www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 16th, 2008, 10:13   #1
The Turtle
Veteran Member

Exclamation 1996 B4 Passat... where's the thermostat?

Had a look under there and cannot really figure out where the thermostat is. There's a plastic fitting near the #3 injector, there are some other coolant hoses that don't seem to have enough space to fit the thing. I am pretty sure mine is stuck mostly closed and am getting no heat, but it'd help if I could figure out where to put the new thermostat!
The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:25   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

It's under the watter pump, above the power steering pump. You'll see a plastic elbo that bolts to the bottom of the water pump. That's where it lives.

-Jason
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:26   #3
darkscout
Grammar Scout

Fuel Economy: See Sig

No heat? How far are you driving? Did this just start (as in you were getting heat before on the same duty cycle)?

The thermostat is under the waterpump. Stand in front of your car and point straight down from the alternator... it's down there.
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:30   #4
The Turtle
Veteran Member

Ah, fark. Does anything else have to be removed to replace the stat? This could be an unreal PITA. As far as the heat... yeah, started out the drive with heat, then noticed the heat went away and the temp gauge went to about 195, where it's usually around 180. Got off the interstate and it spiked up to about 220 briefly and then settled down. Some bubbly sounds when I turned it off, like the stat was stuck shut.
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:32   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Fuel Economy: 56.3/44/41

The in cabin heat should always work. You sure the water pump is still good?
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:38   #6
darkscout
Grammar Scout

yeah, that doesn't sound like a t-stat. If the t-stat was busted then you'd be running cool all around.
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:39   #7
The Turtle
Veteran Member

It does provide pulses of heat from time to time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but every car I've ever owned had the cabin heat on the "other" side of the thermostat... in other words, no heat until the engine warms up and the stat opens to let the coolant flow.
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:41   #8
The Turtle
Veteran Member

And if the stat was stuck shut (that's the usual failure mode I've seen over the years) then the engine would be hot and the radiator and heater cool. In emergencies, I've occasionally removed thermostats entirely and run without them. If the water pump is failing, how bad is that to replace? I think I did one in my 1.8T Passat but can't remember now. On the B4, does anything else have to be removed to get at the stat?
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:46   #9
darkscout
Grammar Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Turtle
And if the stat was stuck shut (that's the usual failure mode I've seen over the years) then the engine would be hot and the radiator and heater cool. In emergencies, I've occasionally removed thermostats entirely and run without them. If the water pump is failing, how bad is that to replace? I think I did one in my 1.8T Passat but can't remember now. On the B4, does anything else have to be removed to get at the stat?
The heater core comes straight out of the head, however if you don't get any flow, then no cool air will be pushed through. The temp gauge is right at the exit of the head also, however given it's higher position, convection could easily heat this up. To the range you're seeing.

This is how I'd diagnose it:
Heater Cold, Engine Cold = Thermostat
Heater Cold, Engine HOT HOT HOT = Water Pump

You have to take the TB off to get to the pump. You you don't have to take the whole thing off, the impeller part bolts to another body and if you're good and don't break any of these bolts you can just pull that out.
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:16   #10
Lug_Nut
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Which VW diesel? There have been Twelve of them. Now 13!

Be aware of where the sensors are located. An engine coolant temperature sensor might not necessarily be in the engine.
You could have a cool "engine" temperature sensor reading, yet still have an overheated engine, if the hot fluid in the engine doesn't circulate past the sensor.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:33   #11
The Turtle
Veteran Member

Thing is, the temp sensor is by and large entirely normal. Engine isn't blowing steam or anything. Heat comes and goes and never gets very warm. Coolant level is normal. Since this is the second engine in this car I can't say whether it's still got the original impeller assembly. Might as well just have Mark rip the whole thing out and do it all at once, rather than guessing.
Old January 16th, 2008, 19:06   #12
ninedee_golf_tdi

The b4 does require you drop the power steering pump which is easily done by removing 5 bolts. Two bolts hold the bracket going underneath the crank pulley to the rear of the motor, two vertical bolts holding the pump up into the block next to the oil pan, and a single bolt holding the power steering back to the air conditioning bracket. I also remove the small bolt holding the ps pressure hose underneath the radiator. Drop that mess down out of the way and there is the thermostat housing. It's still somewhat hidden above a piece of the block and of course vw made it so the thermostat hangs downward which means it's a pain to get back up there. Draining the coolant is accomplished by loosening the thermostat housing a little bit or just remove the house fitting by pulling out the horseshoe clip once you get the ps out of the way. Once you pry the thermostat out of the housing, you'll get a flood more of coolant so beware.

Last edited by ninedee_golf_tdi; December 1st, 2008 at 16:22.
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:53   #13
JungleMan
Veteran Member

Turtle,
here is a diagram that may help you, the thermostat is item #12.
Part # b 044 121 113 (87C-102C/188F-215F)
I Hope this helps. If you need part #'s, let me know.

Last edited by JungleMan; January 23rd, 2008 at 07:55.
JungleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 00:32   #14
Mike out west

Alright, guys. Help me replace the thermostat in my B4 by helping me drop the power steering pump. I don't have any experience with this side of the engine compartment, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how the PS pump will swing out. After I removed the two vertical bolts into the block near the oil pan, nothing moved, and so I started to remove a few more bolts, and still no movement. Then I found this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi
Two bolts hold the bracket going underneath the crank pulley to the rear of the motor, two vertical bolts holding the pump up into the block next to the oil pan, and a single bolt holding the power steering back to the air conditioning bracket. I also remove the small bolt holding the ps pressure hose underneath the radiator. Drop that mess down out of the way and there is the thermostat housing.
two vertical bolts...check!
single small bolt holding the PS pressure hose under the radiator...check!
two bolts underneath the crank pulley to the rear of the motor...help!
single bolt holding the power steering back to the air conditioning bracket...help!
Here's a photo:

The bolt I labeled "I" might couple with the air conditioning bracket, but it's kind of hard to see for sure. The bolts labeled "B" "C" and "D" each need to be removed before the PS pump will swing down, or am I missing something?
Mike out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:52   #15
starrd
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1996 Passat

Loosen bolt A and J and rotate the larger hex part at A to loosen belt tension and remove belt. The remove bolt A, J and I. Also remove the 2 10mm head bolts holding the power steering lines to the front bumper area. Remove the nut holding the other power steering to the transmission. Lower complete power steering assembly with lines connected and swing it out of the way towrds the rear of the car - clockwise looking down from the engine compartment. Then remove the 3 bolts holding the bracket the power steering pump was connected to and remove. The thermostat housing is now in the open and can be removed.
Red 1990 Corrado - Stg IV, VR6 Clutch & PP, Diagnostics Chip by me

Last edited by starrd; November 27th, 2008 at 08:56.
starrd is offline   Reply With Quote