www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 16th, 2008, 07:53   #1
applied

Default 98 Jetta TDI, can I change water pump without removing the timing belt?

My timing belt was replaced about 30k miles ago, but now the water pump is giving me trouble to the point it's leaking a ton of water and the car is unusable.

I need to change the water pump, but I'm wondering if it's possible to change the water pump without having to remove the timing belt. Can anyone who knows the procedure point me to a guide and let me know if it's possible to just change the pump?

Thanks!
applied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:28   #2
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

It is,but only if you remove the water pump AND housing together-I paid my mechanic to do it.You need to move the alternator,ac compressor(leave lines attached),and ps pump to do it-there was some threads on here not too long ago about it-I bought the complete water pump kit from Dieselgeek for around $120(housing,pump,thermostat,gasket).Most people prefer to take TB off to do it(as there is 1 bolt in water pump that can't be removed w/ TB in place)-one of our more knowledgeable members should be able to post a link for you-I don't know how.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:10   #3
applied

If someone could post a link, that would be great. I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I'd rather not remove the timing belt since it still has good life in it.
applied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:21   #4
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: B4 = 48/40/36 A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Just because you remove the timing belt, doesn't mean you can't put it back on. From what I've read, it's easiest to do the lock-down, take off the tb, replace the wp, put the tb back on. Everything I've read says this is the best way.
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:23   #5
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

For thirty bucks I'd be putting a new timing belt on there.

Easiest way to do the water pump is to take the timing belt off, which is comparatively easy on that car. It's too hard to take the entire water pump housing off.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote