www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old March 30th, 2008, 06:15   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default Will the Cops Do Anything When You Report Aggressive/Reckless Driving?

If you see someone driving extremely recklessly and report their tag number to the police, will the police contact them? I imagine the answer can vary, based on jurisdiction, but I was wondering, because Friday I reported another driver after he swerved into my lane, almost hitting me, and would have if I did not swerve out of his way.

Sorry to be long winded about this, but this really shook me up.

I was in the right lane on a divided parkway and changed lanes to pass a slower moving vehicle and I was preparing to merge into the right lane again. There was a merging entrance ramp to my left and two cars were coming down the ramp. The both cars were infront of me and in the ramp lane and supposed to yield as I passed. The first car slowed to do so, but the second car, right when the front of my car was abreast of the middle of the passenger door, swerved fully into my lane to pass the car that slowed for me! Since I always am on gaurd for this crap, I noticed what he did and swerved to the right as quickly as I could, halfway expecting either a collision, or to loose control of the Jetta. My front fender came within about six inches from hitting his car and he ended up fully in my lane, even though I honked as I swerved. I must have also jabbed the brakes and after he was in my lane I swerved back from the right lane into the left, about a foot behind his bumper. Amazingly, the Jetta handled exceptionally well. No loss of control whatsoever and I had the self control to keep from flying off the right side of the road.

After this happened, the other driver just took off as fast as he could and I followed him, since I was so pi$$ed I could have killed him. Now I see how road rage can happen. The speed limit was 40 MPH and I briefly glanced at my speedo and I was going a little over 100 . About a quarter of a mile up, this fu*ker got pinned behind traffic and I cut right in behind him. I wrote his plate number on my hand and at that time, there was another left merge lane and this driver swerved out of the left lane, drove up the merge lane and cut in serveral cars up. I am not sure if he was in a big hurry, or trying to get away from me. Since I had his plate number I did not try to follow him.

This was a small SAAB, the one that looks similar to the A4 Jetta. His tag number ended in "FD" which indicates it is a fire department person.

About 15 minutes later I called the police and reorted the incident and the operator asked for my name and phone number and simply said "We will look for him".

Does the police take these reports seriously?

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; March 30th, 2008 at 06:18.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:20   #2
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Here you're supposed to be able to report drunk and have them detained on the road. But, as you said, jurisdictions vary in the concern displayed by the local constabulary.

You are lucky not to have been tagged with bent sheet metal or worse. Good reactions helped you a great deal and may have saved your life.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:30   #3
wakdady
Veteran Member

what if someone was following you recklessly doing 100mph and called the cops on you?
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:22   #4
B.L.T
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakdady
what if someone was following you recklessly doing 100mph and called the cops on you?
You would be just as mad as the op if someone nearly sideswiped your jetta.

I would of done the same as the op. Followed that bastard down and got his license plate. Hell if we got stuck in traffic id probably get out of my car and ask the guy what the hell he was doing. Some people just dont have common sense these days.
Old March 30th, 2008, 10:49   #5
NFSTDI

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39-44.75 MPG, cumulative average 39 MPG

Can you say anger management therapy?
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
http://www.keysforcarsberkeley.com

Last edited by NFSTDI; March 30th, 2008 at 10:53.
NFSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:25   #6
Chemboy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSTDI
Can you say anger management therapy?
Seriously. If no damage was done, let it go. It's not worth the danger you put yourself in when you chase someone down or get out to yell at them. Two wrongs don't make you right.

And to the OP, this isn't the first time you've posted about your anger at other drivers and what has happened as a result. Chill out!

--Andy
Chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:35   #7
talltacoma
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: (51,xxx miles 02/2012) Mid-forties at 65 mph

Nate,
Yes, citizen reports are taken seriously. Many impaired drivers have been reported by concerned motorists and taken off the road. Don't ever hesitate to report reckless driving. Things to keep in mind:

1. You are able to sign a traffic complaint/citation as an officer would. If the driver contests your complaint, you will have to testify in court.

2. If you are unwilling to sign the complaint/citation, the officer must develope his own reason to stop the vehicle.

3. In the event you report a reckless/careless driver, be able to provide the license plate, vehicle make/model/color and attempt to identify the driver, i.e. a white male with brown hair and wearing a blue baseball cap. It's ok if you can't ID the driver.

4. Finally, an officer may not be in proximity and unable to assist. However, officers can't help if they dont know. Again, never hesitate to report reckless driving.
Old March 30th, 2008, 15:52   #8
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54mpg/50/47

In colorado you can dial *CSP and the state patrol will take the information and send a letter to the driver. My understanding is that if the same driver gets more than one compaint they will have an officer deliver the letter to the home in person.

To the OP I have to say you were wrong to chase this guy at 100 in a 40. In fact in many places, a trained police officer with lights and siren would be in trouble if they chased this guy for a traffic infraction at such speeds and ended up hurting someone.

Anger management would be a good thought if you would like to improve yourself in this area. In the meantime, let the Saab driver bury themself with their own bad karma and recklessness. I feel your frustration though; tough nut to swallow.

