Stinky Stinky Stinky

burrfree

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI V-Pack 6 Spd. Manual
Is it just my NB or do the interiors of these cars have a stink. I have the leather in the NB and even though I put in some air freshener it still has a smell to it. Can't describe the odor other than it has a little bit of a diesel exhaust smell and is definitely worse in the back of the car.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
That's not universal. Don't know what it might be, but I don't think I would be too tolerant of exhaust smell in the car.

Corbin

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, Reflex Silver
Fuel or exhaust leak? The only time I notice a smell is right after start up, and only if the wind is blowing the right way.

burrfree

TDI
No both of those. I think it just has to do with the previous owner's odors or something. My thinks it smells like a scented oil or something.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
It could be exhaust... check the flap behind the rear bumper. If they get stuck open, they'll let exhaust in. Could be fuel leaking from the IP... especially after the switch to ULSD. I had to replace the head o-ring on my IP... I could smell diesel whenever there was ULSD in the tank.

It is common to have a musty smell from the AC evaporator or from water leaking in (especially throught he sunroof drains). There are products to clean and deodorize AC coils, and also products to remove mildew smell from carpets.

If it is an in-the-car smell, rent an ozone generator and let it loose in the car.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
burrfree said:
No both of those. I think it just has to do with the previous owner's odors or something. My thinks it smells like a scented oil or something.
Perhaps they rubbed something into the leather.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
McBrew said:
It could be exhaust... check the flap behind the rear bumper. If they get stuck open, they'll let exhaust in.
I had that problem. If you smell more exhaust with the windows cracked, check that little vent flap on the driver's side just above the muffler. One quick fix to that is to get the VW chrome exhaust tips that directs the exhaust out beyond the bumper.

burrfree

TDI
McBrew said:
It could be exhaust... check the flap behind the rear bumper. If they get stuck open, they'll let exhaust in. Could be fuel leaking from the IP... especially after the switch to ULSD. I had to replace the head o-ring on my IP... I could smell diesel whenever there was ULSD in the tank.

It is common to have a musty smell from the AC evaporator or from water leaking in (especially throught he sunroof drains). There are products to clean and deodorize AC coils, and also products to remove mildew smell from carpets.

If it is an in-the-car smell, rent an ozone generator and let it loose in the car.
What flap are you refering to? I looked under the bumper and only see the muffler with 2 turn downs.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
It's not easy to see the flap with the bumper cover on. I'm not 100% sure about that, since I haven't worked on too many NBs, but it should be about the same as the Golf. It is actually on the driver's side, but hidden by the bumper cover. Anyone got a picture of it handy?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The only way to see the vent is to look WAY down the taillight access areas inside the trunk. At least, that was the case with my Golf, not sure about a Beetle.

Sounds like you have a different smell, though, if it smells like scented oil.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
Both my 1998 passat and my 2001 Beetle had a wax smell inside of them. I have noticed this in other VWs of this era as well.

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
My wife's 2001 NB with black leather gradually developed quite a strong odor, kind of a sour smell vaguely reminiscent of oil on a hot manifold.

It's got the 1.8 turbo gasser so I don't think its a diesel exhaust smell. Thought it might be an oil leak around the turbo, but the smell's not in the engine bay nor is there any visual sign of a leak onto the manifold or turbo.

Thought it might be a refrigerant leak in the cabin (from the evaporator), but the smell doesn't correlate with HVAC use (what does 134a and/or PAG oil smell like, anyway?).

Right now I too am suspecting the leather, though not for any good reason. It's not a musty or moldy smell and doesn't correlate with rainfall, so I'm not suspecting water leaks or mold... but I am open to any plausible explanation at this point.

Eddy

smelly_jetta_man

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
My Jetta also has that very strong 'burnt crayon' smell, and it has cloth seats. I bought the car 3 months ago as a certified used car with 50,000 miles, and when I took it back to the dealer to get the smell fixed but they couldnt find anything amis. I've recently been blending with Biodiesiel 1:1, and it hasnt made any difference to the smell. The other bizare development is the roof lining has nearly completely parted from the roof, and hits my head over bumps- sorta of a 'head-in-the-clouds' sensation! I'll have to take it back to the dealer, but i cant help but wonder if the diesiel like smell is so strong its ate away at the roof lining adhesive.
Otherwise I really like this car! After spending several hours perusing all the FAQs, this post is the closest I can find to my problem. Any other sugggestions for me?
thanks in anticipation,
pd

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
My headliner material got replaced by a local guy... $50, but I had to pull it. did a great job!

