www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old February 14th, 2008, 18:54   #1
Gretta_the_Jetta

Fuel Economy: 49/44/39
Post In-Tank Fuel Pump Replacement "How To" Article

All,

Last weekend I undertook the fuel pump swap on my 2004 A4 Jetta. My in-tank fuel pump was on the way out and it was time to replace it. I've read a bunch about the procedure on the forums and found the posts extremely helpful. I figured I won't be the last to go through this so I decided to document the swap with pictures and create a "How To" PDF. I hope others will find it useful. If there are any suggestions/improvements I can make, let me know and I will update it.

This site and community has and continues to be extremely helpful to me since I joined the TDI clan back in late 2003. I hope others will find this information useful. Enjoy!

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/Fue...2004_Jetta.pdf
GLS, Leather/Sun Roof/ESP
VAG-Com Available (key-usb)
Hidden Hitch
Gretta_the_Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 19:07   #2
osesu96
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.2 / 45.8 / 43.2

Very nice write-up. Glad to see someone close by has tackled this potential issue just in case I need supervision. So far so good on the pump but you never know.
Old February 14th, 2008, 19:31   #3
Nocky
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50-43

I just saw the TV show (How It's Made) and they were building fuel pumps Cool
Nocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:51   #4
Gretta_the_Jetta

Smile

Osesu96 - If you need a hand when the time comes, let me know. Id be happy to assist. It's a pretty straight forward swap out. Hopefully you can avoud the 250 expense though.

Nocky - Yeah I saw that episode a few weeks back. It was interesting that as I toook apart the pump it looked just like what they did on the show...only in reverse and a little more dirty. :-)
Hidden Hitch
Old February 16th, 2008, 21:51   #5
Hyates
Veteran Member

Excellent write-up! I missed your post on this when I replaced my pump today! I could have saved some time by using your write-up as I tried to install the gasket. Oh well..

Harry.
Old February 20th, 2008, 19:07   #6
Gretta_the_Jetta

Hyates,

No worries mate. At least you were able to fix the problem yourself. My dealer wanted to charge me $550US for the pump replacements. Thanks to Kerma, $225 and 1 hour and I was done.

I had the same challenges you did with the gasket. Once you do it once though it's a piece of cake after that. If I had to do it again, I could probably pull it off in 15 minutes on the side of the road somewhere.

My 04 was also one fo the first in the US. It was built in late September and I took delivery in October of 2003. Nice to hear that you experienced the exact same symptoms I did and were lucky enough that it did not fail without warning like others have noted.

Lets hope we get more than 40 or 50K miles out of the new ones. Even though it's a DIY job, I don't think these things should fail and any money saved is money in the bank.
Hidden Hitch
Old December 18th, 2012, 15:58   #7
capnmoe

TDI(s): jetta 1.8
Thumbs up Thanks.

Excellent write up and presentation. We need more like this.

Thanks

Capn Moe
capnmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2012, 16:12   #8
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Nice PDF. I added it to the How-To sticky thread in TDI 101.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 08:52   #9
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretta_the_Jetta View Post
Hyates,

No worries mate. At least you were able to fix the problem yourself. My dealer wanted to charge me $550US for the pump replacements. Thanks to Kerma, $225 and 1 hour and I was done.

I had the same challenges you did with the gasket. Once you do it once though it's a piece of cake after that. If I had to do it again, I could probably pull it off in 15 minutes on the side of the road somewhere.

My 04 was also one fo the first in the US. It was built in late September and I took delivery in October of 2003. Nice to hear that you experienced the exact same symptoms I did and were lucky enough that it did not fail without warning like others have noted.

Lets hope we get more than 40 or 50K miles out of the new ones. Even though it's a DIY job, I don't think these things should fail and any money saved is money in the bank.
Your '04 is older than mine. Mine was built in October 2003 and I bought it in November 2003. My lift pump failed at 46,000 miles and VW repalced it under warranty. The VW dealer sourced replacement pump is the same grey-top VDO pump the aftermarket vendors sell, but the VW logo and part numbers are on the dealer sourced pump. I bought a VDO spare from a vendor. It's the same pump that the dealer installed, less the VW logo and part number!

--Nate
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:36   #10
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser
Thumbs up

Great write up Drew. Thanks for sharing.
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:12   #11
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

This is an excellent write-up. My biggest nuisance was the rigid fuel lines getting in the way, but otherwise pretty straight forward. Someone here does sell the Bosch replacement pump motors if anybody cares to take apart their old pump assembly.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote