Tony's B4 Project

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Thought I'd start a thread w/ some pics of what I started with...pics will come later ;)

So, I bought it as a basket case: PO let the timing belt go & pulled the head to find out he did not wat to put the money into it.

While waiting for the head I have:
1) Completed the ventectomy
2) Deleted 5th injector
3) Replaced all vacuum / boost lines
4) Ordered all parts to get ready to reassemble everything
...a) Timing belt & rollers
...b) water pump
...c) head gasket set
...d) new hoses (U/L/heater, etc)
...e) Frost heater
5) CCV mod in progress
6) Replaced not-so-clear hoses with motorcycle poly tubing

Work still to be done:
1) Install head & make it run ;)
2) Recover drivers seat
3) CLEAN the interior...smells like BO
4) Fix dent in R-Rear quarter
5) 4-wheel brakes
6) Console lid hinge broke
7) basic maintenance to brin it back to operational status

More to come!

Tony

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ninedee_golf_tdi said:
Clean the intake manifold ? Order head bolts ? Intake/exhaust manifold gaskets if they arent in the set ?
Done...Done...Done

Something odd I observed when bleeding the brakes:
Neither front caliper would bleed until I pressed (hard) on the pedal. Then it went to the floor. I pumped a few times and then everything bled just fine. Ran out of time, so I could not test the pedal pressure with the system closed back up. Using the power bleeder, I was certain that no air entered the system.

Could the master be bad?

Keep in mind I've never driven this car, so I have no idea what all the systems need.

Tony

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
TonyJetta said:
Something odd I observed when bleeding the brakes:
Neither front caliper would bleed until I pressed (hard) on the pedal. Then it went to the floor. I pumped a few times and then everything bled just fine.
Did gunk come out with the initial hard push? If so, I'd say it was "gunky". I had problems with one wheel when I did mine. I assumed that something was clogging it, and with the proper pressure, that something stopped clogging it.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
rdkern said:
Did gunk come out with the initial hard push? If so, I'd say it was "gunky". I had problems with one wheel when I did mine. I assumed that something was clogging it, and with the proper pressure, that something stopped clogging it.
Oh, yeah! It was almost black with gunk! Even after 3 or 4 times pushing the pedal, it was still brown! I let the bleeder run ~3-5 minutes & it cleared right up. My biggest concern right now, is if I blew a seal in the master.

Almost forgot...I also bled the clutch.;)

Tony

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
If you blew the seal you'll know soon enough. Good luck! And remember - every 2 years and this won't happen again.

dauber

Veteran Member
Ok, just wondering I saw one on ebay similar to what you found.

I would love to find one for a project like that. Post some pics when you get a chance. If you don't mind saying how much did you have to give for the project?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought the car for $1k....A little more that I would have liked to pay.

From an appearance perspective, it's a lot less than desirable. The PO tried to run it into the ground. He apparently had the mentatlity that 130k and the car's life is over.

I'll see if I can get shots of it tomorrow morning. BTW...Green, clear coat peeling, with tan interior, drivers seat ripped, sunflower seeds all over, and BO stench!

I pulled the intercooler today...WHAT A MESS! I think the PO lost the power steering at some point. The outside-front of the intercooler was black with oil & dirt. I've got to get some gloves! I'll be taking it to the local car wash & using the engine cleaning function to get rid of the gunk! The intercooler was ~90% blocked, on the outside. What I can see of the inside is quite clean. Don't see much oil. So, how much power is gained or lost from the intercooler?

I also got the water pump & most of the accessory drive back in place.

Pretty much waiting for the lower timing cover; the original was cut when the belt went. Which is OK...I have plenty to keep me busy. Bad thing (Maybe, maybe-not) I have to go back to work on sunday! Oh, well, keeps me from spending money!

Tony

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, I cleaned the intercooler & piping today.

Found a 1/4" hole worn into the top tank of the intercooler. I have a guy in Texas that sounds like he has a few of the Passat intercoolers that are not usable; tryng to get my hands on just the top tank and have a local radiator shop swap the tanks.

Tony

merkerguitars

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta
Sounds like a pretty fun project. Thankfully to the resources here you shouldn't have to spend alot of money on it to get it running.

It amazes me on how dumb some car owners are, Recently a guy sold his 2.0L beetle cause he didn't want to spend the $500 on a timing belt job. The worst is when people figure they don't need to do the timing belt on a TDI.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
merkerguitars said:
Sounds like a pretty fun project. Thankfully to the resources here you shouldn't have to spend alot of money on it to get it running.

It amazes me on how dumb some car owners are, Recently a guy sold his 2.0L beetle cause he didn't want to spend the $500 on a timing belt job. The worst is when people figure they don't need to do the timing belt on a TDI.
I ABSOLUTELY agree with everything you say!

The PO was CHEAP! However, when you consider a car that can get upwards of 40MPG, how do you not maintain it particularly considering fuel prices keeep climbing?

If I did not have all the resources on this site (past, present, and future), I would not even CONSIDER this project.

Updates:
Now have pics in the gallery, here's a sampling:
*engine block after cleaning

*Cyl head before Frank's work

*Interior (YUK!)

