www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 15th, 2008, 18:59   #61
scurvy
Good Ol' Boy

TDI(s): 2006 Golf
Fuel Economy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy
I logged data, but won't get the chance to tidy it up until tomorrow.
Aight, here it is. I logged groups 7, 12 & 15. I did not turn off my Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/GPS nav headunit, because, well, it doesn't have an on/off switch per se.

Here is cold idle, all accessories off. Group 15 says 0.6 liters/hour.

And another cold idle, but all accessories at FULL BLAST - 0.8 liters/hour.

Once fully warmed up, all accessories off - 0.4 liters/hour
scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:40   #62
2004STARWARSTDI
Veteran Member

Question 2.7 Million Miles

Rotarykid are you wearing a diaper-doesn't look like you have time to stop for a pit stop! ha ha
Glow plugs 101 Ver. 2.0
Engine CEL Code Lookup. Turbo Hose To Egr Fix - TDIClub Forums
2004STARWARSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:33   #63
andreigbs
Veteran Member

I also agree with Scurvy on the idle fuel consumption issue: my PD shows 0.4 ltr./hr. when warm and all accessories off. I think DFW may have read it wrong. AFAIK, VAG-com reports most values in the metric system.
1997 Jetta TDI // 317xxx miles // 44 MPG - sold!
1986 Golf NA Diesel // 188xxx miles // 52 MPG - totalled
andreigbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 21:57   #64
wandlc
Veteran Member

Default Cetane numbers

Thank you BB for the cetane numbers for the diesel suppliers. I have ready access to both Flying J and Chevron and they are usually the same price. So I am only buying Chevron now and I have had my best mileage yet at 47 mpg in my 2000 NB. I bought the car for my 70 mile one way commute in November and have been bringing the maintenance up to date and fixing/correcting issues. I just put in a new T-stat and have seen a 2 mpg increase. The old T-stat was failed open and the engine never exceeded 165, nowin runs at 195, much better. I am hoping that when I put the Pilot Exalto A/S on next week that I will see a further increase in MPGs. Thanks for the helpful tips BB.

Steven
wandlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 14:24   #65
BleachedBora

No problem Steven! Truck stops are my favorite when there is a cheapo cruddy station that has huge volume and then a better quality station right next door. Usually you can get the higher quality fuel for 2-5 cents more than the cruddy stuff. It's a no brainer in those cases! I filled up last night with Sinclair B20 ($3.149), most of the tank had been city driving 2-3 miles with the engine never warming up, and I still got 41. Not too bad all things considered...
Cheers,
-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 14:27   #66
keks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45MPG average,mostly city with a sprinkle of HWY

Great Tips !

I read one post in this thread that suggested skipping gears in city driving. I just started doing this and I really see a difference on this tank.

If im on a hill, I'll pull out in 2nd then shift directly to 4th or if up a hill 1st > 3rd. I got 75 miles on this tank and the needle is barely off the first mark,usually I would be passed the second going onto the 3rd mark( I really need a scanguage) It's early to tell but I'm guessing this will be one of my best tanks, at this rate it will be better than my all Hwy tanks, which was 45mpg. If I remember i'll post my final MPG.

BTW, How big is the tank on a 98 Jetta? I think someone mentioned it was 15 Gallons. I can't ever get more than 13.5 gallons in there, so I usually do my MPG calculations off 13.5.I usually pussy out 50miles on "E"

O yea BB, I sent ya a E-mail a couple days ago. I know your a busy man, just making sure it didn't get lost in your spam catcher

keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 14:39   #67
BleachedBora

Which email address did you use? I think I'm up to date as of today on all my emails... :-/
Capacity on a '98 is 15.5 gallons, I've run them dry twice...
Do you have the ventectomy done? I've found that in my '98 the light came on with about 2.5 gallons left.
Congrats on the good mileage!
-BB
Old January 19th, 2008, 14:44   #68
keks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45MPG average,mostly city with a sprinkle of HWY

sel303@gmail.com

I thought I could squeeze a little more out of my tanks . Haven't done the ventectomy yet,when I get a warm day i'll have to do that. I have been pushing the little tab with the tip of the pump when filling up.

keks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 00:26   #69
ejpilger

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default "Take it easy" vs. "Pedal to the metal"

1. The sooner you get to a higher gear the better (lower RPM = less waste)

2. The power curve for the TDI shows the best efficiency at 100% load, between about 1500 and 2500 RPM.

So...the most efficient way to get to speed should be flooring it, skipping gears (as long as you stay in the efficient RPM range).

Since adopting this method my mileage improved at least 15%.

This stands in direct contradiction to the "Take it easy accelerating" rule. Anything wrong with my logic, or my observations?
ejpilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:40   #70
Bora-chiara
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora
Which email address did you use? I think I'm up to date as of today on all my emails... :-/
Do you have the ventectomy done? I've found that in my '98 the light came on with about 2.5 gallons left.
-BB
Are you kidding me?! Gah, I always figured it was 14.5! Had I known that I could have easily made the 800 mile club a few tanks ago, I had another Gallon in there?!??!!:mad :
Bora-chiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 16:42   #71
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora
-BB
Lug_Nut said he got 17 gallons in my '97. And I believe him. The '06 is another story. I ran it 'till the MFA said 5 miles left the other day and only got 14.1 gallons in. Bummer.

And my driving for better economy tip for today is: drive in warmer weather. Last weekend driving to Detroit in temperatures below 15 most of the time (and under 10 on a lot of Sunday) I was seeing 39 on my MFA (40.5 actual). Today driving to Maine when the temp was 33-36 I saw 42.8 for the trip on my MFA. Temperature matters, I guess.
Old January 26th, 2008, 18:53   #72
97pssat04golfTDIs
Veteran Member

I have a 2004 Golf and I have had two tank fills over 16 one was 16.5 and I still think I had another half gallon in there. I've done the vent removal and always fill to the brim. I have set my scangauge to 17 gallons for my tank and it seems to hold true. I have yet to really run the tank down low but plan to this time as long as we do not get a real cold spell.

A Question for BB do you know what Cetane Sunoco brand diesel usually is? I am always frustrated by the fact that most pumps in the Washington DC area do not have a cetane rating posted on them if they do it is usually only 40. I was happy to see the BP/Amoco diesel marked with 47 cetane, that I just recently found with the help of No_Blue_Screen.

97pssat04golfTDIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 21:50   #73
BleachedBora

Odd IBW, the first time I put in 15.50 and the second time I put in 15.48. I'm pretty sure that 15.5 is it when you run them dry. :-/
As for the Sunoco, we don't have that brand out west--actually never heard of them before. If someone finds out please post it.
Thanks!
-BB
Old January 28th, 2008, 13:27   #74
BioBob
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Bora, 67.1, Jetta 66.1
Default Cost effectiveness question

I'm one of those mileage freaks. I'm consistently in the
60's, but would like to get into the 70's.

I have been considering a .681 gear set, and was surprised that it was not listed in the 10 things to do.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Would the money be better spent on Injectors or a chip?

I very much appreciated the cetane numbers. I have been a devoted FJ user, as i thought I had read on here (by Ernie Rogers) that FJ had the best cetane numbers.

Maybe Ernie made that comment hoping Lugnut would read it!

Please address the gearing question. I'm eager to see what the experts think.

Thanks!

'52 MG body on '69 AC Chassis. Sunny Day Driver (no top)

'27 Bugatti Body on '67 AC Chassis. WIP

BioBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 19:05   #75
nicklockard
Torque Dorque

Fuel Economy: No data yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBob
I'm one of those mileage freaks. I'm consistently in the
60's, but would like to get into the 70's.

I have been considering a .681 gear set, and was surprised that it was not listed in the 10 things to do.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Would the money be better spent on Injectors or a chip?

I very much appreciated the cetane numbers. I have been a devoted FJ user, as i thought I had read on here (by Ernie Rogers) that FJ had the best cetane numbers.

Maybe Ernie made that comment hoping Lugnut would read it!

Please address the gearing question. I'm eager to see what the experts think.

Thanks!
At $350 + installation costs, it would take ~ten years to recoup your investment.
nicklockard is offline   Reply With Quote