www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:27   #1
Rolo

Default Is the tdi an interference engine.

Does it eat valves when the timing belt breaks.?
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:27   #2
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg

yes

search the threads for broken tb
bluesmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 10:28   #3
gern_blanston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/40 (Same as the CBR)

Most definitely an interference engine.
Old December 23rd, 2007, 11:23   #4
paramedick

Absolutely. Bad things happen when the timing belt breaks or skips.

paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 12:04   #5
concours
Veteran Member

Welcome Rolo. YES, things go crash when they break. There are many, many mis-informed "mechanics" and dealerships floating around costing people thousands. You have stumbled upon THE very best forum for repair, maintenance and usage advice for TDI's. Read, read, read... and search, search, search... question EVERYTHING you've been told by the dealer. Collectively sharing ACCURATE technical info here has saved me thousands and many hours of troubleshooting time.
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 16:53   #6
redneck_pilot86

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

They are an interference engine, but a timing belt failure does not 100% guarantee a catastrophic engine failure. I had the tensioner let go on me, I guess the spring inside it slipped around about an inch and released the belt, the engine stalled and wouldnt start, but there was no damage to the head. I do beleive I am the exception to the rule though.
redneck_pilot86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 19:57   #7
merkerguitars
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 46ish

Just ask Frank! Just make sure you do your timing belt on time (or early) and make sure you do it properly and you won't have to worry.
Your Twin Cities area TDI mechanic, can do all sorts of work with over 5 years of experience, just PM if you need service. I work at Midwest Motorworks, just give me a call at 715-381-1100 I'll be more than happy to cure your TDI Woes
merkerguitars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:35   #8
Turbo Dsl Beetle

Fuel Economy: 45-ish most of the time

Can I just say that with 20+ years in the automotive repair business I have never seen so much damage from any other engine when it's timing belt breaks.

Bobby
Turbo Dsl Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:57   #9
Franko6

About what Redneck says...

The worst exception to the rule on skipped timing belts are the ones that you THOUGHT were non-strikes. Then, about a tankfull of fuel later, you are playing bongos with a valve head on a piston.

But yeah, I've seen a handful or so of crashed heads...
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:11   #10
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Dsl Beetle
Can I just say that with 20+ years in the automotive repair business I have never seen so much damage from any other engine when it's timing belt breaks.

Bobby
Really?

Seen what happens to a VW 1.8T, or practically any Honda engine, when its timing belt breaks?

On a TDI, *usually* it will smash up the lifters. The valves *usually* don't break off - although any valve that has taken a hit should be replaced anyway. The pistons, block, and the rest of the head are *usually* salvageable. I suspect it is because the pistons have a straight-line approach to the valves. YES, sometimes a valve will actually break off and wreak havoc. But on almost any engine with inclined valves, which includes practically every multivalve gasoline engine out there, a broken timing belt almost *always* results in breaking at least some of the valve heads off the stems, then the valve head bounces around in the combustion chamber and smashes up the pistons, the head, and scores the cylinder liners all to crap.

No matter ... the point is that if the timing belt breaks, badness occurs.

You can't build a 4-stroke diesel engine that is *not* an interference design.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 18:23   #11
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

Yeah, my cousin's '99 Beetle sort of survived major destruction when a section of teeth ripped off the TB at about 45 mph. In fact, we installed a new TB and the engine ran fine ... for a few days.

A general visual inspection did not reveal the obvious damage to the lifters (cam followers).

The damage to the head occured when the damaged lifters broke to pieces after we installed the new TB (in less than 1,000 miles).

By the way, the TB had "supposedly" been changed according to the stealership where he purchased the Beetle. We concluded that the original TB had actually made it to 105k miles.

I think the '99 Beetle had a 60k TB from the factory. If that be the case, then there is a considerable amout of "safety" built into the change interval.
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (32 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 18:08   #12
ArnoldHarris

Default Assuming all of the above about TDI timing belts...

Assuming all of the above,

1) What is the safe mileage interval with the factory-installed TDI timing belt?

2) What is the safe mileage interval with a replacement TDI timing belt?

3) How can a TDI owner check the condition of his timing belt?

4) How many hours are involved in timing belt replacement?

