www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 8th, 2007, 17:12   #1
cgassner

Unhappy Accidentally put a full tank of gas in my TDi :(

I put a full tank of gas in my 2000 Jetta TDi at a BP (which has green nozzle covers on the petrol pumps), drove about 7.5 miles and the car stalled. I had the car towed to a local shop and the fuel tank drained. I replaced the filter and primed it with diesel. I also filled the tank up with diesel & now blowing smoke. When I start the car I can get the RPMs initially up to between 3000 - 4000, but after that initail startup RPMs won't go over about 1500. I've been trying to run it to get all of the residual gas out of the system, but seems that it's never ending!!!! I've run the car for a total of about 3.5 hours. What can I do? Please help. Thanks!
cgassner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 17:29   #2
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Always makes for a curious first post! Welcome aboard, Mr. Gasser

Throw some biodiesel in.

You're doing all the wrong things by trying to drain the fuel system with the engine running.

Anticipate a new pump.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 17:45   #3
tiredandwired

Same thing happened to me, but I drove about 30 mi. on 50/50. It was hard starting, but eventually did and ran before the problem was solved. At the onset of hard start, I had it towed, diesel purged and new filter installed. After two weeks without solving the problem, I drove it, came to my own conclusions, had it diesel purged again and the tank drained. It's been 3 mos. now, no problems.

Good Luck
tiredandwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:59   #4
cgassner

You must have misunderstood me. The tank was drained and the filter replaced before I tried to run the car. The problem I have right now is that I can rev the engine over 2000 RPM by sitting in the parking lot.
As soon as the car moves it won't accelerate over 2000 RPM and the power is cut off, the engine shakes and it starts smoking like hell (looks like it runs way too rich) Checking the Fault Codes braught up a P1248 (Ignition Start Control Deviation). Erasing this doesn't change something.

THX
Chris
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:25   #5
jokila
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Did you purge the fuel from the Injection Pump?
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:26   #6
Antsrcool

this sounds like limp mode but my minds trying to figure out why after gasoline was put in...
Antsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:30   #7
TOBarber
Veteran Member

Would the temp sensor in the injection pump need replacing? Something in the cat?
TOBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 11:08   #8
RT1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5 mpg/9 Year Average - 80% HiWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgassner
You must have misunderstood me. The tank was drained and the filter replaced before I tried to run the car. The problem I have right now is that I can rev the engine over 2000 RPM by sitting in the parking lot.
As soon as the car moves it won't accelerate over 2000 RPM and the power is cut off, the engine shakes and it starts smoking like hell (looks like it runs way too rich) Checking the Fault Codes braught up a P1248 (Ignition Start Control Deviation). Erasing this doesn't change something.

THX
Chris
That doesn't sound unlike a gasser that gets a dose of diesel. It'll run until you put it under load. It doesn't take much to mess up the fuel distribution. I wonder if the pressure of the injection cycle makes any gasoline still in the lines flash to vapor so it doesn't build the pressure at the injector. Maybe crack the injectors to make sure all the gasoline is out and diesel is getting to them? Carefully of course. Gasoline under pressure
sounds like a fire ready to happen.
RT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 05:55   #9
cgassner

A little more info... reading the Bentley's maintenance manual, a small stream of bubbles coming out of the filter to the injection pump is allowable. I'm experiencing a constant (roughly+/- 50%) stream of bubbles flowing. Also, 2000 Jetta GLS TDi with 159,000 miles (thought this might be helpful). This morning I topped off the fuel filter with fresh diesel, pulled ground off the battery for about 10 sec., it was a chilly night and starting is becoming rougher. Idle is a bit rough and much more stalling.
Old November 10th, 2007, 06:11   #10
Franko6

It is possible that you've damaged the injection pump (I.P.). It's doubtful you've damaged the engine. I'm ok with using a purge, but not particularly wanting you to get into biodiesel and have your car stalling from plugged fuel filters.

It's very doubtful it's running in limp mode. The wrong fuel wouldn't cause a limp mode.

The only other thing that can happen is the one-way valves in the fuel sending unit that is under the passenger side rear seat can become clogged (gasoline can act like a solvent in your diesel tank and bust things loose). Make sure fuel is drawing through your filter with a vacuum pump. That may be why you are getting all the extra bubbles in the line. Just because you replaced the filter doesn't mean you got every problem. Also check the return line, as it can clog also.

Good luck.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta

Last edited by Franko6; November 10th, 2007 at 06:13.
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote