www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old February 13th, 2008, 18:27   #16
jayb79
Veteran Member

My Graf (metal imp.) pump is leaking at 84k. I will be trying the Laso this time. My factory pump had 201k on it and i only changed it because of the miles.

(edit)
Upon further inspection it is not a bad pump. The o-ring was pinched when i put it in. Why it went for 80k b4 it leaked is weird but, I put in a new o-ring and it will go for another 20k b4 i replace everything.

Last edited by jayb79; February 16th, 2008 at 23:45.
jayb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 18:46   #17
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

This past fall,the water pump on my A3 had to be replaced after about 40k-metal impeller -but it was shaft bearing going to hell.If I ever get an A4,I will keep this in mind.
Old February 13th, 2008, 18:54   #18
jayb79
Veteran Member

Does anyone know were i can get the Laso pump without buying the kit? I am off to start the search.

Some time later.....
found one at impex
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/laso...mp_249028.html

Last edited by jayb79; February 13th, 2008 at 19:28.
jayb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 19:24   #19
Turbine

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Aaron, aka Bleached Bora sells the Laso Brass....$50. Awesome service!
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:23   #20
visionlogic
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdidieselbobny
-but it was shaft bearing going to hell.
That's exactly what failed on my ALH. Except that it was the factory resin impeller pump that had not been changed by the dealer when the prior owner had the dealer do his TB job - which, BTW, was a 'mark & pray' job. That pump failure damn near cost me an engine.
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:46   #21
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (679k miles)

Bump for this thread, requesting more opinions or more anecdotal evidence, or hopefully a link to any studies or tests of water pump reliability.
'03 Golf with 679k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Nokian snows, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:45   #22
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

I do know to stay away from anything Meyle branded that has a bearing. Had a large idler roller start flinging grease after only 80 miles. Upon discussion with Franko6, he informed me of their issues.

Frank supplied me with a Hepu metal impeller pump, has been fine so far.

I'm curious about the OEM "resin" impeller pumps, how many fail before the interval is up? Or are all the failed ones already past their interval from dealers and other shops not changing them with the TB? I know Harvieux (Leonard) has mentioned several times that he prefers the resin pump for the same reasons that DBW mentioned.

Personally, I will probably go with the brass one next time around...it has to be close to the resin one in terms of keeping cavitation to a minimum.

2000 NB 3 pedal mod RC3 PP520's Eurojet SMIC SBC 3 2.5" side exit straight pipe2" lift

TDICADDGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 13:11   #23
Traildog

I've noticed more than a few pumps w/ resin impellers, although working ok, have longditudinal cracks in the vanes. I've also seen them in the pics posted here if the image was clear enough. Not all of the pumps were in service an abnormally long time (>60Kmi) either. Metal impellers make me feel more secure :-).
Old March 24th, 2009, 13:43   #24
BleachedBora

For what it's worth I've had the following returns:

3 LASO water pumps (MK4)
4 Graf (MK4, including my own leaker in the MK3)
0 Hepu (MK5)
1 Bosch (A3/B4)
0 Saleri (MK4)

The Saleri is a resin, it's in my own Golf, for reasons like what Drivbiwire mentions I prefer this pump. That said, my default is a Laso/Graf or Hepu in my MK4 kits with an option for the Saleri.

The only current source I know of in North America for Laso pumps has discontinued them (I actually bought them out when I heard this). I looking for other sources, but the days of Laso pumps are numbered here in the US as far as I know, if another source isn't found...
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 01:59   #25
aNUT

Fuel Economy: Great.

Laso w/ brass impeller is the best; Geba is the worst!
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:52   #26
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

bump, to see if the options have changed.
'03 Golf with 679k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilsteins, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Nokian snows, TDT/Delvac1
TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking TDI Search Engine https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...44:_idbzjdyxdm
Old July 5th, 2009, 22:38   #27
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
Regardless of which design is best, the customers have spoken and the TB kits vendors have listened -- no more plastic (resin) impellers.
TDIParts.com still says "metal impeller" but the photo seems to be of a water pump with a brass impeller.

Boraparts.com says "Graf/Hepu or Laso metal Waterpump".

MetalManParts.com says "Graf or German made HEPU water pump with metal impeller".

Dieselgeek.com still shows "Laso water pump... with brass impeller".

WorldImpex.com says "Hepu water pump" but no other information.

Last edited by TornadoRed; July 5th, 2009 at 22:47.
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:20   #28
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

As far as I know Laso pulled out of the U.S. There has been a big rash of failures lately of the ones I installet in late 06'-early 07'.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 18:51   #29
brnsgrbr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44 mpg

Ah man. That is the last thing I want to hear before I install my Laso tomorrow along with the TB upgrade kit I just bought from Diesel Geek. By the way, can you over tension the TB in a MK4 ALH?
brnsgrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 19:15   #30
Dimitri16V
Veteran Member

Installed 3 Graff from diesel geek and tdiparts T-belt kits , no leaks yet
Aleksander Prokhorenko , Charles Keating ,Russian and US special forces KIA against ISIS. RIP heroes
Dimitri16V is offline   Reply With Quote