www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old December 5th, 2002, 11:48   #1
ProTDI

Default Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

Does anyone know the history of this engine? Is it designed and built by Mercedes?

Thanks for any info.
ProTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 13:07   #2
PackRat
Veteran Member

Default Re: Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

Quote:
Originally posted by Smithers:
The article I read says that the engine is made by Detroit Diesel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Detroit Diesel is part of Daimler-Chrysler.
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 13:15   #3
Rob_from_Elkmont
Veteran Member

Default Re: Jeep Liberty 2.8L Turbo Diesel, is this a good engine, with a proven track record?

I heard that it would be a VM, which is owned by Detroit Diesel, which in turn is owned by DCX. One thing is for sure: it will not be a Mercedes engine.

Rob
Rob_from_Elkmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 16:50   #4
NB TDI
Veteran Member

I wonder what kind of of MPG that jeep is going to get with that Turbo diesel engine in it?
NB TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 18:08   #5
Dorado
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/45/41

DChrysler sells the PT-Cruiser in Europe with a great common rail MBenz turbo diesel. But who knows when we will get to see such a thing over here? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 18:11   #6
BawlsyTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.5/49/42

My mistake, sorry.
BawlsyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 19:18   #7
Rob_from_Elkmont
Veteran Member

Here is a review of the PT Cruiser that talks about it's Mercedes sourced Diesel:

http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/sheikh...rPTCruiser.htm

As far as the Liberty goes, Dr. Dieter Zetsche (CEO DCA) has stated that diesels will yield up to a 30% increase in fuel economy. The best fuel economy out of the Liberty with a gas engine is 24 mpg on the highway. So, it looks like DCX expects about 30 mpg out of the Diesel. Personally, it would take at least 35 mpg in a Liberty before I would think of buying one. Oh well, it is a start. Nice to see some more passenger vehicle diesels coming to the US market.

Regards,

Rob
Rob_from_Elkmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 19:25   #8
Sootblower
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/53

Quote:
As far as I know it's a Merc engine. So it should be good. The problem is that the liberty is still a chrysler. Watch out for tranny problems. The engine should last forever, providing maintenance is kept up, and it is taken care of. My only gripe is that the 2.8L isn't in the C-class, but in the POS liberty.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't comment on the Liberty but Jeeps in general are good vehicles. We have a '95 Cherokee with inline 6.
With 100K miles we replaced:

Rotors $90.00
Crank position sensor $200.00
Radiator & Water pump $200.00
Oil sending unit $20.00
Total for 100K miles: $510.00

I hope that my TDI can do as well as this.
Sootblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 22:58   #9
ProTDI

Very disappointing. I thought the purpose of this exercise was to ENCOURGE the ACCEPTANCE of diesel-powered vehicles in North America. So why not give us a Mercedes engine???? Iím willing to take a chance on a Chrysler, but not without a Mercedes engine. I believe the European Grand Cherokee gets a Mercedes, but itís the North Americans, that need the convincing. Perhaps DaimlerChrysler will reconsider before 2004.
Old December 6th, 2002, 00:40   #10
BawlsyTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54.5/49/42

As far as I know it's a Merc engine. So it should be good. The problem is that the liberty is still a chrysler. Watch out for tranny problems. The engine should last forever, providing maintenance is kept up, and it is taken care of. My only gripe is that the 2.8L isn't in the C-class, but in the POS liberty. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
BawlsyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 00:51   #11
Smithers
Veteran Member

The article I read says that the engine is made by Detroit Diesel.
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 00:54   #12
Roadrunner6

In Europe, the Liberty (called "Cherokee" here) can have two diesel motorisations : a 2,5 CRD and 2,8 l CRD. The former "Grand Cherokee" had a 3,1 l CRD, which has been replaced by a 2.7 l CDI (Mercedes). The were a lot of problems with the old engine. The denomination "CRD" refers to VM engines (:-(( And Mercedes doesn't have any 2,5 or 2,8 diesel engine, so, the two new engines are most probably made by VM. Maybe not the best choice !
Roadrunner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 01:04   #13
PackRat
Veteran Member

Remember, Mercedes does sometimes build a dud diesel, remember the 3.5 Inline 6?

All I'm saying is, don't damn the horse until you've taken a ride.
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2002, 04:00   #14
ProTDI

Mercedes has indeed built a dud or two, but if your counting duds, ChryslerÖah...well, what can I say about Chrysler that hasnít already been said; some of us have been stung before. And given Roadrunner6ís comments about the CRD engines, Iím not at all encouraged.

Chrysler, if youíre listening, why not use the 2.7 CDI in the Liberty? This is a golden opportunity to change the perceptions that North Americans have of diesels and Chryslers.
Old December 6th, 2002, 06:53   #15
southtdi
Veteran Member

Your not buying a Chrysler diesel. You are buying a Detroit Diesel engine. Yes, they are owned buy DC but they have been in business for a very long time. They have a good reputation for building diesel engines. If it was stated that this is a new engine designed by Chrysler corp then I might have a different view.

My only beef with it is the article I read about it comming stated 18 city and 29 hwy. I felt that these numbers are a little low and that it should get a little better mileage than that, especially in the city.
southtdi is offline   Reply With Quote