Best guess towing capacity new Jetta

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
I'm just looking ahead..

Selling my #5.000 boat and my HEMI Durango to make room for a 2009 Jetta. Does anyone have a guesstimate on what I will be able to tow with the new diesel Jetta?

Thanks

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
2006 model says 1000 lbs for TDI engine. No way to predict the future, but the suspension, chassis, and brakes are all the same seeing as it's the same bodyshell.

For what it's worth, I tow two motorcycles on a heavy-duty open trailer plus toolbox plus gear plus whatever, probably 1600 lbs total. It's fine, but I wouldn't want to pull much more without trailer brakes.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
^^ Probably extremely conservative. Worth checking on one of the European VW sites to see what the *car* is capable of.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Having either too much load or a bad trailer will *ruin your day*. Be very careful about overloading a modern car with a trailer!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
This topic came up before... there is somebody who tows a trailer with a Jetta and there is a Jetta on the trailer... to each his own.

That prompted me to post this picture....

Don't overload your ass.

Sturgeon467

TDI
2000 Jetta
Towing with a 2000 Jetta

Hi,
For what it's worth, I towed a home made trailer last summer about 5000 km along the east coast of the US and Canada with my 2000 TDI Jetta. Still got around 700km to a tank of fuel. (Better than the brand new Mazda 5 my buddy drove without trailer.) Trailer weight was 1460 lbs empty. Probably closer to 1700 full. I did this without trailer brakes but have added them since. Rutted highways and highwinds made it a little fun in New Brunswick. Stopping and starting on a hill in Halifax was the only problem we had.

Last edited:

ikendu

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Indigo Blue
I pull a very light weight camping trailer with my Golf (Alite 400).

But I've seen TDIs pulling much bigger loads.

I think one of the limitations that I've come to understand is the impact of front wheel drive. The drive wheels form a "pivot point" around which the weight of the towed object can cause instability. Rear drive locates that pivot point in the center of the total load, apparently a far more stable situation.

I love front wheel drive, but it is not ideal for maximum towing.

TDIs have plenty of torque for pulling, it is other factors that limit the total load. That 2009 engine is going to be loaded with power and torque but I doubt if total safe towing will increase because of it.

gcarper

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
DSG Transmission maybe the limiting factor

The transmission maybe the limiting factor. I am looking at a Yuppie Wagon for more cargo room - http://www.bestbuydealer.com/YUPPIE/YUPPIE%20WAGON%204%20FT%20WIDE%20MODELS.htm

I would be interested in comments - trailer weighs 460 LBS. Costs is steep at $1795. (little more than the sunroof on the sportswagon).

Description
Cargo Trailer - G.V.W. 2,000 lbs. - Color Options - Accessory Options
Cargo Trailer The Yuppie Wagon 4 FT. X 7 FT.
SPECIFICATIONS:
Main Frame Construction: 2" x 2" Angle Iron
Cross Member: 2" x 2" Angle Iron
Tongue Construction: 2" x 3" Removable Tubular
G.V.W: 2,000 lbs.
Trailer Empty Weight: 460 lbs. Approx.
Wheels & Tires: White: 480 x 12 5 Lug
Floor: 1/2 or 5/8" Pressure Treated Plywood
Coupler Size: 1-7/8" or 2"
Width Between Wheel Wells: 48"
Shell Construction: Lightweight Roto-Molded Polyethylene
Deck Height: 15" to 18"
Axle: 2000 lbs. 48 x 58 5 Lug Under Slung 20" Springs, or torsion axle.
Brakes: None
Door Opening Size: varies with rear door style. Usually 36 wide 42inches tall

Standard Features:
* Safety Chains
* Full Lighting Package
* 4 Prong Electrical Plug
* Removable Tongue Hitch
* Single Rear Door Side opening, w/ Lock Latch or Rear ramp gate rear door.
Base Colors:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Franko6 said:
This topic came up before... there is somebody who tows a trailer with a Jetta and there is a Jetta on the trailer... to each his own.
I have no idea who you're talking about:p

I don't know what the 09 will be capable of, but a small trailer less than 2000 lbs shouldn't be out of the question, especially with a manual trans..

I've had a real hard time locating ANY kind of trailer brakes to fit on the small 2000lb axle... Smallest brake systems I can find are for the 3500lb axles.. Lately I've only been pulling smaller stuff with the Jetta (bike trailer up to a civic on the dolly).. I use the Blazer with the car trailer for the heavier stuff.. FWIW the TDI has more snot going up the mountain, but the big diesel handles the weight better.. Straight line stopping power is about the same with either one.. Believe it or not I actually get brake fade with the truck before the Jetta:rolleyes:...

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
around here, trailer brakes are required for loads over 1500lb.

The European capabilities of the car will be immaterial if the vehicle is in an accident and the load exceeds the US specification. Insurance will not cover the damage.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Around here there's 2 conditions that require brakes...
1. The empty weight of the trailer is over 1000lbs
OR
2. The GVW of the trailer is 3000lbs or more...

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
FWIW...we need a TDI Tiguan! Literature claims every one is rated 2200 lbs towing capacity! (Literature is for the 2.0 gasser)

portfleet

Upper Peninsula of Michigan - Atlantic Mine
TDI
2004 Jetta A4 PD
I tow my enclosed Aluma AE46 trailer quite a bit. Usually about 1000lb. total weight and get 40mpg. May be smaller than you want but the shorter height really reduces wind drag. Price is steep, $2000 range, but 100% aluminum construction, excellent warranty, 300lb. empty weight, 1250lb. gross, torsion axles, led lights.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
MKIVs and MKVs are rated for 1800kg down a 12% slope with trailer brakes, 2200kg down a 7% slope with trailer brakes. I don't remember complete, but I think without trailer brakes they limited them to 1200 kg. The problem in the states is finding a hitch that will work. I'd recommend a drawtight off of www.etrailer.com with some homemade braces to reinforce the thing.

I towed our 3500 lb. boat (with trailer, no brakes) with my '98 A3 a few times, although that was a bit much for the car. I did tow 2800 lbs. of gravel (with 500 lb. trailer) many times without issues. FWIW, towing the boat was the only time I was able to get the brakes to fade in that car. (Front disc with AKEBONO ceramics, rear drums, straight and level without going over 40 MPH). Most of the brake upgrade kits I sell go to racers as well as those who tow. I'd strongly recommend upgrading the brakes if you plan on towing much over 1000 lbs. very often.
-BB

TOYO

TDI
2000 jetta gls
Suspension

I am thinking of putting a trailer hitch on my 00 TDI Jetta. No mods or upgrades all orig. I wonder if I need to plan on beefing up the rear springs or struts or will the car be ok? 125K on manuel transmission should I change to a diffefrent trans fluid weight or keep the original? emerysilver@yahoo.com

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
Looking in the manual for my Passat, they specify the following limits for the 90bhp engine:
With Brakes
12% gradient: 1500kg
8% gradient: 1700kg
Without brakes
12% gradient: 650kg
(no figure quoted for 8%)

No specification is given for the nose weight, other than to stay within the limits of the towbar and hitch. Also, stay within the permissable load for the rear axle.

I'd imagine the Jetta limits are going to be similar, given the power of the engine. The limits for your car should be published in the technical data section of your owner's manual in any case. It's also important to pay attention to local regulations regarding towing.