Needing some help fixing my NB...

Sam Carleton

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2002 Galactic Blue
My 2002 TDI New Beetle has two problems:

1: The yellow glow plug coil light (left of center, not the red/blue one right of center) comes on and blinks, it goes off some times but it is on more often then not.

2: There is a leak in the coolant system. I use to have to put more radiator fluid in once a week, it is now once a day!

I might very well be able to fix both issues, if I could get some help diagnosing the problem. Is there anyone in the Cincinnati, Ohio, area that could help me? Considering time is money, it will be my pleasure to pay for ones assistance.

Sam

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Have you had the recalled brake light switch replaced? Are the brake lights working properly?

There should be evidence of where the coolant is leaking from at that rate. Most likely areas are the water pump (how long since that was changed?), the coolant flange on the driver side of the cylinder head, or other hose connection.

Sam Carleton

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2002 Galactic Blue
MOGolf said:
Have you had the recalled brake light switch replaced? Are the brake lights working properly?
I ran into the brake light switch issue about two years before the recall came out and then some time after the recall I replaced the switch again. But now that you mention it, cruse control is not working, so that is something to look into. Thanks!
MOGolf said:
There should be evidence of where the coolant is leaking from at that rate. Most likely areas are the water pump (how long since that was changed?), the coolant flange on the driver side of the cylinder head, or other hose connection.
MoGold, When I was changing the oil on the car about a month ago I noticed what looked like the K12 coolant running down the front of the engine block. I have used those coolant pressurization tools on my BMW 740iL in the past to positively identify the location of a coolant leak. I was hoping that someone in the Cincinnati area might have the correct adapter so I could do the same thing with the bug. Needless to say, I am going to be cracking the hood open today to see if there is more evidence then the last time I looked.

With respect to the last time the water pump was changed, that would be by you in 2004 I think. Initially you changed it right around 100,000 miles (2003) but the timing belt kit you installed on my car was one of those that needed to be recalled, so you replaced it with a good timing belt kit around 120,000 in I believe 2004. I currently have 190,000 on the car.

Sam Carleton

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Down the front of the block is possibly the seal where the coolant pipe connects to the block at the "back" of the water pump area.

This thread has pictures of the area of concern.

Sam Carleton

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2002 Galactic Blue
That is my problem exactly! I finished reading through the second page of the post and saw that you have fixed this a few times. Might you have time to fix mine in the near future?

About the flashing coil light, is my impression correct that it is more then likely a glow plug or two are getting tired? If so, I believe there is a way for a layman to check the glow plugs, what might that be?

Sam Carleton
Mason, Ohio

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, a flashing glow plug light indicates a non-emissions fault is detected. A glow plug fault results in a MIL (malfunction indicator light, a.k.a. CEL check engine light) since a glow plug failure results in increased emissions.

The brake light switch was recalled again. Call a local dealer and they can verify that your car is subject to recall campaign N4.

You might be better off finding someone closer to fix the coolant seal. If you brought it here, it would have to sit for awhile so it cooled off. This repair takes a bit of time to accomplish due to the awkward location and the clearances to r/r the pipe.

dieselUFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
MOGolf said:
No, a flashing glow plug light indicates a non-emissions fault is detected. A glow plug fault results in a MIL (malfunction indicator light, a.k.a. CEL check engine light) since a glow plug failure results in increased emissions.
My #2 GP has been dead for awhile so this probably explains why I'm getting more smoke when I get on it.