www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

View Poll Results: B5.5 Oil Pump Chain
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain has not been an issue yet 77 22.19%
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain I think is making noise 24 6.92%
My 2004 B5.5 pump chain has failed! 5 1.44%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has not been an issue yet 164 47.26%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain I think is making noise 54 15.56%
My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has failed! 26 7.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 27th, 2008, 21:22   #1
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)
Default Oil Pump chain survey

Lets ask some serious questions about this Pump chain thing in order to gain sanity and information about this situation. Lets find out which cars have the more frequent issues.

Lets hope this is not a massive problem. But if it is VW should pony up!

Last edited by leicaman; January 28th, 2008 at 06:31.
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:10   #2
OH3Hoser
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

I voted failed. Since it was diagnosed and replaced prior to complete failure.
OH3Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:45   #3
PlaneCrazy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone...

So far one failure out of 28 reports. OH3Hoser, what was the mileage on your car at diagnosis? Mine has not been an issue yet, so far 145,000 km on the clock. So I voted 2005, not an issue yet.

Hey I see you have a B6 wagon too! How do you like it? Manual or automatic? I just installed OEM projector fogs on mine (didn't come standard in 2007), and reprogrammed the DRLs to work through the fogs with my VAG-COM. Mine's a manual. What's your fuel consumption?
'16 Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, '94 Marinoni Special/Campy Record
PlaneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 17:09   #4
volkswagendude
Veteran Member

Approaching 120000km here. Engine running smoother now, than when I first bought it. If this car can keep up as it has been doing up until now, all the way and past 200000km, it will be a winner in my books. I'm holding my breath
volkswagendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 17:58   #5
OH3Hoser
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
So far one failure out of 28 reports. OH3Hoser, what was the mileage on your car at diagnosis? Mine has not been an issue yet, so far 145,000 km on the clock. So I voted 2005, not an issue yet.

Hey I see you have a B6 wagon too! How do you like it? Manual or automatic? I just installed OEM projector fogs on mine (didn't come standard in 2007), and reprogrammed the DRLs to work through the fogs with my VAG-COM. Mine's a manual. What's your fuel consumption?
Approx 90,000km, but that car was a lemon.

B6 is the replacement, is automatic. The car has only been driven 2000km so far since we bought it. Too early to comment on mileage, other than the fact that it is no where close to the TDI. Average 10L/100km but that is mostly city so far.
OH3Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 18:15   #6
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Audi/TDI x 2
Fuel Economy: 50-60mpg HWY, depending on speed and wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
So far one failure out of 28 reports. ...
Lets not forget the recent broken pump chain on this link..has he voted?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=202080
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=415533
TDIsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:55   #7
auntulna
Veteran Member

Wow, what a horror story. These two threads can give one something to worry about. If this is going to happen more, it will be after warranty is over. Extended warranty maybe a good idea?

If you replace the chain, will it do the same thing as the first one? Many questions, no answers.
auntulna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:37   #8
leicaman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Much better than the average car... :o)

auntulna said, "Wow, what a horror story. These two threads can give one something to worry about. If this is going to happen more, it will be after warranty is over. Extended warranty maybe a good idea?"

Yes a horror story. Now the real question is has anyone been able to get VW to PAY FOR IT. I think what VW should do is clearly extend the warranty to say a nice number like 200000 miles............................................. .............
.................................................. ......................of course its a dream...

Last edited by leicaman; February 22nd, 2008 at 17:49.
leicaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:03   #9
bigEZ
Veteran Member

well, i have 42k miles, and last weekend when i did my tranny fluid change, i noticed the oil pan was coated with oil, above and to the back was coated with oil and the intercooler pipe was coated with oil. i thought the last was possibly the source of the leak, with exces oil getting out and the blow-by coating the rest of the under carriage from just driving around.

i wiped everything down and am going to check it out again soon to see if the coating has reappeared. with the info from these threads, though, i think i am going to point my dealer in that direction and tell them to check it out good to see if it needs to be replaced. i haven't noticed any new vibrations or noise, though, so the oil pump chain may not be the culprit.

i actually loosened a little and retightened the drain plug b/c i thought this might be an issue too. it seemed like it might not be in there all the way tight (i don't know why i thought this, but i did it anyway). i've always done my oil changes topside, so it shouldn't be an issue with a stipped or loose plug, but you never know.
bigEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:33   #10
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

Yeup, I just now voted.

