Engine Code: P0183 - Fuel Temp Sensor

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
So I've got an engine code coming up and Autozone says it's P0183. It says Fuel Temperature Sensor. Probable Causes: 1) Fuel temperature sensor defective or 2) Check connector and wiring to sensor.

Another thing it says on the ticket is:
"The PCM has determined that the input voltage from fuel temp sensor A is higher than the calibrated limit indicating a lower than normal temperature"

What is strange is I got an alignment today and the light was off when they were done with it. The alignment was just a checkup, nothing was adjusted. Pretty sure they aren't related. But, it was strange the light went off.

Anybody familiar with this? Anybody got any ideas? Anybody know how difficult it would be to swap this sensor?

Thanks in advance
JP

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Got the same code a couple winters ago. I just had to replace the sensor. Mine was intermittent for a bit and then just came on and stayed on til I replaced it. It's a very fast swap, just don't make the same mistake I did. If the parts guy hands you the housing and all, just unclip the sensor and put it in. I thought I had to replace the whole housing as I thought they were one in the same but not the case. Take the engine cover off and it is inline with the hose coming from the bottom of the tandem pump and the hard fuel line.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
Since the light is off right now, I'm not going to worry about it too much. But if you could snap a pic of where the sensor is...that would help a bunch.

Thanks for the info.

JP

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure when I will do that but it's easy to spot once you get the engine cover off. Just to the right of the oil filter housing to be exact. My light went off a couple times too before it finally came on for good.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
OK, coo - thanks. It's looking like as it gets colder, the light wants to come on. It came on again today, but it has been off since I reported the issue.

Do you know if the part is online anywhere? Do you have a part number that you remember?

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used to have the box when I was at home. I took a job and moved out so I don't have it. I might have a receipt somewhere but finding it is the hard part.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
This is the part number 038906081B I got from the dealer. About $25. Does that sound right?

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
This must not be very common because both of the dealerships I called had real problems finding this in their systems. What they found was a "sender" not a sensor, also. It got me nervous they were talking about the right thing, but I guess we shall see. Neither of them had them in stock either nor was it in the warehouse.

<crossing my fingers>

JP

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's odd, my dealership had no problems finding it. Fixed the problem, no issues.

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
My light is on all the time now, so I am looking forward to getting it swapped out.

Did you have to reset the computer after the swap, or did the light go off by itself?

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I honestly don't remember. I think I just installed it and the next time the car was started, light went out.

cobrawilly

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi all well I was having the same issues with the light, my warranty is up so I bought a actron co9190 scanner and it told me the code and what it was so I looked in my bently book and it showed me where it was so then on got on world implex web site and ordered item #117288 sensor for $18.89 but the s&h was another 11.82 which brought the cost to $30.71. It was here in a couple of days and I did what "dhdenney" said and all it took was a few minutes, thanks for letting us know about this short cut at putting it in dhdenney.:)

jpdeuce

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon
I got the sensor swapped out. Used the tips provided by dhdenney. Just unclipped the retaining clip, pulled out the sensor, swapped with one in the car, replaced clip. I took it for a quick trip around the block and NO ENGINE LIGHT!! WooHoo!!

Anyway, I feel it a pretty good $30 spent. Can't imagine what the dealership would have charged. It was very easy to find once the engine cover was removed, right there to the right side of the engine...and real easy to get to.

Thanks for the help...looking like success so far.

JP

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yep that's all there is to it. I feel like I was one of the first ones to have to do this. I had the whole thing so I thought the whole thing must be replaced. So I get it in there and DOH! It's just a small clip!

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Just wanted to say thank you dhdenney, as I have just replaced Fuel Temp. Sensor - total cost = $25, time spent = 10 min.
Short story:
1) got CEL;
2) did VAG-COM scan, result = 000387 - Fuel Temp. Sensor A (G81): Open or Short to Plus - P0183 - 000 - - - Intermittent;
3) went to tdiclub.com, did search on the above terms, found this thread;
4) purchased the sensor

5) CEL is gone..........

