www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 30th, 2007, 17:42   #1
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1175 record tank
Default don't buy from prothe/emiata/ volkswaparts.com

I just finished puting in a turbo on my car I hope it works after all this work. not really worth the $300-$350 savings.
1. it cost $279
2. had to rotate intake nozzle 180 deg
3. had to remove vac actuator
4. had to cut casting off intake shell that held vac mod
5. had to rotate exhaust side to line up oil lines
6. had to drill & tap new & proper location for vac line hookup
7. had to block off incorrecty located vac hole (drill & tap inside of port m6 x1
8. weld mounting ears to attach cold air tube to turbo
9.grind exhaust side so as to get a modified socket on nut to mount the turbo onto the manifold
10. modify old vac actuator to fit new turbo (new one not worth the fight to fit)
12. get 3/16 x 1 3/4ish o-ring and shave it to fit intake part of turbo to cold air tube due to new on .045 under stock

if it runs tomorrow. ****ing priceless do not attempt this unless you can laugh at yourself for being cheep and can weld aluminum.
will post pics of the bastardized unit if I can figure it out.
this is what the guy sold me
http://www.dieselvw.com/T15Turbo.htm
ipex has it for $635 drop in why o why me oh my

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/germ...assa_9166.html
mittzlepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:21   #2
philh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/44/37

Turbo looks very cheap. Sounds like a PITA. Good luck!
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:22   #3
dieselyeti
Veteran Member

Yeeesh. That install sounds like a nightmare. Last fall I had the blower on my '98 replaced @ 175k - I bought a brandy new turbo from IndigoBlueWagon and had the dealer put it in. I paid $500 for the turbo which was half of what the dealer would've charged for a reman. Unreal.

Stealership parts depts... Pish!

I was diesel when diesel wasn't cool...
dieselyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 14:30   #4
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

now low power on the uphills like limpmode but no cel have to borrow back my vag-com to find out *** is wrong now. I was hoping for some real go power as the impeller was larger than stock. I hope maybe its the preload on the actuator is lower than needed
Old January 1st, 2008, 17:32   #5
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.ph...00&ppuser=4464
Old January 1st, 2008, 17:55   #6
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

he says he is working on this unit to fit better but who knows. If you look at his web site all the pictures show the turbo but hid all the things that don't fly.like the casting ear for the included actuator hits the manifold when pointed up.
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:49   #7
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

I just saw this turbo on ebay-says its for the 1.8t,not the TDI,although he may have edited the posting.
Old January 6th, 2008, 18:55   #8
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

Klaus sorry for the misspell especially in this case!
Old January 9th, 2008, 17:21   #9
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

well I gave up on that pos turbo not enough kick low/midle/top end ordered one today from tdiparts going to make a jet tubine out of it and mount it on the roof and fuel it with that stupid fifth injector.
Old January 9th, 2008, 18:38   #10
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

Maybe you could put it on your lawnmower.......
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:05   #11
N2OKX

TDI(s): looking

See also the thread at http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=190601 on this topic and add the website turbosandparts.com to the beware list.

Wow! There were three of us going through the same exercise in futility of trying to make a cheap part work. I admire the determination of the other two, but I'm glad I did not go down that road. Since I did not make any alterations to my part, I got a full refund (except for shipping) from eMiata, so all I lost was maybe four hours of precious time. I did get my replacement from tdiparts and had a much better experience. The part was an identical OEM replacement. I still say the eMiata part looked good. I just wish it would fit. The new turbo seems to work great, but my mpg is very poor. I got only 36 mpg on four gallons of fuel. The drive included a lot of small trips, so I'm anxious to try it on a long trip. My gut feeling is that something else in wrong.

By the way, it would seem that 230,000 miles or so may be the life of a turbocharger. I guess that is good, but it is rather disappointing.

As far as buying cheap Chinese parts, I'm not afraid to give them a try. I got a couple of window regulators for this same '98 Jetta. They were made in Taiwan. The price was right and they fit perfect. I now have four working windows. When I started, all four were inoperable.

Windy Gregory
Vee Dub Motors
Kevil, KY
http://www.VWupdate.com
N2OKX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 18:27   #12
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

If i ever thought I could get my money back ( hindsight) I would have.The chinese unit appears fairly well made but somewhere between the actuator and linkage lies a problem. I think more preload is needed on mine but I am done with it. The new unit came from tdi parts.com in a day
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:25   #13
mittzlepick
Veteran Member

I put the new unit in in less that 2 hours seems easy now. replaced the flex tube on the down pipe no more vapors in the cabin, now we willl have to give the kids benedryl on roads trips to sedate them. Now I have a cel I think I damaged on of the egt probes as it was internally bent and would not come out. If anyone changes the flex tube get it from J C Whitney as it come without pipe added to it had to grind them off off the ebay unit prior to install.
Old January 21st, 2008, 17:15   #14
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

This seller of crap sells crap Chinese knock-off TB kits too. A guy in HI had his fail almost out of the box. Several others too. There is a reason the kits are $150.
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:40   #15
bchezick

TDI(s): 97 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 49

Ohhh , Ohhhh , Ohhhhhww !!!!

I'm so mad at this guy. Yeah my turbo is on but what a mess. What a mess. Yeah I got mine to fit after having a custom bracket fabricated for the actuator. The intake on the compressor housing is a different diameter and doesn't have bolt holes to secure the pipe from the air box. I wrapped tape around the compressor intake and tried to seal it externally with silicone but I just can"t reach it much. I think I might be sucking air anyways. Not a happy situation.

I sent him an email asking how the intake is supposed to fit but he hasn't responded. My concern is that eventually the vinyl tape might start melting. I haven't driven it more than about 5 miles at any time yet and its very cold right now so I don't think it has had a real chance to.

And my car is gutless now. I just had the head rebuilt and was expecting a little more zip but now I have less. I think I'm going to call my credit card company and see if they can help me. This is fraud as far as I am concerned.

I should have known better when I noticed there wasn't a phone # to call. I just saw that low price and was seduced.
bchezick is offline   Reply With Quote