If you ever remove/replace the coolant flange...

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
...the one that houses the three auxiliary glow plugs (if you have a manual transmission) and sits on the driver's side of the cylinder head:

Use the exact torque values ...they are fairly low - 10Nm/7ft-lbs! If you tighten the bolts to what you THINK should give a good seal, the thing WILL leak because you destroyed the O-ring.

Yes, I may be stating the obvious. It may be some help towards avoiding an annoying coolant leak. Ask me, how I know.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I also have had problems with the oring seal being stretched and swollen on them, and the replacement I got was just as bad. It would not fit.

On two out of three, I had to cut the oring, seal the ends with permatex, and re-install them. It worked both times, but I do not like to do that.

The jury is still out on the third one.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
I am removing that part to drill and tap for the coolant temp. probe. for my gauges. I bought a new seal for the flange - the part number is 037-121-688. I can see that mine is currently installed with black rtv.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I could not make the round one stay in place long enough to install it. It just kept popping out. Very frustrating. The original was shaped to fit.

You might have some luck with a thick silicone grease to hold it in place, now that it is cold weather.

Keep it clear of oils, cleaners, penetrating oil, and especially WD-40, prior to installation.

VWGMDIESELFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
(totaled 4/30/2014) 2002 JETTA GLS TDI
Just recently replaced my leaking plastic one on my slushbox. I should have just bought the o-ring. It was only 7 bucks for the whole thing new and since it was plastic I figured better safe than sorry. Someone suggested once to replace it with a manual one since it's not plastic. Maybe next time.

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Coolant Flange Pictures

Here is a pic of the old "swollen" o-ring(below) and the new(above)

Here is a picture of the new o-ring with the visible "nubs"

Here are two pictures of the new o-ring installed. No need to apply any sealant to hold it in place.

fabed23

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta ALH - 5spd
EDIT...
Job went thru smoothly. Wasnt as bad as I figured it would be. Just hope to wake up with no leaks tomorrow morning. I had no nubs on the o ring that was sent to me. It still sat in there well with no problems and seems to be holding up.

Last edited: