Another BRM Cam Wear Issue

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
I just pulled off the VC on this 06 BRM due to engine missing very badly. The current owner claims to have used Elf DID purchased from Peter at tdiparts since he owned the vehicle from 60K miles. The vehicle currently has 90K miles. 60K miles of unknown or verified oil type. My crappy camera only allowed the two photos below but, I think you can clearly see the damage, eh? The first pic clearly shows the wear. The second pic shows the lobe's funny shape against the side of the cam bearing cap and next to the roller. I will be performing the repair and my tech Scott will be there to observe as well. Later!

Last edited:

Harvieux

TDI
40X40 said:
Once the damage is done, good oil can't heal it.

Bill
Hi Bill, I can only imagine that both you and I knew this all along, eh? ;) I am however, still awaiting for the great member's we have here that has been in complete control of their servicing from the day their PD left the driveway of the dealership and now have accumulated higher miles and has suffered this tragic issue. It would also be helpful if our brother's from across the pond in Europe chime in as well and hope all who do can truly confirm that the proper spec oil was used from day one. It will take me a long, long time to participate in this study because mine only has 10K miles to date and lives secure, cuddly, and warm in the garage most of the time.;) Later!

dieseltdi

TDI
soon to be 82 Vanagon TDI
I just purchased a used 04 Jetta PD with 77400 miles on it. Original owner had all service done at the dealer and they convinced her to do it every 5000 miles with the Castro 505.01 and even convinced her to change the timing belt, water pump and other assorted parts at 70000 miles. So far, the car seems to be running fine without any kinds of problems. Idles smooth, power is great and the mileage is much better than my old 98 Jetta TDI. I haven't had the valve cover off and I don't think I will unless something happens. I will be using the Elf 505.01 oil because it is also the same oil for my Jeep Grand Cherokee CDI (07) and changing it at the required intervals. I realize that this particular engine in the post is the latter version of the PD engine but the mechanics are the same. Unless they made some vast improvement in the manner in which the cam rollers interact with the injectors. What other symptoms did the car have other than a miss? Certainly the fuel economy must have suffered and there should have been smoke...right? Hayden

Harvieux

TDI
Well, I thought I would show another issue we discovered upon replacement of the cam on this BRM. Notice the difference in wear on the Injector lash cap (Ball Pin) from one to the other. This is where the lash adjuster meets the top of the injector plunger opposite the roller. Needless to say, I will be replacing these as well. I will PM Pete (drivebiwire) to see if he had the same issue on the ones he has done in the past.

I also included a couple pics of the damaged cam follower's. The first one is from cylinder #1 and the second pic is cylinder #3. What a fricken mess, eh?:rolleyes: Later!

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
-$4.10 for adjusting screw
-$18.89 for Ball pin

In the cars I have had to overhaul due to incorrect oil usage I have found the ball and screw to be within acceptable limits. I based this on my observation of the ball pins contact area and how much untouched area there was around the outer diameter.

Keep in mind that the ball pin and screw are simple compressive forces that don't see the extreme rubbing type wear of the cam and lifter contact points. I would say that if there is any doubt to the condition of these two parts replace them without questioning it.

Harv, glad you mentioned this since it is something that must be inspected when the engine has any history of the wrong oil spec being used.

DB

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Harvieux said:
Hi Bill, I can only imagine that both you and I knew this all along, eh? ;) I am however, still awaiting for the great member's we have here that has been in complete control of their servicing from the day their PD left the driveway of the dealership and now have accumulated higher miles and has suffered this tragic issue. It would also be helpful if our brother's from across the pond in Europe chime in as well and hope all who do can truly confirm that the proper spec oil was used from day one. It will take me a long, long time to participate in this study because mine only has 10K miles to date and lives secure, cuddly, and warm in the garage most of the time.;) Later!
Harv, a buddy of mine in Germany has a limo company that uses almost all VW PD engines (except for the Audi A8 and A6). He has all PD130's and I think the lowest mileage one has 350,000km and the highest up around 500,000. All motors have run VW 506.01 since new and use the extended service intervals. I think his average change is still around 13,000-15,000 miles due to large vehicle size and high speed driving. Not a single van/car has had ANY cam related repairs...These vehicles are run HARD on the autobahn and I personally have seen 170kmph+ in the vans (and 220 in the A8 which I think was the speed limiters limit :D).

The Benz he has also does extended service intervals which the average oil change is around 16,000 miles (due to the larger oil sump IMHO). here is a snapshot of how the 2003 E320 CDI is holding up with all original engine components...

DB

Last edited:

Harvieux

TDI
Drivbiwire said:
Harv, a buddy of mine in Germany has a limo company that uses almost all VW PD engines (except for the Audi A8 and A6). He has all PD130's and I think the lowest mileage one has 350,000km and the highest up around 500,000. All motors have run VW 506.01 since new and use the extended service intervals. I think his average change is still around 13,000-15,000 miles due to large vehicle size and high speed driving. Not a single van/car has had ANY cam related repairs...These vehicles are run HARD on the autobahn and I personally have seen 170kmph+ in the vans (and 220 in the A8 which I think was the speed limiters limit :D).

The Benz he has also does extended service intervals which the average oil change is around 16,000 miles (due to the larger oil sump IMHO). here is a snapshot of how the 2003 E320 CDI is holding up with all original engine components...

DB
Great information, Pete. I kinda figured we will see little to no cam failures as long as the correct oil is religiously used from the get go. ;) Yep, no worries regarding the replacement of the adjusting screws because I am also replacing the whole rocker assembly and they are included. According to the Bentley, these ball pins should be always replaced and IMO, especially if the rocker assemblies are being replaced. Later!

Harvieux

TDI
Got all the parts in and the job is complete. She now runs like a fricken sewing machine. I use the Caterpilar camshaft and follower lubricant as opposed to the thicker VW grease. Works like a charm. Later!