www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old March 22nd, 2008, 21:37   #61
jumpn
Veteran Member

Default KS97Passat

Yea, I had to trade it due to some family health issues. My Dad was needing transportation for radiation, and I couldn't fit his wheelchair in the Jetta. I still check this forum everyday, maybe I'll have a TDI again sometime.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 18:29   #62
Vhunter
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TDI - rarely under 50 MPG

Nuts, I completely spaced off this thread last week and forgot about the GTG. I would have liked to get to Omaha and check out some of the TDI's in the area!
I will try to watch a little more closely next time. I'd really like to see some good info on BioD and other fuel alternatives. I have to work alternateing weekends, so its a little hard to get to some of these GTG!
As for the guy looking for RC software to check, I have RC 3.1 and .205 injectors in my 99 A4 Jetta, along with G-60 clutch to hold it. It seems to be running "lean" lately, as I haven't been able to do a 'soot dump' on tailgaters lately.. Maybe its the new ULSD fuel, or something... I need to check things out with my VAG-com
one of these days to see whats going on.. maybe i'll need to do a "hammer mod" to the fuel pump!
Laters!
'87 Mercedes 300 SDL. (Sold)
'85 Mercedes 300 D - Now at home, All painted up and purdy!..
Vhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 15:15   #63
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: lifetime 45.52, best 61.18
Default OmahaBiodieselCoop

Vhunter,

sorry we missed you this past weekend, don't worry it wasn't much of a GTG anyway... only one other club member showed up to meet my brother and i, and there wasn't much work going on. we talked TDI's for a while, and i finally, at the end of winter (doh!), installed my TDIHeater. worked like a charm last night, i'm counting on it for these last few days of cold weather.

i'd say hold for a while on the hammer mod, that's a pretty drastic step. get a VagCom scan first and try timing/IQ adjustments before you go whacking parts with a hammer. i've considered the hammer mod myself, to reduce my idle shudder. hopefully i'll find a better way to clean up the problem.

i am planning another GTG, hopefully to do some Appleseed processor building or maybe even brewing in the next few weeks. i'll make sure to let you know plenty ahead of time, and i'm pretty sure i can even schedule so you can make it. my schedule is pretty flexible, i had listed April 12th in the past is that good for you or does April 19th better?

Coming Soon...
www.OmahaBiodieselCoop.org
MrErlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2008, 01:57   #64
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Could be better.... (See signature)
Default Which Dealership for Maintenance??

Hey Guys, I wanted to find out which dealership (in general) would you say is the better to have maintenance done? It is time for the 20k go round in my 2006.5 TDI DSG and the dealership I bought it used from (Williamson's Honda) is paying for it.

I live in Omaha but work in Lincoln so most things are more convenient to have done in Lincoln but I don't know the first about the service levels at Schworer VW. I also know nothing about the dealerships here in town so I'm hoping you all can lend some advice.

Also, in general, do you all take your cars in at the recommended maintenance levels and do your oil changes yourselves or do it all at the dealership? I plan to take my own oil to them (I'm going to pick up some Castrol SLXIII or I do believe the dealership has it as VW branded LLIII) anyway but if it's better to just do it at home in between dealer services, I'll do that.

Well thanks for any advice you can lend and I look forward to hearing back.
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:14   #65
vwcampin
Veteran Member

I know nothing about Schworer in Lincoln, but I would recommend Performance VW in Omaha over Stan Olsen. If you want to bring your own oil, I would say to make sure and speak with the Service Writer first. As to doing your own maintenance that is up to you really. I try to do all of my own, but I am about 120k past any warranty If you decide to do your own oil changes, make sure and keep receipts and document dates. That way you have proof of maintenance if you need to take your car in for warranty work. As for doing the oil changes, I highly recommend a Pella extractor. You can do a search on here for them.
Old March 28th, 2008, 08:39   #66
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrogers1
Hey Guys, I wanted to find out which dealership (in general) would you say is the better to have maintenance done?
i've never had any work done by a stealership in Omaha, but there are two options; Performance and Stan Olsen.

Quote:
Also, in general, do you all take your cars in at the recommended maintenance levels and do your oil changes yourselves or do it all at the dealership?
i bought mine at 97k miles, so i never had to worry about warranty or "recommended maintenance". i do all my own work, with the help of other club members.

Quote:
I plan to take my own oil to them (I'm going to pick up some Castrol SLXIII or I do believe the dealership has it as VW branded LLIII) anyway but if it's better to just do it at home in between dealer services, I'll do that.
oil changes are the #1 thing to do your self so you know it's done right. i use Elf 506.01 on 15k OCI (oil change interval) and have it tested by Blackstone Lab. no need to pay someone to do that simple job for you, takes 30 mins and almost zero tools/experience. i guess if your under warranty, you might consider having the stealership do that for you. no sense in risking warranty for no reason.
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:48   #67
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Default Thanks!

I'm going to do the stealership deal until I'm out of warranty and then I'm sure I can do everything else with the help of the fine folks in the Omaha TDI Forums group. (I have done quite a bit of wrenching so I'm sure I can handle most anything that comes up.)

I'm going to contact both Schorer and Performance about bringing my own oil to them and see what each says. I'm hoping someone has dealt with Schorer and posts but if no one speaks up over the weekend, I'll schedule at which ever lets me bring the oil to them.
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:07   #68
tdireader
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Haven't had much service done in Omaha.

Talk to omaha audi owners about olson and you will most likely avoid them.

Performance is alright. Although, they refused to fix a warranty issue three times. Got it fixed in another city on the first complaint.

Don't know much about Shorer other than they tried to sell me a car at sticker a few years ago.

Too bad williamson is gone.

