www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2008

TDIFest 2008 Discussion about TDIFest 2008 that was held in Mason, OH on the Labour Day weekend (August 29th - August 31st, 2008) .

Old June 4th, 2008, 08:21   #1
bestmapman

TDI(s): 06 Jetta TDI
Default Fuel economy run

Jason (compu 85) told me to post this to see if there was any interest in a fuel economy run at TDIfest 2008. If we get enough interest, I sure we can do something. I will volunteer to help in setting it up. Basically, it will be a friendly competition to see who can get the best fuel economy out of their TDI.
bestmapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:19   #2
CoJoNEs
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47

myself and RichC will be setting up the road course, if you want to get together on it let us know. I am not familiar with how to setup a fuel economy run, but am willing to work on it.
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:37   #3
Hamsterdiesel
Veteran Member & HO5G CoFounder

Fuel Economy: 49/47.5 - 51 mpg once!

In the past, the 'Fuel Economy Run' was actually the drive to the Fest. It was run on the honor system and people reported their numbers to Fred upon arriving at the hotel.

Wouldn't you need to run these cars ~100 miles or so just to see any negligible differences?

1965 Plymouth Barracuda - 225cid of Fishey fun...
Hamsterdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:50   #4
BRUSSELS BELGIAN
Old Whig

Fuel Economy: 70.6/ 51/ 38
Smile It's Mine!

Regardless of whether we do it driving to the Fest, or have a special run, or BOTH, the organizers can save themselves some time now by just putting MY NAME on the trophy!
2005 Passat PD TDI
BRUSSELS BELGIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:59   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

This is a good point... the 30 min drive back from the rally won't really give us enough consumption to get accurate numbers. And seeing as the rally will force you to drive in a specific manor, I don't think that's fair to include in the MPG figures.

Hey, for the award, instead of who gets the max MPG, could we go for who gets the highest % over the original EPA figures for their model?

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 13:09   #6
CoJoNEs
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47

since the EPA testing has changed on newer models, anyone with a new TDI will win for sure
Depending on the availibility and accuracy of the bioD at the fest the original thought was to fill up before the rally then immediately after and just compare the amount used (easier to compare $ then g actually
Old June 4th, 2008, 17:24   #7
TDI Owner/Operator

To do it right it should be done like at the 2002 TDI Fest in Grand Rapids - everyone fills up right before start of fuel mileage rally and leaves from a specific start/end point with departure/arrival times noted along with odometer readings. Follow specific directions for route to be taken - use landmarks and avoid use of colors since a few people may be color blind. At the finish each car fills up again (Fest 2002 used a biodiesel tanker onsite for this purpose) with total mileage noted and all data entered in a spreadsheet to crunch the numbers/find the winner. It goes without saying each entry should be filled up the same at both start and finish for consistency.

B4V's should not be allowed to fill up at start, go for a couple of hard turns then return for a topping off followed by a "standard" fillup at the finish. I specifically mention this as there was some controversy over how the winner achieved his numbers since there was a loophole that was taken advantage of. (To be fair about it there was no rule about using loopholes either to gain an advantage.)

IIRC it was about a 100 mile run incorporating state highways, interstates, some local roads so it was a good mix of driving conditions/speeds.

It's not a fair comparison to do this as a "drive to the Fest" competition IMO since those coming from the east will have some mountains to cross while someone from the midwest is more likely to have flat terrian to traverse (which gives them an advantage) for example.

If you need to know more about how the 2002 Fest MPG rally was run maybe check with GeWilli as he helped organize it. I recall we had about 30 cars participating - was an impressive sight at the start/finish line!
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 19:42   #8
bestmapman

TDI(s): 06 Jetta TDI

I am local in Cincinnati, so I can help with the set up. My feeling is to have about a 100 mile course. This will take about 2 hours if it includes city and highway driving. We could use a scanguage or other device to get the figures. That would eliminate the fill up problems. Or the other option is to weight the vehicles at a scale and that could give a very accurate reading.
bestmapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 21:51   #9
vikingrob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 69.63/47/36

Now the question is this: which route to take to the Fest. I have several options that come into play around Rockford: one option would be to take the Kennedy and Dan Ryan through Chicago, come out on the Bishop Ford, take 80-94 over to 65, and hook up to 74 at Indy; take the Kennedy, Dan Ryan, and the Skyway, and use 912 to hook up with 80-94; take 290 and 294 around the city; take 290, 355, and 80 around the city; or take 39 to Bloomington and 74 the rest of the way. Decisions, decisions....
Old June 5th, 2008, 13:40   #10
paramedick

Rob, when I came home from the Wisconsin fest, I opted to go Rockford to Indy. Nice peaceful drive, only one toll booth, no insane traffic.

Looking at mapquest, I39 to I74. Longer, but worth it.

Last edited by paramedick; June 5th, 2008 at 13:43.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 13:53   #11
Rickstah
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

Has anyone ever hooked up a quart or gallon of diesel through the IP like we do when we use the injector cleaning procedure and driven a known distance until it dies? Admittedly this would mean you'd have to go through the restart process, but still...and I guess you'd have to make sure the cars were all about equal in weight, amount of fuel on board, etc...ok, probably too much work, I'll shut up. We did this back when I was in hs, but probably no one wants to run the ip dry
Old June 5th, 2008, 17:37   #12
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85
Hey, for the award, instead of who gets the max MPG, could we go for who gets the highest % over the original EPA figures for their model? -Jason
Oooh, I like that. The original EPA for my model is mid 20's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWht
B4V's should not be allowed ....
Oooh, I don't like that, though.
The top mpg competitor in the 2002 event withdrew from eligibility to allow another to have the honor.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)

Last edited by Lug_Nut; June 5th, 2008 at 17:45.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 17:02   #13
TDI Owner/Operator

LugNut: You're misquoting me - I never said B4V's should not be allowed in a mileage rally - rather that they should not utilize a certain trick in filling up the tank at the event start. I apologize if I am not remembering the details correctly on the '02 Fest MPG rally as it was almost six years ago.
251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 17:00   #14
Zippy_car
Trouble Maker

Fuel Economy: 42, 27.6, 23 - Subaru #'s

We could always ask for physical evidence or "proof" of mpg's/percentage on the way to fest.

Get a recipt at the first fill up with a note of how many gallons put in and odometer reading at fillup (photo or written). Day, date, and time stamped (most reciepts already have most of this information). Then upon arrival, or next fill up - which ever comes first, make another odometer reading to document and then do the math. If you do more than one tank to get there (that's a lot of driving and you're probably going for the "farthest distance driven to the Fest" award also!) then take the best of the two milage readings. Winner get's the trophy. That's how I thought about doing it last year, but didn't get the opportunity. take from it what you will.

No documentation, no entry.

Former mk4 jetta owner, turned Subaru mountain climber.
Zippy_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:30   #15
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

Sounds good to me. Beyond the honor system we can't have much control over this. But if you cheat we WILL find out, and that would make you a very bad person (tm)!

-J
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote