www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 18:32   #31
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnsgrbr
Ah man. That is the last thing I want to hear before I install my Laso tomorrow along with the TB upgrade kit I just bought from Diesel Geek.
If there was a bad batch of Laso pumps in 2006, what makes you think they were still making flawed ones in 2009?
'03 Golf with 693k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Nokian snows, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 16:13   #32
JettaDrvr

Laso Brass. Definitely no Graf as I have seen too many failures on other VWs.
JettaDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:18   #33
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Just found a bad Laso pump on a 2002 ALH that I installed a full TB kit on 60K miles ago... 80K to 140K.

It was the shaft bearing... Totally shot, the impeller was machining itself against the block internally and was supporting the shaft, probably saved the TB from jumping time. It wasn't all that loud interestingly, I noticed it right away but I could imagine someone missing it... On a positive note, it was still maintaining an OK seal considering how much play the shaft had.
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:23   #34
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyGreenGiant
Just found a bad Laso pump on a 2002 ALH that I installed a full TB kit on 60K miles ago... 80K to 140K.
What was the approximate date when you installed that Laso pump? Earlier in this thread there was talk of a bad batch.
'03 Golf with 693k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Nokian snows, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:54   #35
jollyGreenGiant
Veteran Member

Yeah, it was back in late 2006 or early 2007, I'd have to look up the record and I'm on the wrong computer to do so right now.
jollyGreenGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 14:07   #36
oldpoopie

Just replaced a spun hepu after 50k of use on an alh jetta.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 14:42   #37
Sip'n Diesel
Veteran Newbie

Fuel Economy: 900 miles on 16.9 gallons - Personal Endurance Record
Thumbs up

I've got ~73,000 miles on a Laso installed mid '08... no issues AFAIK

subscribed to this thread - will try to remember to post here after checking the WP for abnormalities during TB maintenance sometime in the next 4-6 months
2003 Jetta GL - 5 Speed Manual - Alaska Green - Dieselgeek Panzer Plate & Full Metal Jacket - DGRP - ScanGaugeII - WeatherTech Deflectors - Vent Delete - DRL Delete - Muffler Delete - KONI STR.T - Redneck Armrest - 5 Brake Lights - Otherwise all stock, for now
Sip'n Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2010, 16:17   #38
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

All I'm installing now are Graf units.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:33   #39
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

Got approx. 50,000 miles on the pump that was included in the tdiparts kit and it has been holding up great.(I think it's a Graf?)

Just checked on the timing belt yesterday and it looked like new.
turbocharged798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:44   #40
greenskeeper
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53mpg

Still on the original water pump with 140k miles.
99 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF-6 (4" turbo back, Hydra chip)
greenskeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:10   #41
Franko6

I've got a lot of Grafs out there and two leakers. But both were also very long in the tooth. I've seen the Saleri and what it is NOT is PLASTIC... it's an epoxy resin. The claim is that they are used on some of the exotic Italian vehicles, which have very high rpms and are quick revving. Both would be indicative of fatigue for the pump impeller and the bearing, but I don't have any history for life expectancy for anything except what I've personally used. None of the companies give failure or life expectancy reports.

I do know that all the castings between the plastic, resin, and the brass impellers are very fine. However, I don't have any worries that there is a tremendous advantage having a very smooth impeller. I don't thinkVW has undersized the w.p., as there aren't many issues even in very hot climates with any choice of w.p.

As someone said, I abhor the Meyle stuff, most particularly any o their products with a sealed bearing.

I only know that all w.p.'s have a failure rate. They are supposed to not fail for 100k. I have not had a Hepu seal fail, but others have. I might also note, despite the number of failures of the OEM plastic impeller, they go in every single vehicle and we really only see comparatively few fail. Those get loudly advertised. I've taken out a lot of perfectly good ones and also my share of leakers that were OEM... Only a few OEM broken impellers.

Beside avoiding the obvious bad choice, Meyle, keeping your eye on the water level and checking for possible leaks is the thing to do. Use what you are comfortable with. I can't guarantee that any company always makes a perfect one.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta

Last edited by Franko6; January 3rd, 2010 at 07:20.
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:48   #42
PDJetta
Veteran Member

The original (plastic/resin impeller) water pump I removed from my '04, at 100,000 miles, during my timing belt service looked fine in every way. No leaks, smooth operation and nice and tight. No cracked or loose impeller either. It was subjected to alot of stop and go rush hour driving too.

--Nate
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:05   #43
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

i just received a Graf wp with the cast metal impeller and the impeller vanes surfaces are very rough. I could imagine serious cavitation with this. i will try to post a pic.

I guess i'm not worried about the cavitation eating all the way thru the impellers, but the thought of the little metal bits floating around in my cooling system makes me a bit uncomfortable

any advice?
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:44   #44
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Yeah, don't worry about it. Its a non issue. I've looked at many removed and no wear was evident.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:57   #45
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

a Graf metal impeller just took a dump through the oring (70K kms), now replaced with a Hepu metal.