Rear suspension stoneguard

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
More "undergarments" for the Passat. :D

On front wheel drive Passats, rear axle is attached with brackets to the underside of the body. There are stoneguards to protect these as part of the "rough road package".

Stoneguard part number is 4B0-501-559-A. Order one for each side.

Stoneguard inner

Stoneguard outside

It requires one bolt to secure to the bracket. Order one for each side.

bolt

Bolt part number N-104-492-02 may be used instead.

Here's the bracket to be protected.

There's a plastic trim piece that needs to be loosened from the underside of the car. Use a 10mm deep socket to remove the nut holding the trim near the bracket. You might also remove, or loosen the nut for the trim that is at the forward edge, to allow for more flex. The trim can be pulled down to allow the stoneguard to be installed. See the picture above.

The hard part of this is that you have to drill and tap (M6X1.0) hole into the bracket at the flat area on the bracket. This is not hardened metal so it is an easy task.

Slip the stoneguard in place, install the bolt, and reinstall the trim nuts and you're done.

Stoneguard installed

Is this necesary? My trim piece is cracked on both sides right near the bracket. Possibly from improper lifting, but it could be from something striking it.

Or I just put them on because I found them in the parts listing. ;) :D