www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 6th, 2008, 06:31   #1
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec
Default Brake master cylinder/clutch master cylinder?

Now I am confussed...............everyones thoughts were that the master cylinder was bad on my 96 B4 Passat Wagon. I looked up the parts and the different auto parts stores show a brake master cylinder and a clutch master cylinder. I was under the impression that they were combined as one unit. If they are seperate, where is the clutch master cylinder located? If they are the same which part do I order??? Also if they are one unit wouldn't it not only affect my brakes,but the clutch function also.

Thanks, Dweisel

Last edited by dweisel; January 6th, 2008 at 06:37.
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:38   #2
lost1wing
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: <45

If it like my 03 Jetta, they share the same fluid from the brake master cylinder. The clutch master cylinder is mounted on the transmission.
lost1wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:43   #3
lost1wing
Veteran Member

At the brake master cylinder reservoir, follow the tube to the clutch master cylinder.
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:43   #4
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 35mpg Avg / B4: 41mpg Avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1wing
If it like my 03 Jetta, they share the same fluid from the brake master cylinder.
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1wing
The clutch master cylinder is mounted on the transmission.
Actually the clutch master is on the firewall, next to the brake master, ~4-6" to the right, when facing the brake/clutch master cyl. What you refer to is the clutch slave cylinder.

HTH

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
TonyJetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:18   #5
lost1wing
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta
Yes!

Actually the clutch master is on the firewall, next to the brake master, ~4-6&quot; to the right, when facing the brake/clutch master cyl. What you refer to is the clutch slave cylinder.

HTH

Tony
After I put down the crack pipe, I realized what I wrote. TonyJetta, thanks for the correction.
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:16   #6
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

lost1wing, no worries....You should see some of my posts late at night!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG, 35MPG avg; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW, Jake, 15.5MPG avg, 47kmiles; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! 204k miles, Avg 42mpg / best 48.9mpg, Troubleshooting Links: Whitedog's No Start Trusted TDI Mechanics A4 Limp Mode IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:45   #7
codeblue
Veteran Member

Hey guys, question.....

how often do these things need to be replaced? I am still currently on the originals and am planning a brake fluid change this summer and wondering if they should be replaced.

I know the seal around my clutch slave cylinder is toast so I will be replacing that, but I know nothing about how the master cylinder works.
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:51   #8
lost1wing
Veteran Member

It depends on if you change the brake fluid as required (every two years). Moisture will lead to corrosion, which leads to failures. Also note that if you top off you brake fluid, you do it with the proper type (never mix fluids).
Old January 11th, 2008, 13:11   #9
FOG
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50H/43L/36Towing

[quote=codeblue]Hey guys, question.....

how often do these things need to be replaced? I am still currently on the originals and am planning a brake fluid change this summer and wondering if they should be replaced.

I know the seal around my clutch slave cylinder is toast so I will be replacing that, but I know nothing about how the master cylinder works.

How do you no if the clutch slave cylinder is toast, is it leaking?

The Brake and Clutch fluid need to be replaced every two years and use Dot 4 type only.
The clutch and brake master cylinders work the same. You push on a piston and it moves fluid and a piston (clutch) pistons (brakes) on other end.

Walt

Last edited by FOG; January 11th, 2008 at 13:20.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:01   #10
ColoTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/40
Exclamation Having clutch problems as well

As of this last Monday, I was unable to down shift and then, when stopped at a light, it would not shift into (any) gear. I shut it off, put it into first, and started the car when the light turned green. I was able to up shift with relativly no problems. Then on Tuesday, I started the Passat, and tried to shift into reverse. Again, it didn't want to shift into any gear. However, this time when I tried to shift it into reverse (with the car still running and clutch depressed) it started to move backwards without fully going into gear.

I can only visibly see the brake master with reservoir. I checked it and it's at or just below the MIN mark. Is there a clutch reservoir, and if so, where do I find it? I looked just to the right of the brake setup on the firewall, but don't really see anything.

Does this sound like a master/slave problem, or more like a full on clutch replacement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can probably post pics if needed/wanted.

Thanks.
- Norm
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:26   #11
Eldorado311

TDI(s): 1996 Passat

Did you find an answer, I have the same problem
Eldorado311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 15:09   #12
paramedick

Have you checked the adjustment at the linkage? 13mm nut is often loose. Also not uncommon to find the plastic mounting piece broken.

Adjustment procedures/pictures in the link below.
http://www.dieselgeek.com/A3B4Corrvr6sidetoside.htm

Last edited by paramedick; January 12th, 2008 at 15:13.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:17   #13
codeblue
Veteran Member

ah I never got that peice from Dieselgeek when I bought my short shift kit from him.

But check this out, the ultimate fix for the plastic mounting peice breaking. (even though mine never has, it's only a matter of time)

http://www.gruvenparts.com/website/c...category_id=60

I bought one of these and fits perfectly in a TDI 02A.
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:03   #14
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Might that be the same trans that's in a B4?

Hmmmm?????

Tony
Old June 26th, 2009, 20:29   #15
Diesel_Aggie
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta
Might that be the same trans that's in a B4?

Hmmmm?????

Tony
Not sure if the transmission is the same but the 1JO-711-256 part number this upgrades is used on the B4 Passat.
1994 F-350 Power Stroke 4x4 315,000
Diesel_Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote