lot of soot build-up on the back of your Jetta? I wouldn't want that.

Old August 1st, 2009, 09:31   #71
tothemax
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice ride. I recognize you from the robo-TDI-whatever-it-is in your signature line.

Installing the lower IC pipe wasn't too bad, though I little challenging in getting the hoses to sit right, especially on the 17/22 turbo side. I ended up doing the installation twice. First, onto the stock IC and then onto the EuroJet SMIC. I had to shell out some unexpected $$$ to buy 2.5-inch radiator hose to get the lower IC pipe to mate up with the EuroJet, but in the end it worked out fine.

Thanks for the tip on the exhaust tip. I may consider this as a future mod. A couple of questions. Did you or someone else weld that tip onto your tailpipe? Since it's not bent downward, but rather goes out straight, do you get a lot of soot build-up on the back of your Jetta? I wouldn't want that.
Tnx for the info on the IC piping.

I got the guy a the muffler shop to weld it.

Unfortunately it does blow soot on the rear.... but it does not show too much w/ the gray color, I guess it's the compromise I have to make to have this kind of tip.

P

Last edited by tothemax; August 1st, 2009 at 18:04.
Old August 1st, 2009, 19:44   #72
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax
Unfortunately it does blow soot on the rear....
Then I will not be getting this tip. I'm happy with what I have.

Old August 1st, 2009, 23:33   #73
tothemax
Veteran Member

With all you mods, you might think about RC5.

Also, does the sound insulation on top of the skid plate cut a lot of the cabin noise out? mine is nosier than $hit.

P

Quote:
Then I will not be getting this tip. I'm happy with what I have.

Last edited by tothemax; August 17th, 2009 at 23:27.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:35   #74
Greaseburger
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best of 53.8

rocketeer928 Where did you get your headlights? I want something different for mine and can't decide

Greaseburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:47   #75
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax
With all you mods, you might think about RC5. Also, does the sound insulation on top of the skid plate cut a lot of the cabin noise out? mine is nosier than ...
If I decide to go with the 11-mm IP and PP764s then I'll consider the RC5. Yes, the second skin sound barrier does seem to help with cabin noise. I also put some underneath the felt of the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greaseburger
rocketeer928 Where did you get your headlights? I want something different for mine and can't decide
Actually, I got them off eBay last year from someone in Asia. They are Depo. I don't use the angel eye functionality; removed those bulbs. I like the "not typical" Jetta look they give my car.