VW Pickup?

fastfhiveoh

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I can't be the only person that wonders this. Why doesn't VW bring back the VW pickup. Like the one based on the old Rabbits. I would kill for a pickup based off of the Jetta. I would take out two if it had a TDI motor. I mean, who wouldn't want a small truck that got 40-50mpg? I'm almost tempted to find an old rabbit truck and restore it.

Anyone else ever wondered the same?

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
In some parts of the world it's called the Saveiro.

If they were to sell it here with a TDI, I'd drop my Jetta in a heartbeat.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Looks like they solved my complaint on my old Rabbit pickup, it just needed about 3 more inches of cab space.

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (wife's)
I just heard it recently, either on Autoweek or from Jacoby, that there will be no VW pickup for the US. I agree, it would kill the market to put out a 40 mpg compact pickup, but it won't happen in the foreseable (sp) future.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Kill what market? Some other pickup market? Certainly not VWs own, as it would cannibalize very little of their own market share, and win back some that need a small pickup and therefore do not buy a strictly passenger car.

The rationale could only be that VW does not perceive this to be a market large enough to justify the costs of adding another vehicle type to their product mix. There would be significant costs attached to doing the emmissions and safety certifications for this car/truck as well as the costs of parts inventory and mechanic training.

Personally, I'd figure the added costs would be relatively low, since they already have the vehicle engineered and in production elsewhere, and I'd bet there's a huge percentage of parts in the thing that are shared amongst current platforms that are already sold here. But hey, I'm just a man, so what do I know?

twigless

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed, 2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (wife's)
Sorry, my "kill" slang was meaning that it will dominate--wipe out the competition with a compact truck that gets that kind of economy.
And yeah, to break even (after certification & safety tests, etc) they'd need to sell craploads of trucks.
Maybe now that we're getting a US production plant, we'll be able to build some more models.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
twigless said:
And yeah, to break even (after certification & safety tests, etc) they'd need to sell craploads of trucks.
Actually, I don't think it would be that bad (3rd paragraph). I was just saying that probably VW does. Or maybe they just don't think the market is there.

twigless said:
...Maybe now that we're getting a US production plant, we'll be able to build some more models.
That might be the case. I do not know details, but there might be an advantage duty/tariff wise if parts, rather than completely assembled vehicles, are imported.

In the past, Subaru brought in their Brat with 2 seats in the bed so they could pretend it was a car. They got much better tariff treatment that way. If that schedule is still in effect, then VW might be afraid of the very high tariffs on trucks. But for that instance also, a domestic assembly plant might be just what they need.

Time will tell as far as what we end up with.

jimmer2880

TDI
2002 Jetta Auto
I for one would be buying one as soon as I could afford a used one. I have been chomping at the bit for a diesel mini-pickup for years. I finally "settled" for a Jetta TDI. I am actually glad I got the Jetta. And, at this point (only had the Jetta for 2 weeks), would be very hard to pry away from my wife. But, there would be no doubt what the next vehicle would be in our family.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Ever notice that, except for VW, there has NEVER been a car-based pickup or mini-truck pickup from any European manufacturer in this market? Yes, the odd very commercial truck made it in (I think you can get a Sprinter dropside, but don't know if it comes from the factory that way or is upfitter-built from a C&C).

Once upon a time, long, long ago, der Krauts got all pithy about chickens being dumped on their market from the US, and they in turn imposed a punitive duty ("the Chicken Tax" in VW vernacular), and our good free-trading 'Murican neighbours countered with a duty/tax on pickups - thus the rarity and expense of Euro pickups (or Deutsche ones, not sure which).

I don't know if the taxes are still there, but they have never felt particularly welcome in our market. Pity.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Pat Dolan said:
Ever notice that, except for VW, there has NEVER been a car-based pickup or mini-truck pickup from any European manufacturer in this market? Yes, the odd very commercial truck made it in (I think you can get a Sprinter dropside, but don't know if it comes from the factory that way or is upfitter-built from a C&C).

Once upon a time, long, long ago, der Krauts got all pithy about chickens being dumped on their market from the US, and they in turn imposed a punitive duty ("the Chicken Tax" in VW vernacular), and our good free-trading 'Murican neighbours countered with a duty/tax on pickups - thus the rarity and expense of Euro pickups (or Deutsche ones, not sure which).

I don't know if the taxes are still there, but they have never felt particularly welcome in our market. Pity.
__. Pat, actually the "chicken war" duty applied (at a rate of 25% -- which is a killer import duty) to all "light duty vehicles manufactured for the carriage of goods". But a "chassis cab" is considered in Customs law as an incomplete vehicle and thus by definition don't fit into the duty rate category. So, the Japanese manufacturers didn't build the beds onto Toyota, Nissan, "Chevy LUV" (really Isuzu), onto their pickups, imported them as "chassis cabs" and then imported the pickup beds separately and installed them at the port. Thus the chassis cab was imported but the "light duty vehicle for the transport of goods" was considered US-assembled (the duty only applies at import).

