Just turned 110,000 miles in my 06 TDI

chuckiet3

TDI
2006 PKG 2 DSG, 2002, 1998
New to the site and would like to tell about my first 110,000 miles in my TDI.

Bought car new 1/3/06
PKG 2 w/DSG

Used amsoil since draining the VW oil at 5,000 miles.
Change it every 25,000 miles
Changed fuel filter every 20,000
Dealer replaced starter at 45,000 due to squealing noise.
New tires at 52,000 miles
Windshield washer hose broke at 65,000, fixed it with a small piece of larger hose fit tight over the crappy plastic original where it broke.
New Timing Belt at 100,000 along with serpentine belt and new metal impeller water pump.
Transmission fluid change at 100,000 by dealer, this was the worst experience I have had since I owned the car. Dealer broke my engine cover, vaccuum hose on the air box top, left bolts missing from my skidplate, and spilled Tranny fluid everywhere near the airbox and cleaned none of it up. When questioned about it said they had spilled a little fluid, but broke nothing. Also did the service recall on the headlights after i told them explicitly that i did NOT want it done. Concourse VW in Milwaukee is a joke and I would never go there again. I will buy the DSG Fluid change tools and just do it myself next time.
105,000-106,000 both headlamps burned out at this point.

So far its been a great car.

I look forward to searching the site for more info.

Charlie

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Howdy, Chuck! Welcome aboard. Can you describe your business relationship with AMSOIL?

Thanks.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
you do realize 25k OCI is way over the recommended (albeit conservative) 10k intervals, even with a VW certified 505.01 or better oil? take some pics of the cam please :D it's not difficult to do.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Welcome!

Can you describe your thought process behind 25,000 mile oil changes and 100,000 mile DSG fluid changes?

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Hi Charlie. Glad to see the cars still running good.I have a question for you. Were there any DSG fluid changes done before the 100,000 mark?

chuckiet3

TDI
The DSG was first serviced at 100k. I saw that the recommended service is every 40k on this site, and I need to look in my owners manual to make sure, but i thought it was longer. The oil was changed in my car every 10k with amsoil during the warranty (till 60k) just to make sure there was no issues with the VW warranty, then I have increased it to 25k since then. My family has 4 TDI jettas and we do this with all of them. They get a filter change at 12,500 and the oil changed at 25k. I was looking at the amsoil site and could not find the 25k interval stuff, but i know that this was the interval, and thus why we were changing it at 25k. I will be sending some oil onto amsoil for an analysis and can report back on that. We run amsoil in all our cars, trucks, snowmobiles, boats, lawnmowers, cutoff and chainsaws, mixers, forklifts, skid loaders..... and always have been happy with the quality and extended oil change intervals. My father is a dealer, but only sells to us and a few friends for the sake of convienience. I think it makes sense when I put so many miles on the car a year.

chuckiet3

TDI
I forgot to add that when I contacted the dealer to find out how much a DSG fluid change was they said it was not recommended till 100k, and that is when i first saw on this site that it is recommended every 40k.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Amsoil does in fact endorse 25K intervals. You can't find it on the oil pages cuz they endorse it for all of them.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Instead of taking AMSOIL's word on 25,000 mile oil changes for all of their oil in any vehicle, you should do an oil analysis to determine the proper oil change interval. Every vehicle is different, and issuing a blanket statement that says "25,000 mile extended oil change interval" does a disservice to people who truly seek unparalleled lubrication and protection (which, I assume, is why you're running AMSOIL in the first place).

Also, the VW dealers don't like doing DSG fluid changes because they take forever, and if they change it late, your transmission won't last as long, and they can make money selling you a replacement transmission.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
Instead of taking AMSOIL's word on 25,000 mile oil changes for all of their oil in any vehicle, you should do an oil analysis to determine the proper oil change interval. Every vehicle is different, and issuing a blanket statement that says "25,000 mile extended oil change interval" does a disservice to people who truly seek unparalleled lubrication and protection (which, I assume, is why you're running AMSOIL in the first place).

