www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 3rd, 2008, 03:36   #1
Pinknoise
Veteran Member

Default Slow down shudder (AGAIN)

Hi,

I've posted many times for help with slow down shudder. (Thanks to eveyone who has helped soo far). So far I have not been able to fix my shudder by adjusting the IQ, even a setting of 9 didn't fix it. I did however notice that the engine would shudder when at idle RPM and the wheels were turning, in gear or out. As a test I jacked the front of the car up, started it in neutral and spun the front wheels by hand. Sure enough the engine started to judder, with the bonet up it was actually quite a violent shake like a misfire. I also discovered the problem also occured in gear as long as the revs were about idle. Obviously with the wheels off the ground the car was happy to sit in first or second at idle. I tried disconnecting the drive shafts and abs sensors to no avail. When I finally found the road speed sensor and disconnected it, the shudder went away. As a test I reconnected it with the engine running and in first gear (still jacked up) and within a second of plugging it in the shudder came back. I tried much newer road speed sensor from a scrappy but this didn't solve it. I've ordered a second hand ecu from ebay but it hasn't arrived yet.

Has anyone seen this problem before, or even guess at what might be wrong?

Thanks
Sam
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 07:42   #2
Pinknoise
Veteran Member

Does anyone else know about this "known" ecu fault. The ecu in the article (018 bm) is mine.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...emrguide17.xml
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:48   #3
Syndicate
Veteran Member

Possibly a DMF thats on its way out; at least thats what it looks like IMO since you've tried everything else.

Is that the origional clutch in the car?
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 19:51   #4
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

How many miles on the car? Have you checked the injectors? they may be worn or dirty enough to cause the problem.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:44   #5
mikehturbo

Hi

I have the exact same shudder on my Golf GT TDI 110.

Have you found the problem as of yet?

mike
mikehturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:53   #6
t0m541
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51Mpg all day long

This shudder does it feel like you are driving over some very small ripples in the road or that each tyre has a small flat spot that you can feel and that they are all out of sync, only at very slow speed..below 8mph and engine at idle when you are maybe stopping in traffic or at junction??

If so then I have it too, Audi A3 110 '99 plate AHF engine.

Tom

Bosio pp502 nozzles, Kerma tune, GT1752 Hybrid Turbo, Custom de-cat exhaust, Sports CAI, EGR Delete, MAF Delete, 150WHP and building for 200
t0m541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 16:22   #7
n0chex

TDI(s): Bora 150 TDI

I have just bought a bora 1999 ( 110bhp ) AHF Engine and have the same symptons , i would be very interested in the outcome , i was led to believe it might have been my MAF even more so as that code came up on my mates diagnostics machine so i have ordered one from ebay 19:50 will try to keep you guys upto date on the outcome.
n0chex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 16:39   #8
n0chex

On TDI 110s, fault with the ECU (038 906 018 BM) needs upgrade (038 906 018 GQ)

Where is the ECU located on the car and how do i know what model /code mine is.
Old March 24th, 2008, 18:31   #9
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: It's what it's all about!

Mine does this as well. It's maddening that the engine should idle poorly when it's moving, and fine when it's stationary - why would some over-compensating German engineer think that an idling engine requires different fuel if it's moving?

My understanding is that the "hammer mod" is appropriate for this symptom when adjusting the IQ does not fix things. I have not done this to mine yet, as I am waiting for the weather to warm.

A word of caution - adjusting the top of the injector housing can also cause the engine to run away, so be very precise in your (small) adjustments.

Nothing is stock any more - Nothing.
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:09   #10
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, 49-55 Peugeot

Pretty much all engines with EFI alter the idle speed if the car is moving...
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 14:20   #11
veedub1976

TDI(s): GT TDI 110
Default mk4 gt tdi slow starting,and juddering at 8 mph

My mk4 GT TDI 110 ,2000, is suffering from slow turn over first thing in the morning,the battery is fine.Been told the starter may be on it's way out or the DMF may have chuked it's dust into the starter and clogged it up.
Also i've noticed when i slow down and am virtually stopped i can feel a juddering,so after reading this article i'm wondering if DMF is on it's last legs and i'm going to have a huge bill to pay out!
Only had the car a week.
Would the starter be slow if the DMF is on it's way out??or could it just be a lazy starter?
Help please??!!
veedub1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2008, 16:09   #12
gallaj01
Veteran Member

I have had the same problem for about 6 months. I have a 2001 Jetta GLS TDI 90HP (ALH engine code) with 185K mi on it. The shudder occurs just before idle when slowing down, whether in gear or neutral, clutch in or out.
gallaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2008, 17:58   #13
n0chex

I can confirm that after i fitted the new MAF the judder is still there .
I must say the car seams to pull alot better and smoother though.

If the IQ suppose to fix it is this done via VAG COM if so i do not have it or can not afford it at the moment as im skint.

I will sure follow this thread as it really does get on my nerves the judder and would love to fix it.
Old March 27th, 2008, 20:29   #14
BioChoppers

Fuel Economy: 53

Curious what your balance looks like in measuring block 13?

"A Great Pleasure In Life Is Doing What Others Say You Can't"

BioChoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:05   #15
Pinknoise
Veteran Member

The IQ mod is only really for engines that have been set at 3 or below. The shudder occurs then but for a different reason. My 038 906 018 BM (the most widly known for the fault, but not the only one) ECU was set at 3.6 and I still got the shudder. I used the hammer mod to go all the way to 9 and still got shudder. Finally I found a scrappy with literally 100s of VAG ECUs sitting on a shelf. I tried several 038 906 018 GN from Octavia's and all had the same fault, I tried a 018 P from a passat which was much better than my own but ended up with a 018 DG from a 2000 Audi A6 which seemed to be almost perfect. During the 45 mile drive home I did find that it did it occasionally when either coasting for a long time or just moving two feet in traffic. BUT only very slightly and only occasionally. When I checked in VAG-COM the IQ was at 4, I increased it to 5 as I am running larger injectors and (touch wood, fingers crossed) its going well.

So for anyone trying to solve this problem I suggest that check your IQ, give it a quick try, but don't waste money like I and many others on injectors, maf sensors and even road speed sensors. BTW the road speed sensor is actually a good check to tell if your shudder is over fueling at idle or if its an ECU fault. If the road speed sensor is unplugged (top of gear box behind linkage) and the car is coasted at 10-15mhp, hill is good (or whatever scenario you find produces the shudder best) and there is no shudder, then its the ECU don't waste anymore time or money - ECU! (OBVIOUSLY DRIVING A CAR WITHOUT THE SPEEDO CONNECTED HAS SERIOUS LEGAL AND SAFETY ISSUES. TEST SHOULD ONLY BE CARRIED OUT UNDER CONTROLLED CONDITIONS BY A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL ON PRIVATE GROUND)

FIX: Buy Vag-com if you havn't already - the aftermarket leads are on eBay for less than 20, then buy a licence only from ross tech ($99) and use version 4.xx. Its all you'll need for most things on these older cars! Then just go to a scrappy and try ECUs until you get one. In my experience the last letters can be interchanged (my experience only NOT FACT). ECUs go on eBay for stupid Money, "Motors in motion" sell there second hand ones for 150+VAT +P+P. Neally all breakers here in Northern Ireland only wanted 50-70 +VAT. The one I found was happy to let me try them until I got one that worked.

I hope this helps anyone trying to solve this problem. My car (I say mine but its the wifes so you can imagine how much worse the problem was for me, listening to her AND trying to figure it out) has only been running a week now on the 018 DG Audi ECU, but so far so good. If the shudder is still there it is very slight and hardly noticable (havn't noticed yet), she could probably live with it if she did notice it.

BTW if that all seems too time consuming or compllex and you want a quick fix. Take it to VW, the new 018 GQ ECU will sting you 743+VAT +Fitting but it will solve the problem and only take a couple of hours.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, ACCIDENTS OR LEGAL REPERCUSSIONS DUE TO DOING ANYTHING MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD!