www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 1st, 2008, 19:59   #1
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A5: 36mpg Avg / A6: 39
Default Tony's B4 Project

Thought I'd start a thread w/ some pics of what I started with...pics will come later

So, I bought it as a basket case: PO let the timing belt go & pulled the head to find out he did not wat to put the money into it.

While waiting for the head I have:
1) Completed the ventectomy
2) Deleted 5th injector
3) Replaced all vacuum / boost lines
4) Ordered all parts to get ready to reassemble everything
...a) Timing belt & rollers
...b) water pump
...c) head gasket set
...d) new hoses (U/L/heater, etc)
...e) Frost heater
5) CCV mod in progress
6) Replaced not-so-clear hoses with motorcycle poly tubing

Work still to be done:
1) Install head & make it run
2) Recover drivers seat
3) CLEAN the interior...smells like BO
4) Fix dent in R-Rear quarter
5) 4-wheel brakes
6) Console lid hinge broke
7) basic maintenance to brin it back to operational status

More to come!

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!

Last edited by TonyJetta; January 1st, 2008 at 20:03.
TonyJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 16:42   #2
ninedee_golf_tdi

Clean the intake manifold ? Order head bolts ? Intake/exhaust manifold gaskets if they arent in the set ?
ninedee_golf_tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 18:38   #3
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi
Clean the intake manifold ? Order head bolts ? Intake/exhaust manifold gaskets if they arent in the set ?
Done...Done...Done

Something odd I observed when bleeding the brakes:
Neither front caliper would bleed until I pressed (hard) on the pedal. Then it went to the floor. I pumped a few times and then everything bled just fine. Ran out of time, so I could not test the pedal pressure with the system closed back up. Using the power bleeder, I was certain that no air entered the system.

Could the master be bad?

Keep in mind I've never driven this car, so I have no idea what all the systems need.

Tony
Diesel fleet: 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG; 2006 Jetta, TDI, DSG-5sp Conversion; 2006 DC Cummins, CC/LB/DRW; 1996 Passat TDI, 5sp, Project car! Troubleshooting Links: Trusted TDI Mechanics IP Timing Timing Belt FAQ A3/B4 Low Power Cyl Head Repair Fault Codes What you have just read is an opinion...take it as you see fit!

Last edited by TonyJetta; January 2nd, 2008 at 18:41.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 19:59   #4
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyJetta

Something odd I observed when bleeding the brakes:
Neither front caliper would bleed until I pressed (hard) on the pedal. Then it went to the floor. I pumped a few times and then everything bled just fine.
Did gunk come out with the initial hard push? If so, I'd say it was "gunky". I had problems with one wheel when I did mine. I assumed that something was clogging it, and with the proper pressure, that something stopped clogging it.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 22:35   #5
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkern
Did gunk come out with the initial hard push? If so, I'd say it was "gunky". I had problems with one wheel when I did mine. I assumed that something was clogging it, and with the proper pressure, that something stopped clogging it.
Oh, yeah! It was almost black with gunk! Even after 3 or 4 times pushing the pedal, it was still brown! I let the bleeder run ~3-5 minutes & it cleared right up. My biggest concern right now, is if I blew a seal in the master.

Almost forgot...I also bled the clutch.

Tony
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:30   #6
dauber
Veteran Member

was that the one that went on ebay a few weeks back in San Diego?

1996 Mercedes E300 D-sold
1983 C20 Suburban 6.2 D-Sold

dauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:23   #7
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber
was that the one that went on ebay a few weeks back in San Diego?
No...This was a local car.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:20   #8
rdkern
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: A4 = wife drives it, don't know

If you blew the seal you'll know soon enough. Good luck! And remember - every 2 years and this won't happen again.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 17:08   #9
dauber
Veteran Member

Ok, just wondering I saw one on ebay similar to what you found.

I would love to find one for a project like that. Post some pics when you get a chance. If you don't mind saying how much did you have to give for the project?

Old January 3rd, 2008, 21:08   #10
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

I bought the car for $1k....A little more that I would have liked to pay.

From an appearance perspective, it's a lot less than desirable. The PO tried to run it into the ground. He apparently had the mentatlity that 130k and the car's life is over.