What else to say? TDICLUB rocks!!!!!

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No prob! Seems like I'm the one that screws up and is the guinea pig for everyone else!

philip_g

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta
dhdenney said:
No prob! Seems like I'm the one that screws up and is the guinea pig for everyone else!
tagging on this one, have a code the last few mornings and my scanguage says P0183. Ordering a part today, thanks for the writeup

cskaminski

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the write up on this. Just brought my car to dealership, OOW. They spent 30 minutes on the Diag = $44 - Then wanted $180 for the part and install. Found this thread, ordered part from Impex - Put part in, maybe 20 minutes, light is now out. Savings of $140. Thanks dhdenney

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cskaminski said:
Thanks for the write up on this. Just brought my car to dealership, OOW. They spent 30 minutes on the Diag = $44 - Then wanted $180 for the part and install. Found this thread, ordered part from Impex - Put part in, maybe 20 minutes, light is now out. Savings of $140. Thanks dhdenney
No problem! Not sure why these are so problematic anyway...

2006TDI4Me

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Hi Gents
Newby here.
Do you Know the Part # for the Fuel Temp Sensor for a 2006 GL TDI.
I can't seem to find it at Impex.
Thanks
Thomas

mariussx

TDI
VW Passat B6 1.9 TDI SE

Hi all,

I just did the same thing on my Passat B6, cause was given the same reading my VW. VW themselves sold me the thingy for £18. Now when you replace the fuel temp sensor, does the light go out automatically or you have to disconnect the battery and discharge the system by blowing horn first? I do not have my own VAG com and do not want to go to the garage just for a reset if that's not necessary.

Edit:

Check engine light is now gone! Just had to leave the car overnight and next morning it just disappeared. Cheap fix :)

Last edited:

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Thanks to those who posted the solution to this, and the tip for quick changing.

I would only add that it's a good idea to put a rag underneath the sensor, to protect the pipes from the small amount of diesel that comes out when you swap the sensor.

My engine was acting really strange before I made this switch. It was jerking and rough idling when warm, and surging even under power. I was convinced it was my cam going caput. But with the new sensor, the engine is not doing this anymore. Best $35 I've spent!

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1

thursday

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 MKV Jetta DSG North Sea Green, Sugar Cube - 86 Vanagon Syncro AHU m-TDI
My engine was acting really strange before I made this switch. It was jerking and rough idling when warm, and surging even under power. I was convinced it was my cam going caput. But with the new sensor, the engine is not doing this anymore. Best $35 I've spent!

Mine was acting the same way and I wondered timing, cam, ?? Then it finally threw the P0183. Found the wires chaffed and shorting. Extended the wires to relieve the strain and runs like a top!

lawry

TDI
2004 jetta
wa da hek

Mine was acting the same way and I wondered timing, cam, ?? Then it finally threw the P0183. Found the wires chaffed and shorting. Extended the wires to relieve the strain and runs like a top!
:confused:am wondering how to get the conduit loose from the engine just below the fuel temp sensor.busting if off comes to mind.04 jetta tdi pd engine. my wires are kinked and at a crude angle.is there a trick to getting at them.

Last edited:

dappidodo

TDI
Jetta
Hi,

I am getting the PO183 error message. Does this error affect the gearing of the car in any way? I am experiencing delayed gear shifts at the same time.

I used to have a petrol Touareg2, and on one or two occassions when the ABS sensor went bad, the gearing was retarded until I changed the sensor.

Please help!

Thanks

dappidodo

TDI
Jetta
Hi,

I am getting the PO183 error message on my Jetta Tdi. Does this error affect the gearing of the car in any way? I am experiencing delayed gear shifts at the same time.

I used to have a petrol Touareg2, and on one or two occassions when the ABS sensor went bad, the gearing was retarded until I changed the sensor.

Please help!

Thanks