Last edited by tdireader; March 29th, 2008 at 06:10.
tdireader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:25   #69
Boiler84

Default Performance VW

Duane appears to be upfront and straight-shooting. When I bought my TDI, it had a lighting issue in the front that they fixed the first time. Of course, they want to do all of your service for you. I suggest getting a Pela Oil Extractor and buying your own 505.01 oil and doing it yourself. When the TB is ready for a change, I am thinking of visiting WI and learning at the knee of a TDI expert! The dealership could be useful for electrical issues, but otherwise, for basic service issues like oil and filters, do it yourself. FWIW IMHO.

Boiler Up!
Boiler84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:30   #70
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Ok, I'm gonna take it to Schorers since they charge $30 less that Performance, are here in Lincoln (where I work) and have a shuttle service as well. I'll let them do the oil changes at 10k OCI since 95% of my miles are done on I80 (they do have the SLXIII so I'll get me some 507 spec oil and VW filter to boot) until I get out of warranty.

At that point, I'll evaluate the cost vs. benefits of having them do the oil changes as they only charge $60 to do it (I think) and I don't know that we can get SLXIII and filters for that much.

*Blackstone Lab testing - how much is it and what is the process to have it tested? I'd like to do a couple at 10k and then check a 15k to see the difference.

Thank you all, and I'll be sure to let you know if I end up with oil in the motor.
Old March 31st, 2008, 15:08   #71
MrErlo
Veteran Member

Default Blackstone lab testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrogers1
*Blackstone Lab testing - how much is it and what is the process to have it tested? I'd like to do a couple at 10k and then check a 15k to see the difference.
Blackstone Labs is pretty straight forward. just email them and tell them to send you a sampling container, and then mail it back to them. cost is ~$25, i can't remember exactly. have them send you a couple sampling conatiners at once, that way you always have one on hand when you need it. i've got 2 at my place now, one for my Jetta and one for my brother's Golf which are both due for changes probably next month. 506.01 will be going in, since there's 2 of us now, it's reasonable to get the 18L case rather than just buying individual bottles.

blackstone sends back a very comprehensive report, here's mine.
Old March 31st, 2008, 15:30   #72
MrErlo
Veteran Member

new thread started,

OmahaBiodieselCoop.org
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=208815

who all is ready to pay 2 months of dues up front?
Old April 13th, 2008, 16:39   #73
Phaedrus

TDI(s): 2005 Passat
Smile New Omaha Member

Hi, I joined TDIclub a few days ago, and TornadoRed turned me onto this Omaha thread. Bought a 2005 Passat TDI new, and now have 107k miles on it; having the TB and some brake work done next week at Olson's (not my first choice, but have 0 experience with any other dealer). I drive around 130miles per day, almost 98% highway (live in Harlan, IA - but work in the 'city') and easily hit 30-35K miles per year (obviously).

This is my third VW; my first was a plain GTI, but I'm a little big, so traded for a new 2002 Jetta 1.8T and had nothing but problems, so finally traded for the Passat TDI (not exactly logical, huh?).

I"m thinking of switching to the VW 507.00 spec using the Castrol LongLife. Will the dealer know what I'm talking about? Oh, I'm unfortunately, very non-mechanical.

-Bill
Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 18:11   #74
Mrrogers1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Hi, I joined TDIclub a few days ago, and TornadoRed turned me onto this Omaha thread. Bought a 2005 Passat TDI new, and now have 107k miles on it; having the TB and some brake work done next week at Olson's (not my first choice, but have 0 experience with any other dealer). I drive around 130miles per day, almost 98% highway (live in Harlan, IA - but work in the 'city') and easily hit 30-35K miles per year (obviously).

This is my third VW; my first was a plain GTI, but I'm a little big, so traded for a new 2002 Jetta 1.8T and had nothing but problems, so finally traded for the Passat TDI (not exactly logical, huh?).

I"m thinking of switching to the VW 507.00 spec using the Castrol LongLife. Will the dealer know what I'm talking about? Oh, I'm unfortunately, very non-mechanical.

-Bill

I jusgt had my 20k "check up" done at Schrower in Lincoln and when I set the appointment up, I told the I wanted the 507 spec VW Castrol SLX. They assured me they had the oil, turned out they only had the 505 AND I did have to seriously question them when I picked the car up.

They then told me they didn'tknow when they would get it and my reply was, "I can buy the VW 507 from Implex, weird how the dealer can't get it"

I will bring it to them for the next change, not taking chances and don't want to listen to excuses.

I recommend you talk to the service manager and even if he needs to confirm by looking at the bottle, confirm it's the 507.

Sad that our dealers don't even know about this stuff, being bottled for VW specially and all....
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:52   #75
vwcampin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus

-Bill
Bill, welcome to the club. I notice you are getting the TB done, by a dealership, and that dealership happens to be Stan Olsen

A few things to know upfront.
  • Dealerships normally do not know a lot about TDI's as they do not see/work on many.
  • Most on this site try to steer clear from dealerships in general.
  • Stan Olsen is known for poor service in Omaha.
  • Be very cautious when goign to a dealership for a TB job
It is very important that if you do have the dealership do the TB that they replace ALL of the necessary parts! I couldn't find a link to the exact parts for the PD engine, but see this link for an idea of what they should be replacing, it is for a MKIV Jetta http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=149273

Dealerships will try and cheap out and just replace the belt. It is very important that they replace the tensioners/rollers as well. Some of the bolts are stretch bolts and are one time use only.

That being said, I had my TB done by Performance as I worked it into the purchase price when I bought it. I had it in writing of what I wanted done, yet by the time it reached the service tech, the request was for belt only. Luckily for me, I knew the tech, and talked to him before the install, so he saw the error and made sure it was done right.

This is an important maintenance piece for you engine, so if Stan Olen is going to do this, really press them to make sure they do it right.