5) How many hours for timing belt replacement are specified in the VW dealer's shop manual?

6) What special tools are needed for replacement?

7) What other belts should be replaced at the same time?

8) What other replaceable engine parts are there for which the timing belt must be removed to get at them (water pump, oil pump, etc)?

9) What other questions need to be answered about this problem with interference engines in general, and VW TDI interference engines in particular?

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

(2006 VW Jetta TDI; 5-speed manual transmission; B5 user; 30,500 miles.)

Last edited by ArnoldHarris; December 29th, 2007 at 18:10. Reason: grammatical
ArnoldHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 18:26   #13
paramedick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldHarris
Assuming all of the above,

1) What is the safe mileage interval with the factory-installed TDI timing belt?

2) What is the safe mileage interval with a replacement TDI timing belt?

3) How can a TDI owner check the condition of his timing belt?

4) How many hours are involved in timing belt replacement?

5) How many hours for timing belt replacement are specified in the VW dealer's shop manual?

6) What special tools are needed for replacement?

7) What other belts should be replaced at the same time?

8) What other replaceable engine parts are there for which the timing belt must be removed to get at them (water pump, oil pump, etc)?

9) What other questions need to be answered about this problem with interference engines in general, and VW TDI interference engines in particular?

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

(2006 VW Jetta TDI; 5-speed manual transmission; B5 user; 30,500 miles.)
WOW! A bunch of questions in one posting.

Generally, the timing belts are good for the rated duration for the vehicle. There is a possibility of a idler roller or tensioner failure, so you listen for odd noises in the timing belt path indicative of a problem.

Inspection of the TB is mandatory, IMHO. Remove the TB cover when you change the oil. Look for fraying, cracking, missing teeth, or unusual wear on the TB.

I have no clue how many hours VW rates a TB change for. Most of us that do it regularly can change a belt and all components in 3-6 hours.

When the TB is changed, all the idler rollers should be changed, as well as the water pump and tensioner. Camshaft and crankshaft seals need to be changed if there is any sign of leakage of oil. All accessory belts need to be replaced at the same time.

Your last question is interesting. I wasn't aware of any problem with interference engines if properly maintained. My answer is absolutely use the correct oil specified for your car. Absolutely change the TB when required.

Yes, there are special tools needed. Metalnerd sells all the tools you will need in kits. PD engined cars have some additional tools that are needed.
paramedick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 20:00   #14
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-45 mpg

Water pump every time on A4,every other time on A3/B4 TDI's.I don't know about the TB's on your year(A5 platform)-I believe change same items as the A4.
Old December 29th, 2007, 20:45   #15
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG

At 167,687 miles, I changed my TB for the second time.

At that TB change interval, I also replaced the water pump and all three idlers/rollers for the 1st time. And, of course, the tensioner and other belts were replaced too.

The seals and gaskets have not been changed to date (224k miles)... no oil leaking.

The old WP appeared very okay... not loose, not tight, not leaking!

But, one of the three idlers/rollers was definitely near the end of its life. The other two "felt" okay.

Obviously, there was nothing scientific about the inspections. But, its quite obvious these items can go past 150k miles.

Now, having said all that, when I changed my brothers TB at 86k, the WP was showing signs of leaking. The leaking was apparently very small since he had not had to add any coolant up to that point. Sure, the seal could have failed catastrophically at anytime.

I recall the early model VW Diesel water pumps were notorious to "weep" but never come to catastrophic failure. Or, at least in the 28 years I have driven the VW Diesel, I have not had a WP failure.

For those who cannot do their own TB change, etc., the best advice would be to change all those questionable pieces parts at the TB change.. just for peace of mind!

For those of us with the "know-how" and access to a place (garage) to do the work, we can do the inspections and make replacements as needed.

Sure, its a no brainer when it comes to the WP and idlers/rollers as far as the amount of work required to change them .... do it while you are there attitude must prevail when doing the TB change!
'84 Vanagon ALH TDI engine (32 mpg) Malone Stage 1 tune, Polaris Diesel ATV, Allegro Bay RV 5.9 cummins, VWs 41 years, VW diesels 34 years, ALH TDIs 12 years
AndyBees is online now   Reply With Quote