www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 12th, 2008, 17:50   #1
jski

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta
Default Rear clunking after changing shocks

I recently changed springs, shocks and struts to Bilstein TC sports on my 2000 Jetta. I now get a clunking sound in the rear passenger side when hitting small bumps (especially when they are consecutive). I've re-tightened the lower bolt on the bottom of the shock, but the sound remains. I can't get the car to make the noise when jumping on the trailer hitch or by any other means. The car handles nicely and seems to deal with bumps normally. The noise is just annoying. Any ideas out there? Thanks for the help.
jski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 19:24   #2
Cas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009jetta

did the rears come with new upper mounts? when I replaced mine with oem boge, they came with the shocks
Cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 19:54   #3
jobob307
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/53

+ 1 Replace upper shock mounts.

O1 jetta vnt 17/22, pp764's,11mm pump,egr delete, geek race pipe, geek, All custom charge piping, VR6 air box and MAF, 3 bar map, cat delete, RC 6 + special sauce, limited slip diff. 658 fifth gear. geek skid plate, 5 light mod, FK euro lights, that dome light thing,

jobob307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 20:27   #4
abranz
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 NB

My NB does the same when hitting bumps. I replaced the shock mounts which did not help. I've taken the shock off twice to check the top nut and bottom bolts for tightness and they are fine. I cannot figure it out but it is annoying.
Tony
Old May 12th, 2008, 21:45   #5
Herm TDI

I too vote on the sub-frame bushings.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:15   #6
robhegedus
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Bushings are the only thing that I can narrow my clunk down to. Sounds exactly like your symptoms...but they look like a tough job to tackle. Anyone know how much work is involved?
2002 Golf 5spd: Malone Tuning Stage 3 tune, PP764's, G60/VR6 clutch, CCV mod, Cat/Muffler/Ventectomy, Mcnally Boost/EGT combo gauge, E55 Bi-Xenon Retrofit, Koni STR.T struts, Koni Red shocks, Audi TT LCA bushings
Courtesy of robnitro: "He can make 400 ft lbs easy but at 2 rpm, using the starter"
robhegedus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:51   #7
jski

There were upper mounts with the set from Peter from TDI parts. There was no clunking before making the change, however. I can't figure out why there would be no clunk on bigger bumps. I did replace the rear bushings last year and it was a big job. It was still under warantee thankfully, but it took almost 6 hours for the shop to do it. I ride over a lot of country roads that now drive me crazy with this frequent clunking.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:17   #8
sdk131
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime ~42mpg, 50% stop and go, 50% highway at 75-80mph

Hmmmmm... Do you have an aftermarket rear sway bar? Mine occasionaly makes thunks over varying bumps in the road. At a minimum I need to lube the bushings, but they may be due for replacement. Have you verified all bolts were properly torqued (including the single top bolt on the shock that secures it to the upper rear mount)? Is it possible one of the shocks was blown from the start, and is not really dampening anything? Is there anyway you could get someone to ride in the back seat while you drive down the road to listen for the source of the sound. This might at least get you closer, since you can't replicate sitting still in the driveway.

Is there anything in the trunk or spare tire area that could be rattling? I had a metal mag lite in the spare tire well clunking around for weeks before I remembered it was in there...drove me nuts while I kept checking for loose suspension bolts.

Last edited by sdk131; May 13th, 2008 at 11:19.
sdk131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:55   #9
Rickstah
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/41

I had this same problem on my A3, and it was because I didn't have the rubber mounts tightened down properly so they would keep the shaft from jiggling back and forth or up and down. Went back through both and got them tightened down and expanded properly to keep the shaft from moving and the clunk went away.
Old May 13th, 2008, 14:04   #10
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Loose attachments, most like the shock shaft at the upper end. Go back and recheck the fasteners at the shock to mount and mount to car body.
Large individual bumps won't make the noise. Small ones, particularly at high frequency will. New dampers are resistant to motion. If there's 2 mm of looseness and you hit a rapid series of 2mm high bumps the wheel/tire and lower shock tube move, but the shock's piston and rod does too because of the newly restored stiffness. That 2 mm of movement and hitting the end of the loose gap is the thunking you hear. Bigger bumps create more tire noise and mask the single thunk as the play at the shock top is used up. Bouncing the car is too slow a motion especially with gas charged dampers. The gas allows the rod to remain in contact, only rapid bumps faster than the internal oil valving can react will make the thumping.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 14:36   #11
n1das
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Who cares? It's a DIESEL! Great fuel economy comes as a bonus!
Exclamation

Driving across railroad tracks is often a good test, particularly where the pavement has crumbled away right where the tracks cross the road.
n1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 18:14   #12
jski

This may sound naive, but can I tighten all of these suspect bolts by simply removing the wheel and not removing the shock and spring?
Old May 13th, 2008, 18:46   #13
sdk131
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime ~42mpg, 50% stop and go, 50% highway at 75-80mph

in the rear you don't need to touch the spring at all. You can actually even remove the entire rear shock with the wheel on if you are a bit flexible. To get to the top shock nut (top of shock piston, on top of upper rear mount) you'll need to remove the entire rear shock.

Look at the bottom half of this link for some pics:

http://fortuneman.tripod.com/suspension/install.htm

Last edited by sdk131; May 13th, 2008 at 18:48.
sdk131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 18:49   #14
Occams_Razor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jski
I recently changed springs, shocks and struts to Bilstein TC sports on my 2000 Jetta. I now get a clunking sound in the rear passenger side when hitting small bumps (especially when they are consecutive). I've re-tightened the lower bolt on the bottom of the shock, but the sound remains. I can't get the car to make the noise when jumping on the trailer hitch or by any other means. The car handles nicely and seems to deal with bumps normally. The noise is just annoying. Any ideas out there? Thanks for the help.
Did you follow the correct procedure to tighten the upper mounts? (You have to have weight on them and the car has to be on the ground. All explained in the Bentley manual)
Old May 13th, 2008, 18:53   #15
Lefty
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.5 MPG

First time I replaced Shocks and had the same bumping from the rear. I was then told I needed to tighten the shock all the way down(Didn't do that) and thought it was supposed to be just a little way's down on the shaft. Tightened it down as far as I could and all was fine.

2000 GLS Jetta TDI 48.5 MPG 293k and Counting
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote