www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old April 1st, 2008, 18:45   #1
Silver02TDI
Veteran Member

Default Nexen Tires vs. Falkens

Anybody have any experience with Nexen tires? Know how they compare to Falkens as far as cheap tires go?

Thanks

2012 Golf Wagon TDI 6spd Highline /w Nav
2012 Yamaha FZ6R (also 6spd and white )
2002 Jetta TDI - Reflex silver with mods (Traded)
Silver02TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 19:05   #2
Marchmen
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

As with anything, you'll hear good and bad things for both. Falken has changed the design for the 912 to improve the durability of the tire, and having just seen a new set in person, I'd personally be leaning towards the Falkens.

Had I not found and purchased a lightly used set of Yokohama's, I would have purchased the Falken 912.
Marchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 19:09   #3
Silver02TDI
Veteran Member

Are the 912s much more expensive than the 512s? Reason I'm asking is I know PT has the 512s for $125 each (17" - not installed), and I got a quote from a place in Buffalo for the 912s for $125 each (installed), so I'm wondering if the prices across the border are more comparable now, or if the 912 is generally a more expensive tire, so cheaper in the US. I also got a quote in Toronto for some 17" Nexens for $125 each installed.

Old April 1st, 2008, 19:10   #4
wakeboarder_shawn
Veteran Member

don't want to steal this thread but can we through khumo (sp??) in the mix? any thoughts?
Old April 1st, 2008, 19:23   #5
Marchmen
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02TDI
Are the 912s much more expensive than the 512s? Reason I'm asking is I know PT has the 512s for $125 each (17" - not installed), and I got a quote from a place in Buffalo for the 912s for $125 each (installed), so I'm wondering if the prices across the border are more comparable now, or if the 912 is generally a more expensive tire, so cheaper in the US. I also got a quote in Toronto for some 17" Nexens for $125 each installed.
The 512 has been discontinued in favour of the 912. The 512 had a softer sidewall and were sought after as they were a narrower tire (on the small side of the scale, but still within spec) and allowed for a stretch on wider wheels. This was great for appearance, but durability or tread life suffered.

The 912 was designed with a stiffer sidewall and improved durability. Overall, the tire prices for Falkens are still cheaper in the US, although the difference is more reasonable. You can expect for Perjad's prices to increase now as it was expected that Falken was going to raise their prices after April 1st. How much it goes up depends on how suppliers decided to handle or pass on the price increase.

I've asked a guy I know to quote me some prices for tires/taxes/installation on the standard VW sizes, so I'll see what he comes back at.
Marchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 19:45   #6
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

My "new" 2001 Golf came with Nexen tires...

I wasn't happy, and when I switch away from the snow tires, I'll be looking elsewhere...

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 19:57   #7
pleopard
Veteran Member

Silver, I _just_ ordered Falkens from PT for my non-TDI Jetta. I was quoted for 512s but received 912s! I think the 912s are quickly replacing 512s. You should call for details.
Old April 1st, 2008, 20:09   #8
CmdrData
Veteran Member

I don't think PT has 512s anymore since I saw his post dated last Aug saying 512s is no longer available and has been replaced by 912s in vortex Ontario forum where he is the sponser.

Here is his pricing for 912s posted on vortex...
http://www.precisiontuning.ca/tire/ze912.shtml

BTW, he did say prices will go up "slightly" by Apr. 1st.

2001 Golf TDI GLS
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
CmdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 20:23   #9
VwPodRacer
Veteran Member

i have Nexen 3000's on my bbs Rc's and they are good... they are quiet on the highway and stick ok.. i wouldnt recommend them for rally racing or anything... but they get the job done for a cheaper tire... spent all my money on the Rc's and then had no money left for the tires.. and didnt want to wait

Evil Things To Come! .:RTDI
VwPodRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:41   #10
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's what it's all about!

I have Nexen winter tires and just finished my first season with them.

While they are not all seasons, they behaved just fine in the winter- no excess wear, good traction, no odd defects or anything one would expect from a bargain basement tire.

1996 B4V TDI- 460k, Mods: Doesn't leak, plus a few doodads here and there.
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
2005 B5.5 Variant - De-BSM'd, Now with no transmission!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:04   #11
Link977
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver02TDI
You have to add fuel consumption, exchange rate (you didn't mention it's US dollar or Canadian dollar, now CDN went down.), and how many hours will you send on travelling? The most important reason is why gives business to U.S when you have a locally dealer who has the best attitude and gives you stuff at the same prices?
Mods: Hella E-code/ Evo Skidplate/ PP357/ 5 brake lights/ Hella deco comet blinker/ Snow screen removed/ Amsoil Ea filter/ B5 oil cooler/ Euro 5.5L windshield fluid tank/ Bilstein TC/ CAT 2 filter/ TDIHeater/ Custom Boost gauge/ TT bushing/ Aero Wiper Kit/ Phatnoise/ KERMATDI's OMI/ PP DP/ Eurojet SMIC

Next:Magnaflow GLI CAT Back

Last edited by Link977; April 2nd, 2008 at 08:08.
Link977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:17   #12
Sebpt
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex
I have Nexen winter tires and just finished my first season with them.

While they are not all seasons, they behaved just fine in the winter- no excess wear, good traction, no odd defects or anything one would expect from a bargain basement tire.
I had them too for 2 seasons and would not buy them again. Tire wear sucked. My wife has the Falkens, they are decent tires.
Sebpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:30   #13
Silver02TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link977
You have to add fuel consumption, exchange rate (you didn't mention it's US dollar or Canadian dollar, now CDN went down.), and how many hours will you send on travelling? The most important reason is why gives business to U.S when you have a locally dealer who has the best attitude and gives you stuff at the same prices?
Okay if I have to defend my considerations, then...

Fuel consumption is negligable, as is travel time, since I'd combine it with a cross-border shopping trip I've been wanting to do for years. Also, driving to PT for example is an almost two hour round trip for me with city traffic, so that's half the Buffalo trip.

PT unfortunately can't install them, so I'd have to haul them to find some place that will, so that is also time and fuel consuming, not to mention installation cost of $80+ tax. Any other place (here or down south), it would be one-stop shopping. (P.S. I did buy my winter tires at PT)

And finally, no local business to me is worth spending hundreds of dollars more. Sure, if it's a matter of $100 difference, I might save myself the hassle and stay local, but if we're talking $200 plus, then...

Last edited by Silver02TDI; April 2nd, 2008 at 09:23.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:18   #14
Precisiontuning

TDI(s): n/a

SilverTDI, the New Falken 912 is much better than 512. They last longer, stiffer side wall and less noise.

Due to stronger Canadian $ the prices are also better than old 512.

Here is the new pricelist for 912.

8600 Keele St unit 46/47 (Keele/Langstaff)
(905) 761-0233 Precisiontuning.ca
Precisiontuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:22   #15
Silver02TDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisiontuning
SilverTDI, the New Falken 912 is much better than 512. They last longer, stiffer side wall and less noise.

Due to stronger Canadian $ the prices are also better than old 512.

Here is the new pricelist for 912.

Those are great prices! Do you have a recommended installer in Toronto?