Also, the VW dealers don't like doing DSG fluid changes because they take forever, and if they change it late, your transmission won't last as long, and they can make money selling you a replacement transmission.
Hey, he's already beat some on here that have changed the fluid on time. Some that haven't had a chance to change cuz they never got to 40K!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
chuckiet3

Amsoil does not make a 25k oil for the TDI PD - its a 10k and AFL is the only oil Amsoil will support use ina PD and the OCi is what VW calls for, last time I read it. What are you using, I cant wait to see your UOA. I used AFL once and got good results but it was a 5k OCI.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Chuck sorry to ride the bandwagon, I try to make it a point to use someone else's OA other then the manufacturer of the oil, or at least to use an independent OA business.

I use the Scheaffers oil, but I do not use them for OA. I just dont think its a good idea to use the same.

I am using a 20000 OCI, however i use some pretty good oil ELF 506.01.

Hey if you get an independent OA company to give you the blessing on the Amsoil, Then you did good, You cant argue with an OA.

Good Luck with it..

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Wow! And what about the undercarriage? Have you ever replaced silentblocks, bearings (front/rear) or brake rotors? If yes then at what mileage?

chuckiet3

TDI
Thanks to everyone for their input. I truly do belive that the only way to find out information about anything is talking to the people that deal with it everyday, and comparing that to your own findings.

I will be doing oil analysis at every 5k during this oil change to see what it brings me. I do belive amsoil is a high quality oil based on past useage, and I will now attempt to compare my beliefs to the actual hard data. Maybe i will find something to help us all out. I do belive the 25k oil change interval came from other AMSOIL diesel oil used in our other jetta diesels (not PD 505.01) and me assuming it was the same for this new oil. I have told my dad of this predicament and he is going to ask the amsoil rep about it.

The brakes are originals as well as the bearings, and I'm not sure what silent blocks are, but I have not replaced anything besides the tires, starter, windshield wipers, filters, and headlights as far as parts.
90-95% of my driving is on the highway, which would contribute to the high miles and original brakes.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm right behind you, mine has just over 158,000 km (but I've had mine a couple months longer).

I had a bad fuel temp sensor replaced under warranty, and I had to fiddle with the sunroof to get rid of a squeak that the dealer couldn't fix. Original tires lasted until 142,000 km but they were seriously done at that point. Aside from that, mine has had nothing but scheduled maintenance by the book. (FWIW re engine oil, I use Elf Excelium DID 5w40 changed every 16,000 km and I've not bothered with oil analysis.)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
LOL. We bought our 06 at about the same time, but we've only got about 18k on it.... LOL
My 01 has 190k though. :)

Runaway_TDI

Wanderin' between Sobieski, WI and Sundance, WY
TDI
"06" Jetta
Bought mine new July 06 and will pass the 90K mile mark this week. Used only Elf oil in it every 10K, change fuel filter @ 30K:eek: (I know 20K), found out about the 40K change interval on this site(can't believe I missed it in OM), will not have it changed until 100K when I take it in for timing belt. Original brakes, only problem I have had with it is the driver side airbag was replace under warranty @ about 10K. I do have an oil leak that started after the last oil change, will be able to look at it this weekend when I service it again. Been a good car, but having to special order oil for it is a PITA!:mad:

JTDixon4520

TDI
2006 Jetta, Package 2
Didn't even get to a trans fluid change!

dhdenney said:
Hey, he's already beat some on here that have changed the fluid on time. Some that haven't had a chance to change cuz they never got to 40K!