Last edited by Funguy; March 31st, 2008 at 17:55.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 19:14   #9
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

__. Will they take action is you report getting stale donuts? (I think that that's much more likely.)

__. I hope they do, Nate. But with your "rear end thing" from a few months ago and now this, I'm wondering if you shouldn't get out of that hell-hole they call NoVirginia. Believe me, there are real places with green space and air and nice people and open roads to drive on. Really.
Old March 31st, 2008, 03:48   #10
Bliddy Bladdy

TDI(s): Jetta 2013
Fuel Economy: 43

I was harrassed by someone in another lane that apparently did not want to be passed by me and would speed up and slow down to keep me in the left lane, and I did nothing to start this. I was on cruise control until this started at night on I-70 in MD for about 25 miles. I called #77 twice and first time was told to try to get off the road and I said I was surely not driving to some road I was not familiar with when I was here on an interstate. I was told to get the license number and call back if it continued. I tried to slow down but the other car continued the same, so I finally pulled a "Maverick" maneuver and hit the brakes enough for the car to get ahead so I could make out the tags. I called back and was told they would BOLO. Passed two places where SP had people already pulled over for other traffic issues but saw nobody coming to my aid. The car finally pulled off onto an exit.

I'm not real pleased with the traffic enforcement type of police. They're pretty much focused on watching a radar gun readout than looking for other traffic violations that are harder to observer and prove. I guess if the other car had cut me off a few times and I finally decided to take him out with a shove to the rear quarterpanel, I would have finally seen the police.
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:06   #11
NFSTDI

That type of behavior seems to be on the rise. I call it ego driving. As someone who does a lot of driving I can forgive the occasional oblivious idiot. However, this sort of thing is annoying at best and dangerous at worst. As you have so eloquently pointed out the police are useless when it comes to this issue.

A friend once told me his solution. He just swerves a bit and crowds the person next to him. He says they drop back or speed up real quick! I don't condone this nor any other "dangerous" driving tactic. However, when you need to make a lane change to get out of the way of some other idiot it just might save your life.
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:07   #12
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Thank you all for your replies. I posted this story, without editing what happened (I included my wrong of chasing this guy up the road), so I could get some honest feedback. I do agree, I have to learn to control my reaction to others' actions when driving, and I can not control what they do. I can just be a careful driver, and not go off when someone does something careless or disrespectful (blatently wreckless, in this case). Near misses are bound to happen. I rarely get upset by other things in life, but I do seem overly critical of other people's driving, especially when it could damage my property or endangers me.

I do think if I had an old beater, I would be a more relaxed driver. I am just too picky about my Jetta.

I do plan to retire well away from Northern Virginia, which I agree with Mr. Gutwrench, is a hell hole, traffic wise.

This morning when I was passing the same exit ramp where I was cut off and had to swerve violently to the right on Friday, I noticed the steep embankment to the right, next to the road, without a guard rail, and the Potomac River at the bottom of the embankment. That's where I would have ended up if I went off of the road, and I most likely would have rolled a few times on the way down.

And about 10 seconds after passing this merge ramp I saw the same SAAB and driver that cut me off on Friday (it was right at the same time of day), and he weaved right in front of me and my first inistinct was to get up next to him and scream and honk at him (about what he did Friday), but more level thoughts prevaled and I just chilled out, and I just watched him race down the road, recklessly weaving in and out of traffic. Oddly, he used his turn signal every time he changed lanes! Within 30 seconds he was out of sight, but not after he pulled left and ran up another merge lane to pass a couple of more cars on the George Washington Parkway. Unbelievable.

I then realized that the Karma Police will catch up with this person someday. Not sure when, but its gonna happen to someone who drives like that.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; March 31st, 2008 at 07:24.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:43   #13
Funguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54mpg/50/47

That poor SOB SAAB driver has got to be around himself 24/7. Apparently he drives this way all the time. I can't imagine life like that so up tight. One day Nate you are going to read about this guy confined. Either in Jail, in a mental instituition or a wheel chair. NICE show of self control on your part brother.
Funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:05   #14
NFSTDI

Nate, kudos for handling the situation with restraint.

To echo Funguy....see ya wouldn't wanna be ya!

As to your original question I hope the answer is yes but I fear that it's more likely no in most cases.
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:54   #15
(O\=o=/O)
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funguy
That poor SOB SAAB driver has got to be around himself 24/7. Apparently he drives this way all the time. I can't imagine life like that so up tight. One day Nate you are going to read about this guy confined. Either in Jail, in a mental instituition or a wheel chair. NICE show of self control on your part brother.
Loved your post. I will remember you from now on when these things happen to me. I think it will help. We have had a bit of luck lately when someone did something crazy around us they were pulled over by a patrolman.

One thing I have seen in MO on I70 and I29 is multiple cars running in a string at 85 mph in a 70 mph zone thinking that only the first car in the string will get pulled over. I have seen 3 separate occasions where all 4, 5 or 6 cars got pulled over sitting in a line waiting for their ticket. Imagine how much time you lose if you are last in that string.
(O\=o=/O) is offline   Reply With Quote