I'll see if I can get shots of it tomorrow morning. BTW...Green, clear coat peeling, with tan interior, drivers seat ripped, sunflower seeds all over, and BO stench!

I pulled the intercooler today...WHAT A MESS! I think the PO lost the power steering at some point. The outside-front of the intercooler was black with oil & dirt. I've got to get some gloves! I'll be taking it to the local car wash & using the engine cleaning function to get rid of the gunk! The intercooler was ~90% blocked, on the outside. What I can see of the inside is quite clean. Don't see much oil. So, how much power is gained or lost from the intercooler?

I also got the water pump & most of the accessory drive back in place.

Pretty much waiting for the lower timing cover; the original was cut when the belt went. Which is OK...I have plenty to keep me busy. Bad thing (Maybe, maybe-not) I have to go back to work on sunday! Oh, well, keeps me from spending money!

Tony

Last edited by TonyJetta; January 3rd, 2008 at 21:20.
Old January 4th, 2008, 21:29   #11
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

So, I cleaned the intercooler & piping today.

Found a 1/4" hole worn into the top tank of the intercooler. I have a guy in Texas that sounds like he has a few of the Passat intercoolers that are not usable; tryng to get my hands on just the top tank and have a local radiator shop swap the tanks.

Tony
Old January 11th, 2008, 12:33   #12
merkerguitars
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46ish

Sounds like a pretty fun project. Thankfully to the resources here you shouldn't have to spend alot of money on it to get it running.

It amazes me on how dumb some car owners are, Recently a guy sold his 2.0L beetle cause he didn't want to spend the $500 on a timing belt job. The worst is when people figure they don't need to do the timing belt on a TDI.
Your Twin Cities area TDI mechanic, can do all sorts of work with over 5 years of experience, just PM if you need service. I work at Midwest Motorworks, just give me a call at 715-381-1100 I'll be more than happy to cure your TDI Woes
merkerguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 14:16   #13
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkerguitars
Sounds like a pretty fun project. Thankfully to the resources here you shouldn't have to spend alot of money on it to get it running.

It amazes me on how dumb some car owners are, Recently a guy sold his 2.0L beetle cause he didn't want to spend the $500 on a timing belt job. The worst is when people figure they don't need to do the timing belt on a TDI.
I ABSOLUTELY agree with everything you say!

The PO was CHEAP! However, when you consider a car that can get upwards of 40MPG, how do you not maintain it particularly considering fuel prices keeep climbing?

If I did not have all the resources on this site (past, present, and future), I would not even CONSIDER this project.

Updates:
Now have pics in the gallery, here's a sampling:
*engine block after cleaning

*Cyl head before Frank's work

*Interior (YUK!)

*exterior (YUK!)

Work to be done:
Install head
Time motor
Assemble accy drive
Reinstall intercooler (Found one in Texas)

Parts waiting:
Alternator is at local rebuilder; Should have cost early next week
Sent Injectors off to Frank - All 4 failed pop-test at local diesel shop; Should be back mid next week. Frank is also going to set them up with PP520's. WOOOHOO!

Tony
Old January 13th, 2008, 19:12   #14
TonyJetta
Veteran Member

A little more progress over the weekend: Head on, Timing ALMOST perfect; checking it found to be slightly off, no interference, but on verification it was a few degrees out. Will time it again, when I get time next weekend. Reminds me of an old 'YES' tune, "I've seen all good people"..."Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and its news is captured"...but I digress.

Here's a few pics of progress. I also understand better the hassles associated with timing these motors....

Cyl Head...BTW, that's my redline assy lube

Cyl head, bottom

Cyl Head on block

Timing belt that needs retimed....

I now understand what is such a pain about the timing belt. And the 1Z is supposed to be the easiest!

So much for this week!

Tony

Last edited by TonyJetta; January 13th, 2008 at 19:14.
Old January 13th, 2008, 19:34   #15
dauber
Veteran Member

Looks good Tony. Makes me wish I pulled the head off mine, well then again not. Glad to see I was not the only one spending my weekend wrenching on a B4. Looks like you will be driving her soon.