If you read that thread you'd see the history. If it's making odd noises, or rattling, or leaking, take it in and don't leave without insisting it's replaced.

Last edited by jcaimhigher; February 1st, 2008 at 14:00.
jcaimhigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:26   #11
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member

Just wanted to point a few things related to this survey. The fact that people are having premature wear of pump chain/balance shaft drive does not show up in the results. After reviewing the posts several times, this is what I see:

briguy66 --------- 2005, 151K, had to replace chain
OH3Hoser -------- 2005, 95K, had to replace chain
Whitehouseauto -- 200?, 95K, loose chain - I assume replaced
JCaimhigher ------ 2005, 65K, complete failure
Bookworm -------- 2005, ?K , replaced chain and hex drive

If Whitehouseauto is a 2005, that is a problem with 5 out of 32 for the 2005's, none for the 2004's. Thats would be 15.6% of 2005's, ranging from 65K to 151K.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 13:00   #12
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

What I should point out is that my problems BEGAN at 40k!! The dealer replaced the balance shaft/oil pump pulley/gear/whatever and the chain guides were toast.

My PERSONAL opinion is that it's the chain guides that are failing. Mine disentegrated to pieces when main lunched. Now, that being said, the chain should have been replaced when they did all this work at 40k and that is my beef with them right now. If the chain was stretched (yes, they stretch after time if they aren't good chains) then it would have caused the damage to the tensioners too.

I can take pics of the pieces but id won't help you guys.

The tensioner is amber-poly plastic. I'm sure you've seen it on other tensioners and engine parts. The chain rides on this. It does wear, without a doubt. Personally I think this should be inspected at 100k miles to see if it's going out. There should be some wear. Some grooves will likely be in it. But if it looks splintered or if you can wipe pieces/shavings off with your fingers replace it and the chain.

Guys, I cannot stress this enough.

Also, no I didn't see damage on the hex drive but I don't know the term. If I'm assuming it's the shaft from the pully/gear tothe balance shaft then this was fine. It's been awhile since it was apart. Yes, I bought the silly tool to lock it in place but it's not eash holding that and tighting then gear down.

If you follow my thread, I'm likely going to limp it to the dealer and have them "deal" with it. They must have an idea what's wrong with it. And likely I think it's something to do with the sensor wheel.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 13:17   #13
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I would like to add that out of the small amount of B5 TDIs I service, including my own, 2 of them seem to vibrate and make more noise than mine...both are 2005 model cars.

We may have uncovered that VAG changed something in the design, parts, metallurgy, production, etc. on 2005 versus 2004 BHW engines.

What we really need to do is get everyone to post their engine production number which is located on a white tag attached to the upper timing belt cover. You may have to remove the upper engine cover to get a good look at it.

I will post mine tomorrow, as wife is gone with the car now.

There are VERY few B5 TDIs that were imported, so this should not be too extensive of a list. Granted not everyone that owns one frequents this site. I have contacts at Volkswagen still (dealership level) and I can see if anything comes up on that end.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 13:23   #14
jcaimhigher
Veteran Member

Mine was imported, special ordered, but I'll have to check the code in a bit.
I'll post this, and then the code later:

Address 01: Engine
Control Module Part Number: 038 906 016 R
Component and/or Version: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 6416
Software Coding: 0150034
Work Shop Code: WSC 05311
Old February 3rd, 2008, 14:21   #15
TDIsyncro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer
We may have uncovered that VAG changed something in the design, parts, metallurgy, production, etc. on 2005 versus 2004 BHW engines.

What we really need to do is get everyone to post their engine production number
Hopefully we can get enough production numbers to make a bit of sense on this. I will check with our local shop(s) as well. I think it would be smart choice for those with a 2005 to at least get a good mechanic to have a listen on the oil pan with the stethescope. As JCaimhigher, suggested, check the condition and position of the chain tensioner, if there is any doubt.