www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old April 14th, 2008, 10:11   #76
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime 45.52, best 61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
having the TB and some brake work done next week at Olson's (not my first choice, but have 0 experience with any other dealer).
hey bill, welcome to the club. if you don't need the TB done today or this week... perhaps you could talk to a "TDI Guru". user DeafBug from MN comes down past omaha every now and then, and the KC TDI guys are pretty good. there is a thread about an upcoming GTG. if you are at 107k miles and you haven't had the TB changed before (which seems the most likely case) you should have it done ASAP. i had mine done by Corky's VW. i wasn't careful enough about nailing them down on the specific work done, i had the TB changed the first week i bought the car and didn't know enough to try and find a guru. i hope they did the whole job, but i'm not 100% positive. i've been alright for 40k miles, but i'll definitely be having a TDIClub member do my next TB job.

again, welcome and keep us updated on how things are going with your ride.
MrErlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 14:13   #77
Boiler84

Default Phaedrus Use Performance!

If you have to use the dealership, go to Performance. I haven't been to Olson's in awhile, but Performance treated me well recently with my 2004 PassaT Wagon. My car was a salvage and they weren't trying to run me around. Talk to Duane.

Boiler Up!
Boiler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 16:04   #78
vwsnaps

Howdy Omaha TDI's... I sold my 98 TDI last year and now i am looking for another one.. Anyone knows of any for sale let me know.

I am in lincoln and usually have a few VW's for sale. (gasers)

If i dont find a TDi in the next few weeks then im going to swap a 1.9 tdi into my 88 GLI 16v car...
vwsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 16:07   #79
vwsnaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler84
If you have to use the dealership, go to Performance. I haven't been to Olson's in awhile, but Performance treated me well recently with my 2004 PassaT Wagon. My car was a salvage and they weren't trying to run me around. Talk to Duane.
I would give Performance Service a thumb up...

But the sales staff a big thumb down.... 2 years ago i had 2005 TDi jetta. Wife hated it so i went to performance and they had 03 Gti 20th Gti.. they told me they would trade straight across.. so next day i went to do the deal and they receeded and tried getting another $3000 outta me... ***... The sales manager name was JIM and he was a dushbag.... (spelling of dushbag?)

I know Jeff in parts, Duane in service and Kyle is a tech there and would recommend there service dept... but question their sales staff..
Old April 15th, 2008, 16:21   #80
KS97Passat
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg max. (at 60-65mph)

It's always good to use proper spelling. I believe the word is "douchebag" and that must mean that he cleans feminine parts.
'97 B4: 195k mi., .658 5th, 57/63 mpg "best tank" before/after trans. mod. (hwy, 60-65 mph), new stock nozzles @ 148k, Upsolute, "mufflerectomy", add'l exh. flex-pipe, B'stone B381 low-rolling-res. tires, Cat filter, ScanGaugeII
KS97Passat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 16:24   #81
vwsnaps

[quote=KS97Passat]"douchebag" [quote]

Thanks, i dont think its in the scrable dictonary... but that is what he was...
Old April 15th, 2008, 20:11   #82
jumpn
Veteran Member

MrErlo, any word from the World Herald about your interview with them?
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:47   #83
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Jumpn,
The article will be running this Saturday.

Vwsnaps-Don't know of any TDI's currently for sale in the area, but I saw your old MKIII a few months ago and whoever bought it must have rearended someone. The front was a mess. Too bad, it was a good looking car.
Old April 16th, 2008, 16:35   #84
jumpn
Veteran Member

Cool, I'll be looking for it
Old April 16th, 2008, 19:50   #85
Phaedrus

TDI(s): 2005 Passat
Default Update on new TB and 100K service

Wow! I had to resort to my kid's college fund to finance the TB replacement and 100k service on my 2005 Passat TDI. I shelled out $2494.16 at SO for the TB assembly; TB, belts, serpentine, WP, rollers, tensioner, etc., and the fuel filter(s), pollen filter, other filters I'm sure, replace the windshield, new motor for R D window... and new brake pads, 2 discs and liners.

My favorite was the bulb (diod?) for the 'climate' panel, it was $2.98 and roughly $40 for the labor.

They did much better with keeping me informed of the status, and no $ surprises.

Are these normal prices, or did I get raked? It is like being in a new car. Oh, they have no clue what 507 spec is, they said no problem, but it was the 505.01 spec . I really wanted to switch to the 507 and see what happened.

Let me know when the next GTG is - maybe I'll buy some pizza or something...

oh, if you see me driving around the O, honk.

-bill
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 06:32   #86
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime 45.52, best 61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Wow! I had to resort to my kid's college fund to finance the TB replacement and 100k service on my 2005 Passat TDI. I shelled out $2494.16 at SO for the TB assembly; TB, belts, serpentine, WP, rollers, tensioner, etc., and the fuel filter(s), pollen filter, other filters I'm sure, replace the windshield, new motor for R D window... and new brake pads, 2 discs and liners.
TB prices for a PD-TDI kit $269, and parts usually match labor. the TB, serpentine, WP, rollers and tensioners are all uncluded in that, those are what people were referring to when they said "doing the complete job." so i hope SO didn't charge you extra for any of those parts, cuz that's total BS.

fuel filter for a PD is $25, and maybe... 15 mins of labor. i'm not totally familiar with the "pollen filter", in general there is an "air filter" and a "(carbon) cabin filter", $12.95 and $18.95 repsectively. also, maybe 5 mins of work each. if they did the oil change, you got a new oil filter, $9.

new windshield ~ $200, i'm unfamiliar with the rear window motor. rear brake pads, $60 + equal money to install (probably worth it unless you have a good floor jack and power tools IMO). not sure about costs for the discs/liners, maybe Midas would be able to quote you a price.

so the majority of the $'s in parts, and hours in labor was in the TB. personally, i wouldn't like to have shelled out $2500 but i've been driving with a crack in my windshield since i bought the car 40k miles ago. the TB was an absolute necesity, better to get it out of the way. the rest... up to you.

have you got an invoice we can look at? if you can scan that thing and get us a link we might be able to point out other things that snuck on there.
MrErlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:15   #87
Phaedrus

Default Scanning the TB invoice

Good idea, I'll scan the invoice tonight - its a horror movie in the making.

-Bill

"I TDI, therefore, I am"

Last edited by Phaedrus; April 17th, 2008 at 08:18.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:58   #88
Boiler84

Default I Agree on Performance Sales Staff

The youngsters try hard, but the sales leader wasn't listening! The parts department and the service department were very good. As in most dealerships, the sales staff don't measure up to the service department.

All in all, I still prefer to do any service I can manage on my own. Just look at what happened to Phaedrus with his adventure to Stan Olson's Ouch!

Boiler Up!
Boiler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:59   #89
Phaedrus

Question Any NB Autos FS in Omaha?

Is anyone aware of any NB TDI Autos for sale in the Omaha area? Prefer to keep it <$10K but also would like a 5spd auto
Prefer Silver variant or black - but could paint it I guess...

thanks!
Bill

"I TDI, therefore, I am"
Old April 18th, 2008, 12:39   #90
vwcampin
Veteran Member

I think I saw one in the paper at either Performance or Olsen, but it was a couple weeks ago and they usually don't last that long.