www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old November 7th, 2007, 16:42   #1
twigless
Veteran Member

Default Heartbreak! Hallmark: All TDIs are delayed until summer '08

I received this email literally minutes ago...

November 7, 2007
To: All Volkswagen Dealers
Subject: Clean Diesel TDI Launch
Dear Dealer,
I am writing to inform you that the North American introduction of the new Clean Diesel 2.0 li TDI for the Jetta Sedan and Wagon has been delayed from April 2008, to late summer 2008. We will remain the first volume brand offering Clean Diesel in the USA.

This situation is due to a technical issue that was found during the later stages of durability testing.

As disappointing as this is for all concerned, our first priority is to ensure that the integrity and quality of the new technology is not compromised, so as to maintain a trouble free launch.

A new SOP date has been confirmed for July by engineering, and we will initiate our ordering activities i.e. launch cars, dealer orders, etc. in spring. For image and competitive reasons, we are now working hard to bring early promotional cars into the Country in order to give you the chance to pre-sell the production arriving in October, during the Summer months. We will continue to promote Diesel through the Dieselution Tour, Jetta TDI Cup Series, and feature the technology as a part of our Brand Campaign
in the first half of the year.

For reasons of our mutual profitability, we are investigating a number of actions to make up a portion of the TDI shortfall, such as but not limited to, obtaining additional production of high demand product, ramping up the launch production, and speeding up shipment times of the new TDI, bringing in special edition cars etc.

The launch of all other new models planned for 2008 are on time; Jetta SportWagen, Tiguan, Passat Coupe, M-Van and Touareg 2 with V6 Clean Diesel TDI. With all of these new models coming into the market, and even with the delay of the new TDI, we are targeting to grow next year, and this delay will be discounted from the BPB objectives as we have always promised.

We must now take advantage of the launches that are before us, and not let this set-back to our growth strategy cause us to lose focus on the turnaround that we have begun. We appreciate your understanding of the situation and will keep you apprised of any further developments as soon as they are available.

Yours sincerely,
Adrian Hallmark
1999 Cabrio GLS 5m (84k)
2002 Jetta GLS TDI auto (sold@76k)
1998 Jetta Wolfsburg auto (sold@114k)
1986 Golf GL 1.8 gas 5m (sold@138k)
1988 Scirocco 1.8 5m (sold@109k)
1990 Corrado G60 5m (parted@142k)
(and Honda, Fords, GM, BMW, Volvo, Jeep)
my brother: http://www.JeffLudes.com
twigless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 19:33   #2
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

I don't know why anyone would be surprised about this??

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 19:50   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.
Old November 7th, 2007, 19:58   #4
brucep
Veteran Member

TDI(s): peebs4u2
Fuel Economy: best is 56MPG

I work for the largest computer company in the world and can relate to this all too well. All too often somone sets an unrealistic delivery date to satisfy the beancounters or stockholders. It takes real guts to stand in front of that train and delay a major launch. I, for one, am glad that they chose to do the right thing and delay the launch.

I wonder if anyone can tell us what the big problem is that caused this delay?

Now - lets just hope they deliver what they say they will. If this gets pushed into 2009, things for VW may become challanging.

Besides, my 2003 TDI has several more years of life in it. I can wait.
brucep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 21:32   #5
Dodoma
Veteran Member

I don't understand why VW has a problem in getting these so called clean diesels in US when the same cars are being available in Europe. After all, we are not getting any thing new or new technology. What we get is a product that is or has already been marked in Europe. VW is not taking advantage of early delievery of a product that would yield some decent profit and may bring it back to profitiability. And moreover, when it delievers, the quantity is artifically kept low so as to generate high premium and create a myth that it is selling something that is a unique technology. It should learn from Toyota: bring fuel efficient vehicles such as hybrids when time is right (like now) and in large volume/numbers and thereby cutting premium and generating higher profit. VW motto should be same with hybrid replaced by clean oil burners or diesels, rather than exhibiting those diesels around the country and raising false hope about their readily availability when none are availabe yet. I fail to understand VW management thinking. That explains why it has been unsuccessful in US.
Dodoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 21:47   #6
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodoma
I don't understand why VW has a problem in getting these so called clean diesels in US when the same cars are being available in Europe. After all, we are not getting any thing new or new technology.
Not true. This is new technology they're working on. The US's emissions requirements are more stringent than Europe's. The reason that no TDI's have been available is that they didn't meet the new, more stringent emissions standards here. I applaud VW for 'doing the right thing' and delaying production until they can get it done right.

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 23:13   #7
chewy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): None

Too bad about the delay.

VW better not forget that a regular this Jetta gets XX city and XX highway advertisement is a requirement. Dieselution and small scale race all you want, the average consumer still watches TV.

Last edited by chewy; November 7th, 2007 at 23:17.
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 23:16   #8
scrubber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugality
I applaud VW for 'doing the right thing' and delaying production until they can get it done right.
Totally agree. Better to get this straightened out now,
than after the release(see Navistar/Powerstroke)
Still disappointing, though.
scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:40   #9
philosophicaljt

TDI(s): 1.9L TDI

So its a Passat Coupe? WTH? Thats dissappointing. I was hoping for something small and fun to drive.
philosophicaljt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:42   #10
TDI 4 RD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~38 mpg (first tank); 41.2 (second tank); now averaging ~42 mpg.

It's too bad about the delay, but as a 2006 Jetta TDI owner, this means my resale value will continue to hold steady for a few more months.
2006 Jetta TDI (build date Oct. 2005). 185000 miles. Mods: Euro LED Tail Lights, Amber Mode; Rear Fog Light; Aspherical Mirrors (Blue Tint); Osram SilverStar Hi/Lo Beams; DieselGeek SkidPlate; Hella Dynabeams; TDIFrostheater. Best Tank: 632.9 miles on 11.8 gallons = 53.6 mpg (06/08; cruise control set at 65 mph for most of the tank). Member of the 700 club (04/23/08).
TDI 4 RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:53   #11
trinityneo303

Does that list mean no Golf and no NB TDIs at all in the new models? And with the V6 -- is VWoA just interested in *big* cars??
trinityneo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:59   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
Principal IDPartsVendor
w/Business number

It means no A body cars with TDIs. It's the exhaust treatment system that's the problem. The larger diesels use Urea injection and they're not having problems with that...yet.
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:01   #13
DickSilver
Veteran Member

Yes, I too applaud VWOA's delay to work out whatever reliability issue that it is. Remember the clogged intake manifolds of the last series of TDIs? That was due to a band-aid put on the car to satisfy NOx emissions standards.

I can only hope that the new clean diesel technology has done a better job!!
DickSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:26   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Wow. I predicted we would not even see any 2008 MY TDIs. Looks like I was right, as chances are any 'new' 2008 cars brought into the country in 'late summer' may as well be 2009 MY cars. Usually week 39 is the cutoff, but there are some exceptions (my dad's 2003 Element was built in Nov. of 2003?).

Which this means all the "bugs" won't get worked out until 2010 at the earliest.
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:33   #15
robbinsresort
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 city, 40 hwy (80mph)

Makes me glad I bought my '06 when I did. Don't think the F150 would have made it as my daily until '10.