__. The US Customs policy was "if it's got a pickup bed, it's a 'vehicle for the transport of goods'". Subaru specifically made the "BRAT" (Bi-Drive Recreational All-Terrain Transporter - if that doesn't turn your stomach too much) with two rear facing seats in the pickup bed installed in a way that pretty much all of the bed was taken up with those seats. They even had "anti-tamper" bolts so the seats couldn't be considered convertible. Then Subaru went to US Customs and asked for a special ruling -- Customs ruled that they had demonstrated that that vehicle had been made "for the transport of persons" (three in the cab and two in the bed) and thus wasn't in the duty.

__. Since the "Chicken War" duty had been written to specifically target VW's pickups - like the one pictured above - Customs made it clear that they'd allow the Japanese "chassis-cab" dodge and the Subaru special ruling but that VW had better not ask for anything because they WOULD NOT get it.

__. The "chicken duty" was actually Common Market tarriff so a product was picked from each country then a member of the Common Market (this was the Kennedy Administration). VW's pickups were chosen as a target for Germany (there were also French wines, etc.) When I worked at Land Rover, we had to sell only hardtops for a long time. Then US Customs got tired of people trying to fudge the regs by doing things like the Subaru and asking for special treatment. So about 1995, they made a ruling that if it has seats in the back and the manufacturer designates it as a "vehicle for the carriage of persons", then it's a passenger vehicle and the duty doesn't apply. Any manufacturer was allowed to make these determinations except for VW.

__. Ain't effin' politics wonderful?????

osesu96

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI - Platinum Gray
So would any of the above "screw job" regulations apply if the trucks were built here?

Just curious.

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
We have been swamped since our company was started. Our trucks get over 35mpg hwy and have tons of power. It's not for everyone I admit, but this proves there is a market for a small compact turbo diesel 4x4. -Todd

www.dieseltoyz.com

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
osesu96 said:
So would any of the above "screw job" regulations apply if the trucks were built here?

Just curious.
First, many thanks for Mr. G. filling in the blanks on the Chicken Tax.

As to the "built here" question, I believe all of the Rabbit pickups came from Westmoreland PA plant, thus US built and not taxed.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
could they ship the trucks in w/out motor and pop it in here to beat a tax?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
osesu96 said:

Just curious.
__. Nope, they're *import* regulations and duties. Note that it would have been legal to import those neat VW pickups (like the one pictured above*) in the 1960's, they would have just had to have paid a 25% duty and that would have had to have increased down the food chain and it would have made the customer price VERY high.

(*A friend of mine in Florida had one -- one of the few imported before the "chicken tax" tariff -- and I droolled over that thing in the late '60's. But I'm pretty sure that the body was "carrosserie-built" [maybe even by Karman????] like the old Beetle convertibles and they rusted to piles or rust flakes in no time. But they sure were sweet.)

Last edited:

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
a quad cab short box TDI would be great,with 4motion.....kinda like the Subaru Baha(up to '06)

Last edited:

Don C

TDI
'09 JSW manual/silver, pano roof/17" Avignons, iPod/protection kit, Driving Lights
Are these trucks available in Mexico? Could they be imported under NAFTA?

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
screw vw they dont want to send one, mahindra is scheduling one for 2010 4wd diesel if its like my tractor it will be mitsubishi powered. This chicken tax is just that chicken to send one here hear me vw buck buck buck.

gus54rz

TDI
2002 beetle TDI automatic
if anyone does it , it will be japan,,, VW has no commensence and ford and Gm are just as clueless , The Results of a Higher Education,, WE NEED A RANGER SIZE DIESEL PICKUP. HONDA ?

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
there was a diesel ranger in the 80's....not many....a buddy had a ton of kms on one

curtains21

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 jetta tdi 5 speed manual
I've been thinking about for a number of years about putting a tdi engine in one of my dodge rampages. Or possibly cutting off the back of an old turbo diesel jetta and putting the pickup box from one of my parts rampages on it. Sorry I know completely random, just thought I would share some of my creativity.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
I have been wanting a Saviero for a few years now, ever since I saw a picture of one. It is the nicest VW pickup I have ever seen and would be perfect for my usage, especially with a TDI.

Teejay

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Platinum Grey
I've been tossing around the idea of getting an '82 diesel rabbit pickup and doing a veggie conversion for a while now, but man, the Saviero is nice.. I wonder how hard it'd be to import it to Canada with a TDI.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Teejay said:
I've been tossing around the idea of getting an '82 diesel rabbit pickup and doing a veggie conversion for a while now.
...had the pickup for over 23 years. With the diesel price per gallon passing thru the 5 buck mark, the veggie conversion (frequent trips to McDonald's?) sounds far more attractive with each passing day.........
best, ez....

Teejay

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Platinum Grey
Diesel's been 1.40 per Litre around here (somewhere around 5.60/gallon) for a while now. its depressing!