That's certainly my case! My transmission just quit at 36K! For all the trouble and aggravation it's caused me, I would have gladly paid the $450 or whatever to change the fluid instead of going through a throttle body change and subsequent transmission replacement! I hope they can get the bugs worked out of the DSG to where they're reliable and I'm not worrying about when it's going to quit again. I am; however, happy to hear of the dependability of your car and will check out Amsoil. I've used the Pentosynth in the past and changed every 10K as recommended in the owner's manual.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JTDixon4520 said:
That's certainly my case! My transmission just quit at 36K! For all the trouble and aggravation it's caused me, I would have gladly paid the $450 or whatever to change the fluid instead of going through a throttle body change and subsequent transmission replacement! I hope they can get the bugs worked out of the DSG to where they're reliable and I'm not worrying about when it's going to quit again. I am; however, happy to hear of the dependability of your car and will check out Amsoil. I've used the Pentosynth in the past and changed every 10K as recommended in the owner's manual.
My car has been fairly dependable. However I abandoned Amsoil at 50K. My iron just wouldn't go down. I realize every car is different but I felt it could do better.

Herkypilot

TDI
'14 Passat TDI SE w/DSG
I think I'm going to stick with the dealer oil for now. After you tack on the shipping, it works out to be the same price. The fuel filter is a good bit cheaper on impex though. I just recently found out that VW has switched from the TXT to Castrol SLX Pro OE 5W-30 in 1 Qt bottles. Yes it does have the 505.01 spec on the back - that's the first thing I checked.;) It's just easier to get the oil there and forget about it.

Herkypilot

jraydblE

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Hello Chuck, I have an '06 w/ 60k miles. Having the oil changed at the dealer and they want to replace the brake fluid and clean the fuel injectors. I haven't seen any maintenance for cleaning injectors on TDICLUB, but wanted to know if you have done this before you hit 100k miles? Are you planning to do this if you haven't already? Thanks for sharing,

Joe

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wanna see his UOA - 25k on any - any 505.01 is pressing your luck. He has to have numbers around 160 Fe.

chuckiet3

TDI
DMF came apart last friday and ground its way into the trans... not good.
Trans internals are good, just the "bellhousing" piece is trash, along with the DMF.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
chuckiet3 said:
DMF came apart last friday and ground its way into the trans... not good.
Trans internals are good, just the "bellhousing" piece is trash, along with the DMF.
can it be repaired by welding?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
can you give us any details - was it during acceleration - deceleration - cruising at speed what.

did you hear anything earlier that you now realize was the begining of disentegration.

Also you could really help if you tell us the code and date of manufacture. The code is in manual and trunk sticker and the date is on the top of trans. its a 4 part xxx/xx/xx/xx

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Chuck, sorry to hear about your transmission. I hope that the repair goes well for you.

I would like to throw in a Stavely oil sample. I would buy it, you pull the sample at the same time as your Amsoil sample and you just fill out the paper and send put it in the mail.

I am pretty much ambivilant about Amsoil, but I would like to compare samples at whatever your next 5000 mile oil sample interval is.

I just think it would be interesting to compare. Maybe someone would like to throw in a Blackstone sample?

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckiet3

TDI
The car date of manufacture is 12/13/05... The trans is at the dealer, so I cannot get the date of manufacture right now.

I was on the highway (65 mph) and got off the exit ramp and thats when I heard the noise. It still drove, just made a horrid noise that was much more noticable at slower speeds.

Past issues that may have led to this problem:
The car had a slight vibration at idle, and I found a broken driver side motor mount. I had that fixed, and the slight vibration had reduced, but I would not say it was gone. I had the slight squeal at idle around 50,000, and the dealer replaced the starter, saying that was the problem. Looking back maybe that was the start of the DMF problem that reared its ugly head at 114,000 plus

I think I will start a thread for anyone that has had a DMF fail so that I at least have that info to show VW when the time comes to pay the bill. The dealer has been very helpful and informational on this problem. They said its the first one on an automatic that they have seen. They did admit trouble with the manual cars though.

FYI-Cost of DMF failure
Trans- $4000
DMF-$800
Fluid for trans-$150
6 hours labor to take the trans out, and reinstall @ $130/hr

Charlie