www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:29   #1
wesk1954
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta TDI
Default Gas Station Diesel Pump Nozzle Size

I have now found a new issue since I took delivery Saturday on my new TDI. (Hooray)

When I went to a shell station today for the first fill up (cause you KNOW I had to take a little road trip yesterday, and averaged 47 MPG... and this on a brand new engine, so it will only get better)... I found that the pump nozzle was simply TOO LARGE to fit into the car. I tried to nurse the fuel in, and then proceeded to make a mess. So after a couple of gallons and getting REALLY pissed off at myself, I went to a different station (Sheetz) and they had "Auto diesel" pumps with the standard size dispenser nozzle. And yes, before you ask, both stations pumps were labeled ULSD, although I have found one gas chain (Speedway / Super America) that are still selling LSD, and won't be upgrading to ULSD until the refinery is upgraded.

Since I'll be traveling extensively with my job, and buying diesel at various locations throughout 3 states, I'm wondering if you find a similar experience, especially thinking of truck stops, and do you always have to look for "auto diesel" signage before you can KNOW that the nozzel is going to fit into your tank?

And lastly, heaven forbid you're really in a jam and no other sources seem available, has anyone seen an adapter / device that will allow you to use the huge nozzles when fueling up your Jetta?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Wes
wesk1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:33   #2
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

I have the same issue on the MB, I have to have the auto sized nozzle and the filler will not take the larger high flow truck pumps.

DB
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:38   #3
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

Even worse - I have the small filler on one of my super-duties! Both VWs have the large opening, but the 38 gallon beast only takes the little one...

One of these days I'll punch it out.
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:50   #4
lkchris
Veteran Member

The first station you visited probably had another pump with the smaller nozzle. Perhaps even on the opposite size of the unit you used. You just pulled up to the truck pump.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:01   #5
vw4life
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 7.4 L/100km 75% city (~32 MPG US)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesk1954
I have now found a new issue since I took delivery Saturday on my new TDI. (Hooray)
<<snip>>
And lastly, heaven forbid you're really in a jam and no other sources seem available, has anyone seen an adapter / device that will allow you to use the huge nozzles when fueling up your Jetta?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Wes
Its called a funnel. I'm sure in a pinch you could use something like this
\\\ David /// 2005 B5.5V TDI Stonehenge Grey - Manual Headlamp Leveling - Aspherical Mirrors - Ventectomy trouble? - Fuel Economy - Euro trailer hitch: towing, install, safety chains, towing, wiring, euro bike rack! +Factory de-tooef's, Airlift
vw4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:02   #6
Fencemaker
Veteran Member

There is a thread on this site in the A5 Forum with instructions on building your own adaptor out of commonly available copper piping parts. Here is a link:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=113333&page=5

By the way, your 09 is not unique in this problem. All the A5 Jettas are fitted with a similar restrictor device that won't allow you to pump from the large/high-flow nozzle sizes. There is even a brochure (or should be) included with your owners manual that explains this issue.

In my experience, diesel pumps in the USA come in three sizes:

There is the smallest size, which is exactly the same size as a gasoline pump nozzle and fits very well into the A5 filler recepticle. Most of the local BP's in my area of SW Pa have this size nozzle, and most diesel nozzles that are attached to a bank of gasoline pumps have this smallest size nozzle.

Next, there is an intermediate size, which is slightly bigger than a gasoline pump nozzle size. This intermediate size fits into the A5 filler recepticle, but not nearly as well as the small size nozzle. You can pump without splashback using the intermediate size, but I suggest you only set the pump on the slowest flow click tab if you want to set it up to auto-fill. The intermediate size flows a bit faster than the smallest size nozzle, so when you top-off after letting the foam settle, keep this in mind.

Finally, there is the large/high-flow nozzle, which doesn't fit at all into the A5 filler recepticle. I've found this size nozzle repeatedly at local Sunoco stations and it is so frequently found at these stations that I don't even stop at Sunoco stations anymore (except for last weekend on the PA Turnpike, where the Rest Area Sunoco had some diesel pumps in the gas pump area that used the small nozzle).

Anyway, if you really want to construct an adaptor, follow the above link. And, if you want to read about the nozzle size issue ad nausem, go to the A5 Forum.

