www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 12th, 2008, 16:50   #16
SBAtdijetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best 51.4mpg, AVG 38+ and climbing

I try to remember to turn off the car if I can tell it will be a long wait at a light. Anything well over 30 sec of idle is more fuel than used at start up "normaly". Mine is a PD.

What about cruise control, use it! Maintain a even pace and watch the MPG's rise.
Need help? I have VAG-COM
SBAtdijetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 16:53   #17
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

How hard is that on the starter? And think about safety.
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:36   #18
dee_zell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.2MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachedBora
Tips for better fuel economy!

6) Get a performance chip[...](~$300-450 depending on car)
7) Nozzles! [...] ($315)
8) Downpipe[...](~$250-400 again depending on model).
9) Larger turbo[...] ($850-3,000+)
My personal advice. Don't go for the above upgrades and you instantly save lotsa, lotsa mulla to buy your fuel!!

Last edited by dee_zell; January 13th, 2008 at 14:30.
dee_zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 06:48   #19
dee_zell
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36.2MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooperhsd
Then how are you going to know how much you used ? How full is the tank ?

I'll stick to full tanks, thank you very much...
It doesn't matter how much fuel you add between vented tanks. Just record your starting mileage, fuel added and then do your mileage calculation at the next vented tank. That's what I do.
dee_zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:24   #20
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

That's what I do when/ if I have any tanks that are not full up.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 16:35   #21
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
In a manual trans car you pay more attention not less when cruising with then engine off which equals safer . If I see I'm going to need more acceleration I can have it running in about the same time it takes someone to get back on the throttle in a running car .

When you see you are going to have to stop or need extra acceleration just use your momentum in the highest gear possible to re crank the engine just as it is required saving battery power & starter life .

If this is done properly no more strain is put on the drive train than shifting gears up or down or accelerating & decelerating in gear . Just let the clutch out just enough to get the engine going no more then get into the required gear drive off .

In an automatic it does take more electricity which equals more fuel used less fuel saved to do this but there is a payoff if done with care . Plus the extra strain put on the starter .
Old January 13th, 2008, 16:44   #22
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Actually rotarykid, you're wrong. It adds more wear to the clutch because you're dragging the engine from 0 rpms up to 2,000 or 3,000 rpms, depending on your current cruising speed. If you left the engine running with it in neutral, you could rev-match with the throttle to reduce clutch wear, or you could just cruise in gear and put absolutely no wear on the clutch.
Old January 13th, 2008, 19:20   #23
SBAtdijetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Fout
It may give some extra wear on the starter sure, but safety? How is turning the motor off at long stop lights a safety issue? Please enlighten me on this...

Edit: In case you are thinking i turn the motor off while crusing or coasting no, I do not.
Old January 13th, 2008, 19:22   #24
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBAtdijetta
It may give some extra wear on the starter sure, but safety? How is turning the motor off at long stop lights a safety issue? Please enlighten me on this...
If you need to move the car NOW.
Old January 13th, 2008, 19:25   #25
SBAtdijetta
Veteran Member

Clutch is depressed and car is in 1st gear, just turn the key and let up clutch. (.5 sec) no prob.

Edit: If your car has problems starting at all/ever then obviously I would not do this nor should you. Also you are at a stop light with many cars in front of you, where would you go anyway?

Last edited by SBAtdijetta; January 13th, 2008 at 21:27.
Old January 13th, 2008, 19:32   #26
Bob_Fout
Oil Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBAtdijetta
Clutch is depressed and car is in 1st gear, just turn the key and let up clutch. (.5 sec) no prob.
Not fast enough in an "oh s***" situation. Most won't the presence of mind either. I won't gamble my life or those in my car for pennies.
Old January 13th, 2008, 22:31   #27
rotarykid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 64 .1city @ 30-60 mph/ 52-53 @ 70-85 mph hyway ( 52 to just under 60 normal around town)on LSD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI
Actually rotarykid, you're wrong. It adds more wear to the clutch because you're dragging the engine from 0 rpms up to 2,000 or 3,000 rpms, depending on your current cruising speed. If you left the engine running with it in neutral, you could rev-match with the throttle to reduce clutch wear, or you could just cruise in gear and put absolutely no wear on the clutch.
RE-Read what I said , only let the clutch out far enough for long enough to spin the engine NO more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course if you drop the clutch to crank the engine you will cause extra wear and dampening spring damage .

Last clutch in my 85 TD lasted 700,000 miles so if done correctly no extra wear is done . You don't ever need to let the clutch out completely to get the engine running , Only let it out just enough to spin the engine over to crank it over that's all . Never more !!!

Pay attention to what the point is at which the engine is at say 800-1,200 rpms at the speed you're going around with the engine killed . Use that gear to re crank the engine then shift into the higher gear needed to accelerate to the desired speed .

Had one last 900,000 mies on a 79 Celica without needing to be replaced hardly ever used the starter on that car . Got almost 600,000 miles on an 82 Celica the same . Got over 500,000 on a 80 Rabbit 1.5 LS without a clutch .
Old January 13th, 2008, 22:54   #28
rotarykid
Veteran Member

And killing engine while cruising at speeds without extra acceleration is perfectly fine safe as long as your aren't going into curves or more braking is required , repeated braking . There is plenty of vacuum in the reservoir for needed braking assist . The vacuum will last until you use it .

Kill the engine and then turn the key back on to have speedo & turn signals .

Watch what is going around you just as you should be anyway . When extra power is needed do as I described in the highest gear that matches the rpms that are just enough to restart the engine . Then off you go .

And I'm talking about doing this when you would already be in between gears on a long straight slight down grade or on low speed runs on strait city streets . So no extra cruising out of gear is what I'm talking about to see a gained benefit to city mpgs .
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:51   #29
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWDieselJet
PD engines burn around .3 GALLONS per hour at idle once warmed up (a little less - yes LESS - until they are warmed up), so turning off the engine is (arguably) more beneficial than with a non-PD engine. Verified on an '04 Jetta, both with ScanGauge and VAG-COM.

I and others have seen a 5% increase in fuel economy by turning off the engine while driving or at long lights, so it can be effective. Whether it's dumb is debateable. (But not here please, this is a great thread!)
There's no way that the PD burns 3 times as much fuel at idle as the VE. Maybe if you had every single accessory on full blast. But not in most circumstances.
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:05   #30
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarykid
Had one last 900,000 mies on a 79 Celica without needing to be replaced hardly ever used the starter on that car .
What'd you do, tow it behind your RV for 500,000 miles?