www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 21st, 2008, 10:18   #1
RMS5150

Default replace turn signal flasher relay?

2001 Jetta GLS TDI. I've done the searches, but haven't come up with a how-to for replacing the turn signal flasher relay. I've read that it is integrated with the hazard switch?? How is this replaced? My blinkers go a few times at various speed and quit, sometimes not working at all. The hazard lights flash perfect. Are the turn and hazard flashers 2 separate parts? Autozone says there are 2, but are also the same part number. All the bulbs are good.
RMS5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 14:49   #2
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

As I recall the switch just pulls out. Note: this may not be true for all years and all models.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:48   #3
peteman
Veteran Member

mine did, it's an 03. it's easier to plug the new one in if you have a blank beside it to remove.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 22:03   #4
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (512k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS5150
2001 Jetta GLS TDI. I've done the searches, but haven't come up with a how-to for replacing the turn signal flasher relay. I've read that it is integrated with the hazard switch?? How is this replaced? My blinkers go a few times at various speed and quit, sometimes not working at all. The hazard lights flash perfect. Are the turn and hazard flashers 2 separate parts? Autozone says there are 2, but are also the same part number. All the bulbs are good.
A replacement flasher relay is about $22 -- if you think that's it, then it's worth a try. Just use a thin knife blade to pry the old one out, careful not to damage the plastic trim around the flasher.

If that doesn't work, then it's in the turn signal housing. There's a longish thread on this, but I just squirted some WD40 in there and it actually stopped my problem... which was random clicking, so not exactly the same symptoms as yours.
'03 Golf with 512k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 11:23   #5
alhutch
Veteran Member

FYI, the hazard switch/turn signal relay was a factory recall item on my wife's 2001 GTI, so you might check with your dealer and see if your car falls within the parameters of the recall (via VIN).
alhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:19   #6
5string

Default 03 Jetta with turn signal clicking problem...just started.

03 Jetta with 130,000 miles. Turn signals work normally, but when I turn them OFF the clicking continues intermittently, and sometimes at a faster rate than the normal flashing rate. No lights come on when this clicking happens...just the clicks. I can sometimes stop it by signaling left or right a few times, but there's definitely something going on. I just noticed it this morning so I haven't had a chance to scan it or otherwise investigate it.
Can somebody explain where this flasher relay is located, and also can Tornado Red tell me more about squirting WD40 to fix a similar problem?

Thanks,

Steve
Old February 7th, 2008, 17:47   #7
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string
Can somebody explain where this flasher relay is located, and also can Tornado Red tell me more about squirting WD40 to fix a similar problem?
The flasher relay is the hazard switch, center of the dashboard.

As for the WD40, I just sprayed some in the general direction of the turn signal switch, using the very thin tube that fits in the WD40 can's spray nozzle. Then I worked the turn signal lever up and down a half-dozen times or so. I don't think you can squirt too much WD40 in there, though I suppose eventually it will drip down on your pants' leg.
'03 Golf with 512k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
Old February 7th, 2008, 19:19   #8
5string

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
The flasher relay is the hazard switch, center of the dashboard.

As for the WD40, I just sprayed some in the general direction of the turn signal switch, using the very thin tube that fits in the WD40 can's spray nozzle. Then I worked the turn signal lever up and down a half-dozen times or so. I don't think you can squirt too much WD40 in there, though I suppose eventually it will drip down on your pants' leg.

Thanks, I'll look at that soon. I knew the clicking was nearby but I didn't know it was the hazard switch. Makes sense though. Funny thing is the random clicking only happens after the turn signals are turned off, not while they're operating. Hazard lights are fine and do not cause the clicking when they are turned on or off. I'm betting on the turn signal switch.
Old February 7th, 2008, 23:30   #9
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5string
I'm betting on the turn signal switch.
Yep. Probably got enough gunk in there that it's creating an intermittent circuit when there shouldn't be one. That's why brake cleaner or WD40 sometimes works.

I tried it only because someone else mentioned that it worked for him, though I don't remember if the fix was permanent in his case. In mine, it's been nearly 12 months. A very cheap remedy.
Old February 8th, 2008, 16:18   #10
concours
Veteran Member

Before the recall, I carefully opened mine up, filed the contact points, re-formed the arm for more pressure on the contacts and it went another 75K mi. and was still OK at the recall
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 19:37   #11
5string

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed
Yep. Probably got enough gunk in there that it's creating an intermittent circuit when there shouldn't be one. That's why brake cleaner or WD40 sometimes works.

I tried it only because someone else mentioned that it worked for him, though I don't remember if the fix was permanent in his case. In mine, it's been nearly 12 months. A very cheap remedy.
Did you remove any of the plastic around the steering column or just spray through the hole where the turn signal arm comes out?

Steve
Old February 12th, 2008, 00:06   #12
milehighassassin
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43

I didn't use WD-40 but I sprayed electrical contact cleaner into my blinker stalk. I think it gets dirty and causes it to act funny.
Clear-bra, Tint, VR6/G60 Clutch Combo, EuroJet SMIC, Custom Lower intercooler Pipe, VNT-17, Panzer Plate
Custom 3" turbo-back exhaust
milehighassassin is offline   Reply With Quote