B4 Headliner

gearjam

TDI
2000 B5 Passat TDI conversion
Might be a dumb question but my 96 B4 TDI has a black headliner and white sunroof panel. The sun visors are white also. Is this correct or did someone put a black headliner in it?????

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I believe tomo is right - the B4 wasn't offered with a dark head liner so it must have been replaced at some point. But look on the bright side, at least yours isn't falling down around your ears like so many others - including mine. :)

jettaveg

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
I am glad to hear that I am not only one who has a sagging headliner. Has anyone ever replaced one before. Mine is flapping in the back seat. I would like to replace it this summer and I have looked at a few sites that offer replacement headliners and material. Any thoughts, suggestions would be a big help.
btw I love my 96 Passat

gearjam

TDI
2000 B5 Passat TDI conversion
Headliner

Most automotive upholster shops can do headliners. If you remove it let them redo the board and you stick it back in.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
tomo366 said:
You believe Tomo is right??? LOL! I know Tomo is right
Just trying to reinforce the truth - you know how every question asked on the forum has the potential to get a spray pattern of answers. And I know who to suck up to!:D

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Headliner redo

Who is doing your headliner work? I was debating about doing it myself as I think the base of my antenna needs some attention based on the static I get on the AM radio band! May be a suggestion for Impexfest..to get someone out there...should I talk with John?

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
A local auto interior shop quoted me $175 (iirc) if he did all the work. I was having some roof work done due to a garage door that didn't understand what I wanted it to do, so it was $125 delivered and picked up. Worth it. Looks so much nicer. And my wife no longer complains about it.

Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Yup. I found a local hole in the wall upholstery shop to do mine for $200. In and out in about 4 hours. I had quotes up to $500 from other shops.

dauber

Veteran Member
I did this job myself a couple of months ago. I had never done one and it came out looking great. I think it was around $40 with material and glue. That being said I think I will pay to have this done in the future, it was very time consuming.

buccicone

TDI
1997 Passat,Sold 1998 Jetta TDI, Sold 2010 Jetta TDi, 2006 Mercedes E320 CDI
Check out Wls Headliners.

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/bmw-jaguar-volvo-audi-saab-headliner-kit-p-9.html

I Think I got the Audi/Saab headliner kit last summer for my B4. Get 2 Cans of the 3M spray adhesive. Cleaning the liner backing of all the old material is the hardest part. Scrapping with a vacuum cleaner seem to work for me.:mad: They have instructions with the kit. This was the first one I did and it came out great.:)

OilBurnerDE

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat T-Red
buccicone said:
Thanks for the link. I may just go this route as I don't mind doing the work.

I need to do mine as well, I was verbally quoted about $100 from a local upholstery place. With me doing the R&R. But I am now questioning the quote based on what others have been charged and the fact that the Owner/boss wasn't in and the "qoute" was from one of the guys in the shop.

JoeGreen

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1996,White
I bought the material for my headliner from a upholstry shop wholesaler in the low rent district..$3 per linear foot x 7 (just in case).. $13 for a can of "3m super99" . 1.5 Hours of work TO PULL THE TRIM and another 1.5 hours to put it back together...

dodgediesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, 2002 Jetta
My car doesn't have anything on the ceiling (except for the sunroof track and a piece of holey cardboard). Is there some type of framework that I can pick up from a junkyard so I can build a new headliner?
Also, a little off topic, but a mismatched interior started this thread, so I wanted to ask if a black dash and center console was in my otherwise beige car from the factory.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
I did one of mine myself, 40 or so bucks in materials, just go to a local mom and pop upholstery shop and get your materials there. The only real trick to the whole thing is getting the old foam off the headliner panel. Just use a wire brush and brush the old foam off. Don't use any solvent, the headliner board is styrofoam and you can melt it :(
The rest is just taking your time.