2004 Jetta TDI vent removal question?

deltatech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I have a 2004 Jetta TDI and I want to remove the vent so I can fill it to the top but I want to be sure I do it right. According to some posts I've seen here I remove the star screw for the fuel fill cover and pull out the cover. I got that far but I'm not sure about what comes next. There is an assembly forward of the filler cap that comes out easy with what looks like a float. There is another assembly aft of the filler that looks like it has a probe that goes into the filler hose near where the fuel nozzle goes in. I can't seem to get this assembly apart, it looks like I should be able to push up on the white plastic portion and pull out to remove the insides. I just couldn't get it out and I don't want to push my luck. I have visions of it being like a swiss watch with springs going everywhere. How do you do the vent removal on this car?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Delta, there is a catch for the "barrel" that you're trying to remove - you have to disengage the catch to release the barrel.

__. I found at a couple of them that I've done, the barrel seemed to stick or something and it took a good bit of fiddling and pressure on the button end inside the filler neck. Others seemed to be ready to fall out just by looking at them. You just gotta get that retainer tang out of the way at the same time you're pushing the barrel out. And there seems to be an element of luck. Just keep trying.

__. Also, on the Jettas I've done (some sedans and some wagons), the components of the system didn't look like the pictures in Fawr's thread. The principle is the same and the photos help, but don't expect the pieces and the amount of clearance to work to be the same on all models (if I had to guess, I'd guess that the photos are of a Golf and the Jetta has kind of a rectangular filler opening versus the round one in the photos.)

__. BTW, when the barrel is out, there is an air leak from the outside into the fuel system. That's why you take the guts out and put the empty barrel back in -- that lets the system "vent" as you fill but results in the system being sealed when you screw the filler cap on.

Last edited:

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Mr.GW

Nice drawing. I now remember it took me a little while to get that tab out of the way so I could remove the barrel.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Fahrfuwerfuelen said:
Mr.GW

Nice drawing. I now remember it took me a little while to get that tab out of the way so I could remove the barrel.
__. Thanks, Fawr - I did that sketch because it seemed impossible to actually photo the actualy working parts. IIRC, the little tang sits on the bottom of the fitting on the Jetta -- in other words, my sketch showing the little screwdriver coming in from the side would be looking straight up (and on the real car it's hard to see that way) and my sketch showing the screwdriver pushing from the rear should be read as the screwdriver pushing straight down. The only problem that I found (and I've only done Jettas) is that you really can't see and it's hard to know if you're pushing on the tang, if the tang is disengaged, and if the tang is disengaged but your tool is in the way. But you'll hit the combination and the barrel will move. Once it begins to move, it will keep the tang disengaged and even if it takes some pressure to finally remove the barrel, once you get the barrel to begin to move, you're home free.

__. It's not really hard, it's just a matter of getting everything lined up right. Of course, the second one you do is *much* easier but once you've done one, that car is OK for life!

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
MrGW

With the price of fuel changing (upwards) on an almost daily basis, I'm glad I did the ventectomy so I can top off the tank when filling up. Takes a little bit of time for the foam to subside, but a heck of a lot easier than trying to hold the button in and pump.:)