www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 9th, 2007, 09:13   #1
dbeeby

Default immobilize immobilizer? (Car won't start... blinking icon)

Hello! My car was running fine last night and this morning. Later in the morning, when I tried to start it, the car would turn over and catch, but then die. The little "car and key" icon continues to flash on the dashboard, which means that the anti-theft device (immobilizer) is active.

I've tried the following:
- disconnect the battery and touch the leads together for 20 seconds
- open all doors (hood and trunk), close them all, reactivate the alarm
- try several keys (I have three keys that have been "paired" to this car)
- insert key in door lock, turn to left and hold, turn to right and hold, unlock.

Nothing is working and I can find no information on the Internets about how to disable the immobilizer. It's now at a service station in Brooklyn and will be looked at on Monday, but I fear that they're not going to do anything and I'll have to have it towed again to the dealer. Advice?

I posted a similar problem here, but didn't notice then if the immoblizer light was on or not. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151263
dbeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 17:17   #2
wrenchman30
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5
Fuel Economy: 43 best befor egr much better now

take it to the dealer. the immoblizer stuff is very expensive and not a common repair place is going to pony up the dough for the key machines and software. to wire around it you will need a very good eletrical diagram and a electronics person.
wrenchman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 17:27   #3
SilverGhost
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26 - 58 mpg

Sounds like a key going to crap. And after you tried several tricks to get it started the Immobilizer locks down for a while.

When get cars in the shop with your symptoms most often we can get the key to work again, BUT it usually comes back for the same problem. How soon it quits again varies.

And of course every car acts a little different. One car will start the next morning. Another will start with a different key after a while. And then other cars won't start at all until the keys are reprogrammed.

Good luck!

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 17:12   #4
dbeeby

Default it was the immobilizer

I posted a long notice on my blog about the saga: http://beeby.blogspot.com/2007/12/m-...wice-last.html

Chittychittybangbang sent me an awesome link to myturbodiesel.com, which discusses the immobilizer in-depth. The "emergency start function" documentation sounds a little like it's a joke, but I'll try it if/when this happens again.

Thanks for the advice, folks.

D
dbeeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 19:34   #5
weedeater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 54/43/38

If all the keys failed, then I would guess that the 'senso-ring' around the ignition switch went bad.

The game of Bridge is like Sex: You need either a good partner or a good hand.

You're either part of the solution or you're part of the precipitate.
weedeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:37   #6
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-18 towing hwy

I have found one trick that has got me into stuck cars (parking ramps) 4 times now.

Run the full scan on the car and when it's done hit the clear all codes button and start the car at the same time. I think, could be dangerous, since the imobilizer is "busy" it ignores the start and the car runs. I then suggest the other fixes.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:20   #7
tommys69

TDI(s): 2002 beetle
Fuel Economy: avrg 45mpg
Default Keys Won't Work

Went to crank my 02 beetle and the immobilizer won't let it crank. Tried all 3 keys it came with and same thing. Used the suggestion of unhooking and touching 2 battery cables together and this fixed my problem. Car cranks fine and has for 2 days now. This is a very easy fix that the dealership would probably charge you several hundred dollars to preform not counting tow charge. Thank ya'll very much for all the inciteful diagnostics in this forum. Volkswagen should put stuff like this and the anti-shudder valve issue in owner's manual.
tommys69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:51   #8
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
I have found one trick that has got me into stuck cars (parking ramps) 4 times now.

Run the full scan on the car and when it's done hit the clear all codes button and start the car at the same time. I think, could be dangerous, since the imobilizer is "busy" it ignores the start and the car runs. I then suggest the other fixes.
I did this but quite by accident and it worked....just on a whim I auto scanned and cleared and then car ran...but I still sent the ecm to Jeff to have the immob deleted
'You know what? This is a business.' So, now, I just keep my mouth shut and pet my chihuahuas." Mickey Rourkefor sale thread "The junk man cometh' Eurojet FMIC Kit for Sale !!!" Let Me Build Your Standalone TDI Swap Harness!!! PM me for details!!
jimbote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 20:56   #9
TDIHolic

I just had the same problem activating the immobilizer using the wrong key on my 02 Jetta. The 15 minutes wait worked fine, but only after I kept the key on the ignition all the time until the immobilizer light stopped blinking and went off completely. Also, I had to have a battery charger connected to supply the needed voltage to keep the system on during the process because my battery was too weak. If you don’t have an alternative power supply, try removing the headlight fuses to reduce the battery draining.
TDIHolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:42   #10
Ruffrida

Fuel Economy: [URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ruffrida/a3][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-uk/148879.png[/IMG][/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeeby View Post
Hello! My car was running fine last night and this morning. Later in the morning, when I tried to start it, the car would turn over and catch, but then die. The little "car and key" icon continues to flash on the dashboard, which means that the anti-theft device (immobilizer) is active.
I've tried the following:
- disconnect the battery and touch the leads together for 20 seconds
- open all doors (hood and trunk), close them all, reactivate the alarm
- try several keys (I have three keys that have been "paired" to this car)
- insert key in door lock, turn to left and hold, turn to right and hold, unlock.
Nothing is working and I can find no information on the Internets about how to disable the immobilizer. It's now at a service station in Brooklyn and will be looked at on Monday, but I fear that they're not going to do anything and I'll have to have it towed again to the dealer. Advice?
I posted a similar problem here, but didn't notice then if the immoblizer light was on or not. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151263
Not sure it is the same as the 8L A3 but i had this and it turned out to be broken clocks / instrument cluster, you can turn the immo off with vag-com but not idle as it will start with ANY key
Ruffrida is offline   Reply With Quote