*exterior (YUK!)

Work to be done:
Install head
Time motor
Assemble accy drive
Reinstall intercooler (Found one in Texas)

Parts waiting:
Alternator is at local rebuilder; Should have cost early next week
Sent Injectors off to Frank - All 4 failed pop-test at local diesel shop; Should be back mid next week. Frank is also going to set them up with PP520's. WOOOHOO!

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A little more progress over the weekend: Head on, Timing ALMOST perfect; checking it found to be slightly off, no interference, but on verification it was a few degrees out. Will time it again, when I get time next weekend. Reminds me of an old 'YES' tune, "I've seen all good people"..."Cause it's time, it's time in time with your time and its news is captured"...but I digress.

Here's a few pics of progress. I also understand better the hassles associated with timing these motors....

Cyl Head...BTW, that's my redline assy lube

Cyl head, bottom

Cyl Head on block

Timing belt that needs retimed....

I now understand what is such a pain about the timing belt. And the 1Z is supposed to be the easiest!

So much for this week!

Tony

Last edited:

dauber

Veteran Member
Looks good Tony. Makes me wish I pulled the head off mine, well then again not. Glad to see I was not the only one spending my weekend wrenching on a B4. Looks like you will be driving her soon.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
TonyJetta said:
I now understand what is such a pain about the timing belt. And the 1Z is supposed to be the easiest, Tony
Actually, I have mixed emotions about this. I'd much rather put a timing belt on a 1Z, but hate to get everything exactly right. ALH is MUCH easier to get the belt on exactly right.

Pushing down on the pump pin while stretching the belt really does make all the difference.

I'd also like to dip in used TDI oil the engineer that designed the lower TB cover. PITA!

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
paramedick said:
I'd also like to dip in used TDI oil the engineer that designed the lower TB cover. PITA!
I've had that thought several times....and I have yet to get to the lower timing cover!

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I had a little time last night. I figured before I tear the belt off and restart, lets take a closer look. Sure enough, the timing was right on! Cranked the motor over by hand 8-10 times and rechecked it 3 times. Every time when the flywheel mark was lined up, the pump pin went it straight and easy, and the cam locking plate went in with the same 0.0025" shim on each side!

Must have been tired when I checked it the first time. :rolleyes:

Onward and upward!

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jollyGreenGiant said:
Looking good! Frank06 does nice work.
Thanks....And, yes he does!

So the motor is now RUNNING! WOOOHOOO! :D:D:D

I'll have pics up later this weekend.

Thought I had a leak on the turbo oil return line...turns out I forgot to tighten the vavle cover :eek::eek:

In addition to everything already listed, I had the alternator rebuilt locally: New brushes & bearings, also had the slip rings turned down. The unit was so clean, I would have swore it was a new alternator!

So far:
*No engine codes
*Central locks are working, except for the fuel door, which sounds like it's leaking.
*Critical lights appear to be working (Brake, turn, headlights, dash indicators) Looks like dash gauge illumination needs bulbs.
*Multiple interior door handles need to be replaced
*L-Rear window does not roll down
*Mirrors are flaky to adjust, almost like the motors need to be exercised
*Suspension rides like a boat - Thinking about new struts
*1 CV boot and both steering boots need to be replaced
*CV Joints 'sound' fine; no noise
*Shifter needs adjustment

Still got a bit of work to go. But it's running, so the pressure's off!

Tony

dauber

Veteran Member
congrats! go get some miles on her now.

The fuel door has a lock on it? I did not know the B4's had that.

I also need to replace some dash gauge lights. I guess those lights being on all the time take a toll. I will upgrade to the VR6 or Euro light swith someday.

EDIT: I answered my own question at lunch time. I check the fuel door and it was locked with car.

Last edited:

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
Tony: Here is support for the work of the "re-build" on that B4...:) !

1. The reason the rear window does not move is that the wires to the motor are cut/cracked from usage.
The wires need to be spliced and then it will work(I believe; 1. orangy and 2. green wires are at fault)

2. Replace suspension with Bilstein HD's at least (& Neuspeed springs)
3. After replacing the CV's(or the boots), put a CV cover/heat shield on the passenger side one(there are two holes for bolts, cover can be made from large coffee metal can) to protect form turbo heat at traffic lights/in town stuff.

Good luck, glad that it IS running!

PS. I have access to a B4 Variant that needs rebuilding, body IS good but motor?
ANYONE interested on that B4 Variant plum color?
PM me...

dauber

Veteran Member
bikeprof said:
3. After replacing the CV's(or the boots), put a CV cover/heat shield on the passenger side one(there are two holes for bolts, cover can be made from large coffee metal can) to protect form turbo heat at traffic lights/in town stuff.
Thats a great idea bikeprof, I was relieved that my passenger side CV shaft is new on my car so I was looking to protect it but the price for the shields have gone up quite a bit. Coffee can seems like a cheap alternative. Maybe put some rubber spaces on the bolts to prevent vibration.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for replies fellas!

I verified last night that the dash lights are working...So no issues there.

bikeprof,
I'll check the rear dor wiring this weekend.

Yeah, the Billsteins are what I'm leaning towards. The more I drive it, the less I like the current condition of the front suspension. I'll have an alignment shop look it over, just to verify it's not something quick & cheap. I'll probably order the billsteins from Aaron. And, just do the CV boots at the same time, since it will be torn apart anyway.

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No updated for the last 2 weeks...been busy with car & family.

So I decided to move up to the billsteins on all 4 corners. Including ball joints, bushings, strut mounts and strut bearings. Also have new upper shock mounts too. I'm in there...just want to do it once; I HATE doing it over!

I also found the inner right tie rod to have ~1/8" slop in the ball-socket joint. I think that explains the acceleration pull to the left & deceleration pull to the right. Given that both rack boots are torn, I plan on replacing both tie rods, and boots.

Unfortunately (or not) I have some family commits and won't be able to rebuild the front suspension at the same pace I got the car running. So it'll take about 2 weeks. :mad: Oh, well. I just have the momentum and want to keep it going.

Also found the sunroof electrical was unplugged. So, plugged it in and found no operational issues. Unfortunately, I did break the mounting screw holes on the overhead trim peice. I'll try fiberglassing the screw holes back together before buying another. I did pull the sunroof out to access/clean the drains; they were clean, water freely flowed out of them. So I adjusted the sunroof, when I reinstalled it. Didn't help; still have a leak, mostly at the rear. According to bently, there is enough tension for the seal; it needs to be replaced. There goes another $80!

Also found the following parts also need to be replaced:
1) The fuel door lock actuator (part of central locks)
2) 2 rt inner door handles and their mounts
3) lt rear outer door handle
4) The oil filler neck on the vavle cover
5) The rt front door locks by key; looks like it just needs a lock lever

Also found the steering wheel loose; Fron what I've read, it's kinda common - just need to pull the airbag & tighten the nut.

Also had the car detailed. Did not do much for the exterior, but the interior cleaned up nicely. I'll have some pics of the motor and interior in the next few days.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
TonyJetta said:
Also found the following parts also need to be replaced:
1) The fuel door lock actuator (part of central locks)
To save a few $$, remember that it's the same part on the A3 Jetta. Lots of Jettas in salvage yards with locking fuel door, not so many Passats.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was not aware the A3's had the same style central locks. I'll have to keep that in mind!

Thanks!

Tony

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Tony,
Please shoot me a PM tonight. I think I have a fuel door lock actuator for you. I am work now, will forget by then.
Ray

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Latest update

Front suspension rebuilt:
* Bilstein struts
* New (stock) bushings
* New ball joints
* New tie rods
* New steering rack bellows
* New tie rod ends
* Rebuilt CV joints (all 4)
* Replaced front brake hoses (dry rot)
* Bled front brakes (yet again)

Well, at least the front does not float like a boat over the bigger bumps. Just the rear. Waiting until next weeked to do the rears.

The front suspension on these cars is quite easy to work on. The only special tools is the strut tool (metalnerd) and a spring compressor. No need for the spring comressor on the car, the strut/spring comes out as an assy.

The only real PITA are the rack boots, and tie rods. Don't bother with the lisle tool. You need a 32mm crows foot wrench. AFAIK, nobody makes one. So I did. I'll post pics later.

I have a vibration that I think is isolated to the RF tire/wheel. Need to rotate that one to the rear to see if it clears up. That rim also has visible damage from someone greeting a curb or rock.

I also changed the gear oil yesterday. I was surprised that it was still golden in color. Still smelled like old nasty gear oil.

Left to do:
* replace rear shocks
* Replace left interior door handles/mounts
* Replace RF door lock lever - found out why I can only lock/unlock pass front door w/ key.
* Replace LR exterior door handle. got one from tdiparts.com, but it was pre-broken. Peter working on a replacement.
* Install front seat covers
* Sort out boost / wastegate adj. (separate thread)
* Sort out rear window / mirror defroster issue (separate thread)
* tighten steering wheel (rocks side-side)

Will post pics later.

Tony

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:
* Rear shocks installed
* Replaced rear shocks
* Replaced left interior door handles/mounts
* Fixed RF door lock lever - Needed a small plastic lever
* Sorted out boost / wastegate adj.
* Rear window / mirror defroster issue seemed to be tied to relay 109; no issue since and not enough moisture in the AM to fog widows over.
* Had to replace the radiator and plastic water outlet flange in the head. Both had a small overnight leak. It's been 5 days and no issues. Also adds to my peace of mind, driving in the desert heat.

Interior cleaned up:

Dash:

Engine:

To do:
* Figure out front end vibration issue - tires getting balanced tomorrow.
* Figure out why LR door handle does not lock - probably needs new door lock mechanism
* Install CD player - decided to buy new radio & speakers. 1 or 2 speakers are blown. Don't need max tunes, just something decent.

While I was adjusting the wastegate, I had a lot of freeway miles. I couldn't resist it and checked MPG: For 6 gallons, I averaged 44mpg. This tank has ~500 miles at ~37mpg. Everything seems to be falling right into place.
Tony

Last edited: