BEW Temperature sensor(G62) for ECU/Dash replacement - how to

Ksf

TDI
Zora
How to replace the coolant temperature sensor for ECU/dash on a BEW:

I had a CEL light that was intermittent and the idle would vary from 900 to 1100 rpm. Talked with B2P and we used his VAG-COM to check the fault code. The fault code P0118 was found. The dash temperature was 90C and the ECU was seeing –4C. The sensor has two outputs, one for the ECU and one for the dash.

VAG-COM readout:
[16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
P0118 - 000 - - - Intermittent]

Tools needed: hands, left and right (nitrile gloves are handy) and some rags.
Verify the replacement part.
Done on my 04 Bora from the top only!

Steps
1) Engine should be cold before you begin.
2) Open hood. Where the yellow arrow is pointing to, is where we are going.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Moving closer, you can see the glow plugs for the coolant where the yellow arrow is pointing. Underneath there we go.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Here is a better side shot of what you will be seeing when doing the repair. If you look down where the yellow arrow is pointing you will see what is on the next picture.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Here is our target. The yellow arrow is pointing to the plastic clip and the blue arrow is pointing to the plug.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] I dropped the camera underneath and took ~20 shots till I got this one.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] Now you know where it is the real fun begins.

3) Place your new sensor with the O-ring already seated on it where you can quickly get it. Make sure it is not on a surface where it can roll away. The spare plastic clip should be next to it as well.
4) Remove your watch and reaching with your right hand route your hand down the side to underneath the sensor and gently pull the plastic clip downwards. There is a very good chance you can do this without breaking it. (See yellow arrow in above picture)

The next few steps are to be done in quick succession:
5) Wiggle the plug so you know it will come out.
6) Ready the new sensor (with O-ring already seated) in left hand.
7) Get into a position where you can see the plug.
8) Pull the plug out! (Coolant will now pour out. This is expected)
9) Verify that the old O-ring is out by touch or visually and if not drop the old sensor and go pull the old O-ring out with your finger. (Don’t worry the old sensor is still connected to the plug. It won’t go far)
10) Left hand brings to the right hand the new sensor and the right hand seats it back into place. (Don’t toss anything here. The last thing you need is to see your new sensor fall through your right hand’s fingers)

Once that is done you can slow down.
11) Firmly press the new sensor into its’ place and return the plastic clip.
12) Remove the plug from the old sensor.
13) Orient and place the plug onto the newly installed sensor.

This is a blurry picture of where the right hand was during the procedure.

14) Top up any coolant as needed and clean up.
15) Test your work.

I don’t have VAG-COM so the CEL was still there that night but the next morning it was gone.

This took me 15 minutes to do. I’m not mechanically inclined but I did my R&D before trying.

-30-​

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
Nice write-up. I have thought about changing out my black sensor for the green top.

Did you use the green sensor or the regular black one that is prone to failure?

Ksf

TDI
Zora
My 04 should have had a green one but the sensor I pulled was Black and also had a yellow dot on it. I've seen these dots before and they are from the junk yard when you pull stuff from there. The Black sensors are known to fail and the green one is what I put back in. If you look at the top picture you can see it by the hood latch.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If you remove the air filter box and large intake hose, you'll have more "elbow room" to get at it. This is the same procedure as on the older ALH engine.

Ksf

TDI
Zora
MOGolf,

I considered doing that but decided against it for two reasons:
1) it added a several extra steps
2) it does not give any extra space where it is really needed which is when you reach for the senor as the sensor is below the filter box

Thanks for the thought.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I've done enough of these to appreciate the extra room, even if it is extra steps. I usually have an audience that want to see what's going on, too.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
do you have a part # or can you say where you got it my brothers car has this problem and I can't time it I suspect this is why. timing checker say not warm enough.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
mittzlepick said:
do you have a part # or can you say where you got it my brothers car has this problem and I can't time it I suspect this is why. timing checker say not warm enough.
"059 919 501A"

Should be around $15-$20
http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...Volkswagen&model=Golf+IV&submodel=&engine=TDI
http://store.apextuning.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4

It should come with an o-ring, if not make sure you order it along with the retaining clip. The clip is re-usable but they break easily. If you break it you can't drive your car.

Ksf

TDI
Zora
Hi mittzlepick,

Part numbers are as follows, and like milehighassassin said get all parts in case you break the clip.

Temperature sensor :VW 059 919 501A (green plastic body)
Rubber o-ring:VW N90 316 802
Spring clip: VW 032 121 142 (this is a plastic part)

From the dealer this would be individual parts (~$40) but the local guy I went to sold it as a set ($20).

Last edited:

bio boy

TDI
vw golf
Hi. I like your thread on changing the sensor. My golf gt tdi 150 pd temp gauge works and fails and When I went to take the plug off the sensor to have a look at sensor shape I was not able to get the plug off. There is 2 slots on the plug body. I put a blade screw driver in the slot on the top next the cables and the plug still did not want to come off. I just want to look at the sensor before buy one so I dont get the wrong one . Can you confirm to get plug off I have to release clip va this slot in the plug? thought it was best to ask instead of braking it and ending up in mess.

look fwd to hearing from you.

Bio Boy

ps the slot is facing into the engine like in your picture hence access to the slot very difficult.

Ksf

TDI
Zora
Hi bio boy,
On the plastic housing part of the sensor there is a flat side, this is where the clip is that the plug lock on to. When I replaced mine I had to pull out the entire part first, insert the new plug and then I was able to focus on removing the plug from the sensor with the aid of screwdriver.
Check first what the part number is and go by that. Many things look the same on the outside but inside are different.

regards,
Ksf

bio boy

TDI
vw golf
Hi KSF,

I understand what you mean by removing the whole unit (water leaking out) then fitting new sensor. Then removing plug from removed sensor but how do I know what sensor to get ? It looks very much like yours in the picture but how can a get corect p/n? Thats why I felt getting plug off one on car first have look at old sensor when fitted (black , green, shape, amount of pins all that stuff )
engine number ?
rgds

Bio Boy

Ksf

TDI
Zora
Hi Bio boy,

That is something that you need to ask someone who has access to EKTA or call up a VW parts department and ask them. Some of them are very helpful. With the part number you will know exactly which part you need.

regards,
Ksf

bio boy

TDI
vw golf
Hi Again KSF,
would I be right in saying the sensor drives the ECU and the guage onthe dash ?
is there2 coils in the sensor ?
I was just wondering as the car keeps running fine when the needle drops then comes back to 90 degrees and soo on.
There are no lights coming on.
A machanic said it may not be a sensor . hmmmm?
He also said i should get sensor fron VW not after market as the it will be very important fo the ECU?
regards

Bio Boy

Ksf

TDI
Zora
Hi bio boy,
I had the old sensor assembly x-rayed and there are two independent sensor elements inside. One is for the ECU and the other is for the dash. That the sensor has 4 contacts also supports this. With my case the sensor element for the ECU had failed and the dash showed everything to be fine. For electronics stick with VW parts as they were designed for that.

Ksf

simonation

TDI
Golf 1.9 - 2003
Hi, my '03 Golf TDI has recent developed a 'fault' where by even on short journeys 5-10miles the cooling fans continue to run when the engine is switched off - outside temp of around 4C.

Having taken the car on longer journeys, around 30miles the engine time is fine, not going above 90C but again the fan continue to run once the engine is off.

I haven't got access to a VAG-COM and my local garages want £50 to just diagnose the fault.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
bump for a thank-you. What I found weird was the clip that was in there, marked "HKK" was about 25% thicker than the one that came with my sensor.

I put the new one in, but kept the old one anyway. I can't see if making an issue.

Love that the o-ring gets stuck and you have to go fishing. Fun times.

Thanks again.

CharlesL

TDI
Bug, 2001, Red
If you remove the air filter box and large intake hose, you'll have more "elbow room" to get at it. This is the same procedure as on the older ALH engine.
I just replaced the coolant sensor on my 01 Beetle, removing the air filter box took less then five minutes and made the job much easier. Without the box there, I was able to use both hands comfortably. One hand held the new sensor in place while the other fidgeted with the clip.

TDI
05 jetta gl 1.9 diesel
Jim Millard

Your thread was very interesting. I changed my timing belt along with the water pump and tensioner, ect. refilled with g12 coolant and it runs perfectly. there is one problem, the temp gauge is erratic. at times it will fail to register any engine heat for 20 minutes then will come up to 190 and everything looks good, another 20 minutes and it will drop to 0 and not return to 190. is this because of air in the lines or do you think the sensor chose this time to fail? any help would be appreciated.

TDI
05 jetta gl 1.9 diesel
Your thread was very interesting. I changed my timing belt along with the water pump and tensioner, ect. refilled with g12 coolant and it runs perfectly. there is one problem, the temp gauge is erratic. at times it will fail to register any engine heat for 20 minutes then will come up to 190 and everything looks good, another 20 minutes and it will drop to 0 and not return to 190. is this because of air in the lines or do you think the sensor chose this time to fail? any help would be appreciated.
did I mention my soft foot on the throttle, I average 51 mpg combined city and hwy. o5 jetta 5 speed box stock wagon Niccceeee. (bought it new) Now just have to get the %#$@& air out of the coolant lines.Jim:D

5thinjector

TDI
Jetta wagon 2004 silver
BEW temp sensor fix

I replaced the sensor as shown in the forum.

The dash warning light still comes on after start up when the engine is running cold. the warning light goes off only after I turn off and re-start the the engine a few minutes later. What should I do to fix that action ? Advice ?

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
I replaced the sensor as shown in the forum.

The dash warning light still comes on after start up when the engine is running cold. the warning light goes off only after I turn off and re-start the the engine a few minutes later. What should I do to fix that action ? Advice ?
I have the same symptoms on the same type vehicle. Any assistance is appreciated.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I think you need VCDS or some scanner to shut off the CEL.