www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old March 31st, 2008, 07:53   #1
quadboss74
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best: 48 mpg, worst 38, avg. 40
Default Need opinions for a quiet, LRR tire please

Yes, another tire question. Currently running Kumho Ecsta 711's (225/45-17). Wasted one of them the other day with a huge gash in it. I don't really care for these tires much; I find them loud, don't really have a comfortable ride, and I have taken a mileage hit. They do handle pretty good though.
So I am debating between replacing 2 of these tires or maybe just buying a whole new set of something else. The 711's are tough to find now, most places only carry the asx model.
Anyone running a good a/s tire in this size that they are happy with? And not too pricey?? My top priority is a quiet/comfortable ride, not too sticky/LRR. Recommendations appreciated!
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:20   #2
shortysclimbin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk2 golf

stay away from the performance summer tires or performance all seasons. best bet is all seasons with a long lifespan (harder rubber = lower rolling resistance and less noise). If you can find some with kevlar belted radials, and a decent directional pattern.
shortysclimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:39   #3
ottoman

I have been running 225/45-17 Continental ContiProContacts on my '03 Jetta for the last two years and love them. I notice no mileage difference between these and my winter tires (50-55mpg), handling is great, and they have tons of tread left after 30k miles. My snow tires go on in the winter, so I cannot attest to their cold weather handling.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:20   #4
quadboss74
Veteran Member

Sweet, thanks I will check out those Contis.
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:15   #5
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: Tdi avg 48.6mpg. BMW avg 10 CPM and practically NO MAINTENANCE!

2 of the top five Tdi club A/S favorites:
  • Michelin Pilot Exalto: 4-season A/S
  • Nokian I-3: 3.5 season A/S
Both are LRR, excellent handling. Check out reviews at Tire rack and elsewhere.
nicklockard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:39   #6
Variant TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.4min/44average/56.4max. Recently improved commuting from 42mpg to 50mpg with 'new' driving habits and Scangauge.

Can I see where the Pilot Exalto is listed as a LRR tire?
Michelin doesn't say anything about it on their site.

2002 Golf Wagon TDI - - 1996 GTI VR6 - - Flickr

Variant TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:06   #7
quadboss74
Veteran Member

Well I ended up going with the Exaltos. The Contis had poor reviews on Tirerack and the Nokians were not available in the size I needed-at least what I could find. Hope to get them installed this weekend. I have run these tires briefly on another set of wheels, don't remember what my thoughts were on them though.