www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old March 26th, 2008, 17:29   #1
Chasee
Self-Exiled SPV, Deactivated Account

Default 90K using WVO in a 2005 PD!

Nothing much to add to my former 80K post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=197032

WVO-wise, nothing to add at all.

Got the timing belt/water pump replaced today. Also had to replace both front wheel bearings.

Mech at the dealer, who is familiar with WVO in general, said the car once again sounds better than some with half the mileage and no WVO.

Anyway, that's all for now. See you at 100K.
Chasee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 17:58   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Chase, I guess many of us remain curious about your success compared to so many failures at a fraction of the miles you've done. What's your magic?
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 18:17   #3
Chasee

Beats me.

But I guess my attention to detail / anal retentiveness probably has a lot to do with it. More times than not, I've been surprised by people who seemed to be (on paper) following all the rules, only to find out there were glaring oversights once I got to talking with them.

Or, I've used up all the luck I could have used in Vegas.
Old March 26th, 2008, 18:26   #4
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Well, perhaps you can do a video or some other "how-to" to spare these poor souls from their self-inflicted misery. Something just doesn't up when we review all these cases. And I'm not thinking of just the problems witnessed here.

Thx.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2008, 20:38   #5
BioDiesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta

Congrats Chasee.
I've been here long enough to remember the "it cant be done in a PD" comments. Too high pressure, etc, etc, blah blah blah.

As for failures, too many think they can play automotive engineer and DIY.
I can't believe newb's still propose to heat with exhaust, and other rejected ideas.
Or don't know how to process wvo properly.

And it's still a learning process, for all of us.

Based on the emails and phone calls I've been getting, expect a lot more wvo systems on the road in the next year.
BioDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:09   #6
Chasee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldorf
Well, perhaps you can do a video or some other "how-to" to spare these poor souls from their self-inflicted misery. Something just doesn't up when we review all these cases. And I'm not thinking of just the problems witnessed here.

Thx.
Yea, there is a plan for a SVO/WVO How To for this forum. Unfortunately, I think that culturally, we 'murcans always feel we can do it better personally, ourselves. Not that that's a bad thing, I kind of did that myself. But it makes for a much higher instance of failure. Interesting cultural comparison to EU, where SVO is many order of magnitude more common, yet seemingly more reliable.
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:12   #7
BioDiesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta

" EU, where SVO is many order of magnitude more common, yet seemingly more reliable."

By my estimate it's 50/50 WVO/SVO in Europe.
Here, it's 98% WVO. That might explain why there are more problems reported here.
BioDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:24   #8
Chasee

That seems plausible. I'd be surprised if in EU WVO was as high as 50%. I've heard that it is not at all easy to come by since it is truely treated as a commodity over there. Here, it kind of depends on where you are, but in general its easy to come by for free.
Old March 30th, 2008, 20:29   #9
kingkos
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8L/100km

i am now at about 55,000km (35,000miles) on WVO. i am not half as anal as Chasee when it comes to filtering, but then again, Chasee converted a new car and mine had 210,000km on it. I have to adimt i would be very reluctant to convert a new car, especially since there are potential warranty impications, and the cost of screwing up is huge (http://getoffoil.blogspot.com/). I wonder if my non-anal filtering will come back to bite me in the ass someday. I guess time will tell.

Congrats on the 90K Chasee.

Steve

kingkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 13:53   #10
tdinjbeetle

Fuel Economy: 45ish- both fuels
Default Cool!!!!

Congrats Chasee! I put my greasecar kit in the beetle last June and already put about 17000 miles on veg already. I'm pretty sure I already paid back the kit already (especially at $4 a gallon). I didnt spend too much on anything else except for a barrel heater and hand pump. Barrels I get for free and the bag filters are farely cheap (I use a 5-1micron bag filter)....anyway, I'd be pretty pleased if I get to 90000 miles........I just replaced the clutch last week and the diesel fuel filter clogged/replaced...and the thing is just running great.

I dont count my man-hours in the ROI, to me its a pleasure to pick-up oil from my favorite luncheonette and have some breakfast...Their oil strains (100 micron) real easy and I usually putz around the yard/garage doing other things when Im filtering. I just dont spend a huge amount of time on it and what is spent is more of a minor hobby.
Old April 4th, 2008, 19:47   #11
gjetta

TDI(s): 04 jetta tdi
Fuel Economy: 45 mpg

Is the reasons why you have to been so anal about this stuff because you are using WVO? My question is if I buy b99 from a trusted company, can I run it in the PD engine or do I need to be very careful whenever I do that?

gjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 15:33   #12
BadMonKey
Veteran Member

Keep the updates comming!
BadMonKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:23   #13
Chasee

94k.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:41   #14
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Just bumping up an old post as I saw Chasee is now past 112K on WVO with no issues. Still running fine. To bad he isn't around here anymore, but I think it is important to still report on his vehicle as it has been on WVO since new.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:55   #15
Rexking414
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 jetta
Fuel Economy: Around 41 Mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcampin
To bad he isn't around here anymore, but I think it is important to still report on his vehicle as it has been on WVO since new.
Why did he leave?