03PlatinumBug

TDI
2003 Beetle TDI
My '03 NB has the same smell I believe you are describing. A friend of mine has a '98 TDI NB and the first thing he commented on when he sat in mine was that it had the same "smell" as his.
My guess is that it is embedded in the carpet and upholstery from years of running 500 ppm sulfur diesel fuel and letting the exhaust in the cabin by way of open windows in the spring and fall.
I tried the "Lysol in the cabin air filter" trick...and it worked. For a while. I'm guessing it's going to take repeated treatments. If you slide the center cover from the dash forward, you can start removing screws and panels and get to the cabin air filter. Start by replacing the filter ASAP if it is old...changing mine out made a HUGE difference. While you're in there, start the fan running on low and hose the airways with Lysol. DON'T put your face near any of the vents while doing this! You'll stumble out of the bug gagging in seconds...
Like I said, this worked...for a while. Once the summer heat came on, the smell started to return. I'm going to try it again tomorrow myself...
Good luck!:)

bradleyjc

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I was recently told by a trusted VW mechanic that the "Crayon" smell comes from a treatment that VW and other Euro companies put on the door seals on most newer cars. Mine is a 2001 Jetta and it smells too. The reason why it smells worse in the summer is because the treatment has a stronger odor when it melts a little bit. The only remedy I have found is a good air freshener.

itsmejenny

TDI
2001 VW Beetle
This is so funny! My 2001 NB also has a smell. My kids' friends are always telling me my car smells like crayons. I don't know what it is and car fresheners just make it worse.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The crayon smell is the anti-corrosion treatment. It is a wax based material just as are crayons.
Sometimes it even drips out of the doors in the summer.

Bill

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I only fill up when the wife is not with me. She hates it when I get PS on my hands and since most stations in my area don't have a way for you to clean your hands in case of a spill, I just wipe them off with a paper towel and go. Sure some of that gets into the interior of the car as well.

tim273

TDI
2001 VW Beetle TDI
MayorDJQ said:
My '02 Jetta smells like melted crayons, which is much nicer than the potpurri crap that my girlfriend has in my 300SD.
My NB smells like that too...crayons. I've heard of other beetle owners saying the same thing.

Baima

TDI
2003 Golf
frugality said:
The only way to see the vent is to look WAY down the taillight access areas inside the trunk. At least, that was the case with my Golf, not sure about a Beetle.
Hi

I just bought a 2003 Golf and have noticed an exhaust smell when driving, especially when I have windows or the sunroof open. I had wondered if some exhuast was getting sucked in from the back. I took it to a shop with a great reputation and they gave my car a clean bill of health - saying it is in better shape than most 2003s they see. Unfortunately, I do not have a clean bill of health. I have gotten a couple headaches and feel my throat burning after driving for 15 minutes or so. If I close all the windows, I feel a bit better. It seems like it must be this vent. Would someone please break it down for me - exactly where to find it and how to close it. I'd be interested to know what the vent is for as well.

Thank You.

Baima

TDI
2003 Golf
earlier today i was able to find the "vents" by looking deep under the tail lights and to the side of the car. i reached in there and felt them. the slots seemed to have some flimsy plastic filling them. i could push this plastic in a little and feel a draft from outside of the car, and when i pulled my finger out, the plastic returned to the original position. i cannot tell if they are open or closed though.

i drove to work today with all my windows closed and i did not get any exhaust smell - which makes me think all the more that exhaust is being pulled in from the back. i just can't figure out how. anyone able to help???

thanks

QZone

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Highline
Baima said:
earlier today i was able to find the "vents" by looking deep under the tail lights and to the side of the car. i reached in there and felt them. the slots seemed to have some flimsy plastic filling them. i could push this plastic in a little and feel a draft from outside of the car, and when i pulled my finger out, the plastic returned to the original position. i cannot tell if they are open or closed though.

i drove to work today with all my windows closed and i did not get any exhaust smell - which makes me think all the more that exhaust is being pulled in from the back. i just can't figure out how. anyone able to help???

thanks
I believe those vents are intended to vent air out of the car when you have the blower fan operating. The "flimsy plastic" you felt should be a flap that prevents air from entering the vent but allows air to flow out of the vent. If this flap is not in the proper position or has been damaged, it could allow air and exhaust to enter the car if you drive with the windows open. If the windows are closed and the fan is running, you are pressurizing the cabin with air from the front air intake on the car, and the air will be flowing out of the rear vents, not in. If the windows are open, you can get a venturi effect that will pull air out the window (in particular the sunroof if it is open) and pull air in through the rear vent if the flaps are damaged.

Having said that, I've never seen these vents on a VW but have seen similar vents at the rear of other vehicles.

Baima

TDI
2003 Golf
QZone said:
I believe those vents are intended to vent air out of the car when you have the blower fan operating. The "flimsy plastic" you felt should be a flap that prevents air from entering the vent but allows air to flow out of the vent. If this flap is not in the proper position or has been damaged, it could allow air and exhaust to enter the car if you drive with the windows open. If the windows are closed and the fan is running, you are pressurizing the cabin with air from the front air intake on the car, and the air will be flowing out of the rear vents, not in. If the windows are open, you can get a venturi effect that will pull air out the window (in particular the sunroof if it is open) and pull air in through the rear vent if the flaps are damaged.
thanks very much qzone - that hels me understand what they are for - but since they seemed to be in proper condition, i still do not know why i am smelling exhaust. well - i should say - i am not "smelling" exhaust very intensly, but just catch a wiff now and then. then i get a headache or a burning sensation in my throat. this doesn't happen when i keep the windows up. could it be that i am just super sensitive to diesel? i hope not. i love my new car.

mikes tdi

TDI
2005 passat sedan tdi
smells

check insulation under muffler and catalytic converter.
possible insulation fire hazard.insulation was catching on fire.
cant remember but read somewhere about vw recalls for this.
not sure but maybe this is what you are smelling.
id check for sure.better safe than sorry.