Last edited by Fencemaker; August 18th, 2008 at 11:05.
Fencemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:06   #7
Windjammer
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4 & Mk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
The first station you visited probably had another pump with the smaller nozzle. Perhaps even on the opposite size of the unit you used. You just pulled up to the truck pump.
Probably not.

wesk1954, It's not a big deal when your traveling. Yes you need the auto nozzle, but you'll get about 600 miles per tank. Just don't wait until the last minute in an unknown area to get fuel.
06 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite w/Gray Pack 2 DSG W/NAV & Ipod dock

Last edited by Windjammer; August 18th, 2008 at 11:08.
Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 11:07   #8
wesk1954
Veteran Member

Default Gas Station Diesel Pump Nozzle Size

I haven't owned a diesel since an 87 MB in the late 80's, and I had forgot about this issue which I also had with the Benz, although it seemed a little more forgiving than the Jetta is proving to be.

By the way, the link you provided for the nozzle adapter doesn't seem to work for me - but no big deal. I'll find it.

And to those that said I needed to go across the lane to a different pump... actually, I checked ALL the diesel pumps they had at this particular station, and they were all too large.

Thanks to all,

Wes
Old August 18th, 2008, 13:05   #9
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
(snip) I checked ALL the diesel pumps they had at this particular station, and they were all too large.
__. Wes, my '03 will accept the biggest nozzle so that's not a big deal for me but I have *very* rarely found a station that doesn't have at least one "auto-diesel" nozzle. In fact, at a truckstop "travel center", there's usually a pump in front with the gas pumps that has an "auto-diesel" nozzle and at least one of the truck pumps in the back is also "auto-diesel".

__. Truck stops like to separate big trucks from other vehicles and this is one way to do it. But, like I said, I've very rarely seen a diesel-fuel location that didn't have at least one pump with the auto-diesel nozzle. (That's not to say that they're easy to find sometimes and they're often tucked right up next to gas pumps so that a gasser filling will block them from sight or keep you from getting to them, but that's another thing.)

__. Unless the filler on your car is *really* different from anything else out there, you shouldn't find it a problem as you travel.
Old August 18th, 2008, 19:10   #10
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (501k miles)

Quote:
Since I'll be traveling extensively with my job, and buying diesel at various locations throughout 3 states, I'm wondering if you find a similar experience, especially thinking of truck stops, and do you always have to look for "auto diesel" signage before you can KNOW that the nozzel is going to fit into your tank?
It's been years since I pulled into a station which had only the large nozzles and high-speed flow. Most truck stops have diesel pumps for light trucks and cars.
'03 Golf with 501k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:18   #11
wesk1954
Veteran Member

Hey, I'm just the lucky guy I guess. Not only did I find a Shell station that only had two diesel nozzle's and both of those too large, but I'm also the lucky guy that found that our local Speedway stations are still selling LSD instead of ULSD.....

Some guys have all the luck!!! LOL

Wes
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:43   #12
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
I'm also the lucky guy that found that our local Speedway stations are still selling LSD instead of ULSD.....
__. ULSD should burn cleaner than LSD but LSD has more "intrinsic" lubrication properties (although all the major oil companies add an additive to raise the lubrication of ULSD) and LSD gives better fuel economy. So some of us with older cars *look* for LSD instead of ULSD. It can't be used in an '09, though.
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:51   #13
BadMonKey
Veteran Member

Even though my golf has the larger opening I have a problem with the larger nozzle pumps flow rates being to fast. Even on the slowest setting I still have to stop it every few seconds to prevent it from puking diesel down the side of the car. Overall I avoid them whenever possible as they are a pain in the a%%.
BadMonKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:41   #14
Fencemaker
Veteran Member

Wes,

Sorry about the adaptor link, it didn't work right at first. I edited the post and it should work okay.

Also, I have to respectfully disagree with the many folks who believe that most stations with the large size diesel nozzles almost always have another pump with the small size nozzle available. That may be true at large truck stops found along major interstates, but in my neck of the woods it is not true. I can think of at least a half-dozen local stations that have only large size nozzles and no auto-size nozzles for diesel.
Fencemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 15:47   #15
wesk1954
Veteran Member

You are SO right, and I have found the same problem at some local stations. In fact I'd PREFER to buy gas at Shell as I've heard good things about their diesel, however, it is virtually impossible to fuel my car at their station.